Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,603 Posts
Given you have 19" wheels it is likely you have FE3 suspension as well. While I understand your budget concerns, I'll go ahead and mention that these cars (with FE3 in good condition) are capable of taking advantage of the very best tires available. Michelin PS4 is a known good one, although there may be others.

Good tires are not wasted on the CTS with FE3. Lesser tires, if used, will be your limiting factor.

Edit: Just remembered the OP has AWD, so the suspension tuning may be FE5 (AKA FE2 with big wheels?). So I don't have personal experience with this setup.
I was about to point that out - AWD really only has the FE1 or FE2 suspension. It really is a limiting factor. Great traction but...

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Performance Collection
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just remembered the OP has AWD, so the suspension tuning may be FE5 (AKA FE2 with big wheels?). So I don't have personal experience with this setup.

Yes, I believe it's FE2 with the optional 19" wheels.

The car is here and it's everything the seller said it would be. Beautiful inside and out and drives very nicely with no rattles, squeaks, vibrations, etc. It had 4,238 miles off the transport truck

Will be doing an oil change and coolant drain/refill this weekend, along with a complete detailing - more fluid changes in the coming weeks. Will get some decent shots and post them!

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,700 Posts
Crazy, who buys a new car and only drives it 4K miles?

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
12,428 Posts
Old people.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,929 Posts
I'm not telling you wankers about my :14
CTS-V with 8000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
12,428 Posts
I'm not telling you wankers about my :14
CTS-V with 8000 miles.
LOL...you just did.

You forgot to mention it's also a Phantom Gray Metallic, 6 spd manual, no sunroof wagon.
Got yurself one sweet unicorn, my man.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
661 Posts
As is so often the case with these things, budgets get blown up quite easily: I found a great deal at a local VIP Auto on Goodyear RS-A2 tires in P245/45-19 - not my first choice of a tire but too good a deal to pass up under the circumstances. They're going on this weekend along with a new set of TPMS sensors.

I appreciate the feedback in the gas discussions. Since no one is reporting any gain from using premium (not unexpected), I'll be filling with regular.

Pics coming this weekend.
Goodyear tires are now garbage. I had the OEM spec Eagle RS-As on my Monte Carlo and all four went flat in six months without ever being punctured. Get the Continental Extreme Contacts. I have a set on my CTS and they are wonderful.
Congratulations on getting the red and ebony combination, and also on the 19's. Enjoy.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,929 Posts
LOL...you just did.

You forgot to mention it's also a Phantom Gray Metallic, 6 spd manual, no sunroof wagon.
Got yurself one sweet unicorn, my man.
Yeah, cool car.
You wankers are on my list. I'll explain when we all hook up at the Canadian Cannonball Run.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,318 Posts
Canadian Cannonball Run, how can that be? they have a queen.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,603 Posts
What's wrong with the Queen? She's a good Sheila and not at all stuck up.

Seriously, though, the Commonwealth is a quaint but interesting construct in 2021.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,696 Posts
I've seen many Goodyear Eagle RS-A's (and he bought the RS-A 2-similar name with a much different tread pattern) go the distance without issues and the GF's 2004 Monte Carlo SS had no issues with hers for 35K miles and still looked good when she sold the car...

although not my first choice in a replacement tire but your RS-A 2 was a popular OEM for the 19" wheel/all season package and it sounds like you scored a good deal...good luck with yours

Bill

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,603 Posts
I've had Eagle RSAs and Michelin Pilot Sports and my nod goes to the Michelins but the GYs weren't bad by any stretch.

·
Registered
16,929 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The wrenching has begun!

Oil change complete with M1 5W-30 EP and a M1 filter. At 4,258 miles the stuff that came out of the crankcase looked pretty ugly.

Did the first drain & refill of the cooling system. Replaced about six quarts with Prestone Dexcool premix, the factory coolant that came out looked like new. In that process it took a while to get all of the replacement coolant in: with the reservoir full and the engine running for about three minutes, the temp gauge read normal, the electric fan came on but the upper hose and radiator were not hot. Tried the burping technique on the upper radiator hose, but no joy. I finally took the car off the ramps and on the third try there was a vacuum under the reservoir cap after running for a few minutes and the rest of the replacement coolant went in without issue. I'm going to do this one more time this summer, so any tricks for getting it to take the coolant is appreciated.

Car needs a detailing, which I'm very much look forward to doing tomorrow.

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sedan 3.6L LY7/LFX Hybrid
252 Posts
I'm certainly not a professional auto mechanic so if I am wrong perhaps one could chime in but I wouldn't worry about getting absolutely all of the coolant out especially if it seemed in good shape. My concern is overheating the engine. I have found the thermostat is not in the usual location in these motors & perhaps still has coolant around it but in an old school engine or perhaps any if you are low on coolant the hoses won't get hot as there is no fluid in them. I guess if your gage says normal you are probably alright as again in old school engine your gage would not move.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oil life display, percent remaining -

The display read 44% when I changed the oil yesterday. I used the ignition to "on without engine running" and three pedal-to-the-metal within five seconds, but it still reads 44%. Tried several times, there must be a trick to this?

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts