Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently flushed the coolant and changed the thermostat on my 99 eldorado. I did this because coolant was leaking from the overflow when car was running at normal operating temperature. Now coolant does not leak under normal operating temperature, but leaks when not driven and engine is cold. I took some pics of where the leak is. It looks like its coming from the back of the engine between the two front wheels. It makes a drip per minute. Any Ideas?
I have some pics that I took today. Also, could it be because I didn't add the 3 coolant sealant tabs. I read that somewhere today when browsing around.
Here's the pics! Pics taken from underneath car.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
Yeah, that ^^^ With coolant dripping off the passenger side output shaft housing the heater pipes are the only leakers back there.

The proper coolant level with the entire system cold is about halfway up in the reservoir - 2 - 3" down from the inside of the filler neck.

If you find that the pipes are rusted and can't find them (www.gmpartsgiant.com or Chris at Rippyparts, up in Vendors) you may elect to use high quality heater hose - BUT do not create a high spot in either hose run - you form a curve or loop any higher than the middle of a cylinder head and you create a perfect spot for air binding - trapped air bubble - and you'll play hell getting the heater to work due to no coolant flow. The problem with using hose is that the rear exhaust manifold is right there and there's a real danger of burning the hose.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Crossover gaskets on bank 1 will run across the transmission and can show up on the ground at the center and even to the passenger side of the car. That doesn't mean the coolant tubes are an issue but they are more likely to leak on the passenger side. You can see the bank 1 upper X-over gasket here behind the EGR valve. With a flashlight if you look straight down between the coolant tubes by the EGR you will see if coolant is pooling on the transmission case.

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you hit the spot! There seems to be coolant in that area when i looked with my cell phone light. Now I gotta figure out how to fix this.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Its a rough job. I posted a thread w/pics when I did this job last August.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/208930-i-started-coolant-crossover-reseal-today-4.html

Just double check the coolant tubes & hose clamps back in there for leaks & verify a gasket is leaking.

You don't want to jump into this job if it's unnessesary.

I had a difficult time nailing down the location of the leak I had. You want to get the engine hot & pressurized maybe you can coolant leaking or spraying.

·
Registered
99 Eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been reading the forums and I added half a Bar's Leak tube powdered G12BP that I bought at Walmart for $2. Drove the car for about half an hour and let the car sit for a day and only noticed a small little spot. I added the rest of the tube with a small amount of 50/50 dex-coolant and the mysterious leak is GONE! Its been a week now and there is no more coolant loss. Also when starting the car it fires perfectly! Previously, the car would be a little groggy for a few seconds from time to time. This N* is interesting! Now its time to figure out why my power windows work intermittently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts