Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a circular black button on the dash, below and right from the steering wheel (on a RHD '99 STS) which has a little white picture of what looks like a speedo. I can press it in, and rotate it from left to right. When playing with it I heard a noise like an air compressor from the rear shock (drivers side).

Without wanting to sound really dumb..what is it? :) And could me pressing and rotating it have led to the 'ID 84 Service Suspension System' message coming up on the dash board? What setting should I leave the button at?

Is there anything that I can do to ascertain exactly what is wrong with the suspension before I take it to Cadillac dealership to sort it out?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
'98 Seville STS
8 Posts
Sounds like the interior lights dimmer setting. If you have your lights on at night you can adjust the brightness of the dash lights with that.

It was pure coincidence that the air compressor was going at the same time. Sounds like you do have a suspension issue and if you don't want to mess with it I would suggest that you do take it in to the dealership. I would clear the codes first and see if it comes back before taking it in though.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Yes, that is the instrument cluster illumination dimmer knob.

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
On some models they put the self detonation trigger there, the knob was used for adjusting the explosives setting. You have to check your manual first.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
Being an export model, I have no clue, but your owners manual should have the answer.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
AKA LFE (Left Seat Eject) button, but only if equipped with a sun roof.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks guys, cars over here tend not to be as well equipped as US cars hence not as many buttons to guess! :)

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I assume you've a black/black car ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts