Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS V, 98 ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm traveling to DC Sat. to purchase my latest girl. She's a 98 ETC w/30k miles. I've been looking awhile and for 6k I think it's a GOOD deal. The owner just informed me that a interested buyer talked him through a code history check on the car and somehow when he was done the AC no longer functions. Does this sound plausible to anyone? The owner has several Cadillacs (5) in his stable and I have no reason to doubt him (besides he's trying to sell me a used car) and I just wondered with the wealth of wisdom here if
anyone has come across such a problem. He's a busy business owner and says he can't get the car into service before I arrive and since he accidently messed it up pushing buttons that it should be a easy fix. Please respond SOON, I'm getting on the plane in three days. Otherwise the car looks showroom nice. It's been garaged in a climate controlled garage all it's life. THANKS

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There's no way the A/C ceased to function by pulling codes through the DIC.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,416 Posts
Nope - the diagnostic code retrieval process would have no bearing on A/C condition or operation.

Perform your own code pull when you get to the car and form an opinion. A/C trouble codes can be expensive and would be a bargaining tool.

Study the proper model/year sections of the sticky post on this main threads page - "How to pull codes". The same sticky will have a link to definitions of all OBD-II codes. (Diagnostics and codes changed in 1996)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,318 Posts
Nah, I agree with MC & Sub. No way that would cause the A/C to not work. Something else is going on. If it is below about 35 Degrees, the compressor will not engage, except in defrost mode. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
07 CTS V, 98 ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My daddy taught me never say never. I was an instrument engineer before retiring and worked on several DCS systems (distributive control) and I've seen techs. on several occasions enter the wrong codes on the hand held communicator and lock up the system tight as a drum and these were systems costing millions. The factory always said "that can't happen" but it can and does. Any way I looked up other people asking similar questions and found a match on this site so thanks for responding. I'll get her going in no time.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,005 Posts
My daddy taught me never say never. I was an instrument engineer before retiring and worked on several DCS systems (distributive control) and I've seen techs. on several occasions enter the wrong codes on the hand held communicator and lock up the system tight as a drum and these were systems costing millions. The factory always said "that can't happen" but it can and does. Any way I looked up other people asking similar questions and found a match on this site so thanks for responding. I'll get her going in no time.
-----------------------------
I've seen techs. on several occasions
enter the wrong codes on the hand held communicator
and lock up the system tight as a drum

the problem with THAT theory is that
our systems are ONE-WAY SCANNERS - not "communicators" -
they can only READ codes -
they can not CHANGE ANY parameters -

·
Registered
07 CTS V, 98 ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the car to the local Cadillac store here in town and had a friend look at it and he told me to take it home and disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes and hook it back up. I did as he asked and holy mackerel, what do you think happened? The climate control system came on and stayed on. I checked all the possible ways the system could work and it passed with flying colors. So, the guy who sold me the car and told me what happened in my opinion was being absolutely honest. I took it out today to get the title transferred and put plates on it and even the guy who inspected it kept remarking how nice the car was and couldn't believe it was a 98. Every person wanted to know where I got it and if they had any more for sale. I have to say owning over 100 cars in my lifetime that this car is one in a million and I just got lucky with this one. I usually buy cars, do any needed repairs drive them awhile and then sell them but this one will be hard to part with. I really enjoy it more than the CTS V I had last year. When I get a chance I'll put up pictures of the V and this car. In my mind it's not even close, I'll take the ETC every time. WOW, I just became a Cadillac guy. Now I realize why that's all my dad would drive. So, I guess I'm a second generation Caddi man.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,318 Posts
For future reference, you probably could have accomplished the same thing by pulling both battery cable and touching them together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts