Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled one out (nail) yesterday for at least the 20th time since I've been driving. I gotta say most times I've found a nail or screw in my tire its been in my garage. That makes it easy to fix as I have a tire inflator, plugs, pliers and plug tool in my tool box. What if I was out on the road, out of town in the middle of no-where. I'm a very hands on car owner and I know that only applies to some of you out there. I came across this kit on a motorcycle site that is really compact has all you need and its pretty cheap $35. Check it out:

http://www.motopumps.com/inventory/images/inventory pictures/56_3.JPG

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
happened to me once a few months ago...
i dont know how long it was in there (it was in there pretty well) -- i took it to the gas station that had its own little garage next door.
guy pulled it out, filled it, did what he had to do, ... i gave him 15 bucks and walked..err..drove... out happy :)

i'm sure some people will use that, it seems like something that can/will come in handy, and its not something that'll take up too much space in your car.
just pop the spare tire lid & store it in that compartment.

thanks for sharing mjd

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
I've been told several times that repairing a speed rated tire puncture is illegal. The tire must be replaced. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
Koz I think it has more to do with racing on that tire after a repair then repairing the tire itself. My tires came with insurance per say that if the tire is damaged and cannot be repaired, the company will replace it.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac EXT
49 Posts
Please,please, doNOT use any type of quick plug repair on tires. Tire must be broke down and repaired from the inside, or replaced..
Plugs are ok for (low rpm`s)farm tractors, mowers, etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree with riche. The cheap DIY plug kits aren't safe as a plug applied from the outside of the tire will work itself loose and come out (the cement used is not strong enough). Fine if it is in your garage, bad if it is on the highway. The best repair is done with a patch or a patch/plug combo that is applied from the inside of the tire by a professional at a tire shop. The patch won't come loose, and if it were to leak, it would be a slow leak instead of a catastrophic pressure loss.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
I had one of those "sidewall" nails when my car was about 2 months old. Naturally it couldn't be repaired GRRRRRRRRRRR. Dang tire was practically brand new.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Plugs are good for emergencies only.
You can repair a speed rated tire just like a conventional tire depending on where the damage is in the tire itself.
Essentially the outer tread and the sidewall are off limits.

If a tire goes flat on the road you can use a plug kit to repair it, then get the car to a shop for a proper repair or a new tire.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
I used to have a kit made in Germany that had plugs with a big head that you could use a tool to insert them from the outside and they would unfold after they were installed. It made a good repair that never blew out but was difficult to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts