Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has wanted a jeep since she began driving. Her parents were not easily sold on the idea, so life goes on. About 8-10yrs ago she began talking about wanting one again. I eventually ran out of excuses so we started looking. We stumbled onto a 2004 TJ Unlimited. My wife drove it and looked me in the eyes and said, "buy me this jeep!" So, I did what any peace loving husband would've done.

Pic from a creek bed in our woods, or the testing grounds as I like to call it!

Yeah, I guess my wife is the coolest girl I know. A jeep and a vette, although on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, they are both built to perform, in their own way. She loves em both!

Next up, some off road jeep trips, and let's begin building that machine!

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,595 Posts
Righteous-looking vehicle. Would probably winch that Corvette right out of a snowbank ............ :sneaky:

(Karen is bugging me for a Ford Ranger. I caught hell when I sold the F150 4X4 Super Cab.)

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend with a v8 YJ, that thing is a handful! I drove it one time and found myself chasing the back end when I rolled into the throttle, it wasn't any better when I left off of the throttle either hehehehehehee..

Vette has spent a lot of time in the garage since bringing the jeep home. Its odd to think that we'll walk past our mid life crisis car to drive our mid life crisis jeep lol

Fortunately Sub, Ford is about to produce, or already is producing the truck that would put a smile on your wife's face! When you cave, be sure to post up some pics!

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few days after we bought the jeep, I needed to go outta town for work. That sucked, I wasn't able to properly shakedown the jeep before leaving my wife with it. Fortunately, everything was ok and my wife enjoyed getting to know her newly acquired driver for the next couple of months.

I returned home itching to go somewhere. While away I was researching off road parks and decided on one. We went with another experienced couple and hit the open road, in search of trails!

We had a great time and visited two other neighboring states. The decision to visit one park quickly grew to a couple of parks and some national forest trails. While on one of the trails, I was so enamored with our lil jeep and its stock off road capabilities that I remarked, they're like a donkey, they will fearlessly go just about anywhere! It was at that very moment, that our silver LJ was assigned the moniker, "donkey"

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,323 Posts
MrHolland, you did what any right thinking husband would do. You caved. Me and my bride are about to hit 50 years. It's just easier and more peaceful to say "yes, dear". That said, I would have figured she would want a red one, with front & rear winches, dual fire extinguishers, first aid kit, strobes, and reflective chevron on the rear. Bosch tools optional. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the 50!

Yeah, she wore me down over the years lol. As for bright red, winches, med kit and extinguishers, well,,,she's not quite as flashy as I am

·
Registered
874 Posts
Interesting. Where are the pics taken?

Last summer I was staying with an RV in Moab. My neighbour in the camping site towed a Jeep. Turned out he was Englishman living in the states - so we got a good Europe/Brexit talk.

I asked what he did with the Rubicon Jeep. He was going on the White Rim Road in the Canyonlands.
Went up to Island in the Sky and looked down on the mentioned road.

There I understood why in the hell offroad and powersport vehicles are so popular in USA. (And I still consider if/how to rent a Jeep and try this road when going on holiday in California next October)

Hope you get many good experiences with the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those pics were taken in SW Mo and NW Ark.

Moab is on the lists of places to go! This July we're going to Colo to do
Black bear
Telluride
Imogene
Yankee boy basin
Ouray
Million dollar hwy

That's day 1 of a 5 days in Colo, I can't wait!

Rent you jeep and go explore, some might consider it a near religious experience!

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The probably the easiest, most cost effective way to add performance to a jeep is with swaybar disconnects. It doesn't do a lot, but it will free up a lil more suspension travel.

Baby flex

Well, its something anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After the disconnects were installed, it was time to try em out. So we got our donkey train together and once again hit the road in search of some offroad fun!

The angle on this pic is deceptive. The second jeep is actually quite a bit bigger than mine. He's riding on 33s, 4in lift and long arms. Its a capable machine

The Steps!

And yes, it made it to the top, but just barely. I can see I have reached the limits of my,,,,,,I mean my wife's jeep. I am in need of parts, and so the journey begins!

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is a perfect vehicle for leisure.
I have seen many RVs towing a Jeep.
Park the bus in a pull through and go on adventure with the Jeep.

If I lived in US I would plan my retirement in that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
You’ll need 35s, lockers, massive skid plates, real tow hooks, a proper winch and rocker panel bars if you want to try the Rubicon trail. :). My neighbor has one that’s competitive and it’s a real monster. Shorter wheelbase than yours though.

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's get to the "build" part of the jeep. It was a lot fun stock, and capable for being stock. Since its an Unlimited, it came with a rear D44 limited slip and a front LP30. I spent some time researching and decided that I can get by with a D30 under the front. They're certainly not as bad as people make them out to be.

I went to a boneyard and pulled an HP30 out from under an XJ for $150.

LP - Low Pinion

HP - High Pinion, puts the pinion at the top of the housing for better driveline angles, some added strength because the gears mesh on the "drive side" instead of the "coast side" when going forward and because of this require reverse cut gears.

Used my multi-tool to get the housing off the ground so I could pressure wash it

Cleaned up pretty good, but still needs to be hit with a wire brush before primer and paint

3 coats of primer followed up with 3 coats of flat black

Yeah yeah, I didn't paint the cover, that's for an upcoming post.

Painted and sitting in the sun to dry. Its ready to be built, guess I better get some parts on the way here!

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Besides terrible fuel mileage and lack of power, TJs are known for a couple of things. One of those things is faded fender flares. The stock flares seem to be superior to the aftermarket offerings, and unfortunately they're quite expensive. I'm not saying that I wouldn't use aftermarket flares, but before I go that route, let's try something.

The stuff is kind of pricey, for no more than you get, but they also claim up to 2yrs. I'll be happy if it lasts a year.

Scrub the plastic, let it dry, wipe down with alcohol and let dry again. I decided to leave the plastics on the car while refinishing them.

Tiny little bottle prob has enough to do the flares and steps, maybe the bumper corners if used sparingly. I only did the flares because soon I will be removing the other plastics.

I'm happy with the results, hopefully it'll last a year!

The other thing TJs are known for, rattling seats! Seems like I was scrolling through the gram and I came across what appeared to be a very simple solution. I'm guessing this gentleman prob has a 3d printer at home, and is getting paid, I'm not mad at all!

That's all it is. A very simple solution to an annoying problem.

Pull the front bolts to gain access to both sides of the seat

Remove the old plastic bushing, by any means necessary,

to include scratching the seat frame. Replace the old bushings with the above 3 pieces.

Repeat the steps on both sides of both front seats

Use some touch up paint to clean up the scratches and reinstall the front seat bolts.

And thats it, the seats are quiet again!

Now if only the other parts would come in...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts