Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory
For a while she was having a rough start and would sometimes die unless I gave her some gas. Then one day after a lot of driving and some idling that almost felt like I lost a ton of power and it would pulse on acceleration. Turns out oil was low and I had it changed and it seemed back to normal still alittle rough start but better snd not as noticeable. Finally one day I was driving home from work and I heard a terrible screeching noise that evolved into this knock. I also checked my oil filter and found some metal shavings. If anyone has any idea please share it bc I’m not too sure. I believe it’s either a spun crank bearing or something in timing chain.

Here's a vid to maybe help

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,746 Posts
I believe it’s either a spun crank bearing or something in timing chain.
I concur.

But why? where might the point of failure be?
It's in the engine somewhere. Really, it's going to be awfully hard to diagnose where the failure might be based on a YT video. At the very least it sounds like the timing chain system needs to be thoroughly gone through. Maybe the sound is a failed chain tensioner letting the chain bounce around too much?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts