Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Performance Collection
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a few posts here so far, and the feedback had been very useful Thank-you!

Now an explanation, and my beginning into the world of Cadillac...

I'm 67 years old and have been a "motor head" since I was 16. My first car in 1970 was a 1966 Mustang convertible that came from the factory with a 289-2V and automatic transmission. By the time I was done with it a few years later, the engine had TRW pistons, Crame cam, Edelbrock, Holley, etc. and converted to a 4-speed stick. I've been wrenching cars as a hobby ever since!

I've had some interesting cars in my life, the last one being a 2007 Subaru Forester XT that I poured an untold amount of money into modding. I bought it new, began modding it at 60k miles and ended up selling it in 2018 at 149k miles, at that time in need of a complete engine refresh. My wife wasn't having anything to do with the refresh, so I sold the FXT and inherited her base model 2009 Volvo S40 (sans AWD and a turbo). It has been reliable transportation but completely uninspiring. I got my giggles doing repairs, maintenance and detailing it.

A few weeks ago I came to the conclusion that I needed something to stir my motor vehicle passion again, whether my wife approved or not. I spent time on ebay looking at the possibilities when I came across this;

As of this afternoon, it's on a covered transport on its way to me in NH.

Due to arrive this week, I'll be doing the following before hitting the road with it;

• syphon the gas tank empty and refill with fresh 93 octane Mobil with a bottle of Techron
  • oil change with M1 5w-30 Extended
  • cooling system drain and refill with Prestone Dex-cool
  • sun roof drain line cleaning and mod
  • a complete mechanical inspection
  • a complete detailing

From there I will begin enjoying my new ride, my passion for wrenching centered on maintenance and keeping the CTS like new for as long as I can (I only drive about 6k miles a year).

I hope this adds some context to my joining this forum, to which I will contribute to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,897 Posts
Good on ya'! Those sunroof drains - follow Thundercad's thread 'Stop the Insanity'... a great read. Glad to have you with us. You do know that this thread is worthless without pictures, lol!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tinman!

Roof drains seem a common ailment on many cars, and those with issues have factory-obstructed terminations.

Photos, oh yeah - I think I can make that happen!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,897 Posts
These are definitely factory created obstructions with the sunroof drains. Poorly designed.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
12,386 Posts
I've made a few posts here so far, and the feedback had been very useful Thank-you!

Now an explanation, and my beginning into the world of Cadillac...

I'm 67 years old and have been a "motor head" since I was 16. My first car in 1970 was a 1966 Mustang convertible that came from the factory with a 289-2V and automatic transmission. By the time I was done with it a few years later, the engine had TRW pistons, Crame cam, Edelbrock, Holley, etc. and converted to a 4-speed stick. I've been wrenching cars as a hobby ever since!

I've had some interesting cars in my life, the last one being a 2007 Subaru Forester XT that I poured an untold amount of money into modding. I bought it new, began modding it at 60k miles and ended up selling it in 2018 at 149k miles, at that time in need of a complete engine refresh. My wife wasn't having anything to do with the refresh, so I sold the FXT and inherited her base model 2009 Volvo S40 (sans AWD and a turbo). It has been reliable transportation but completely uninspiring. I got my giggles doing repairs, maintenance and detailing it.

A few weeks ago I came to the conclusion that I needed something to stir my motor vehicle passion again, whether my wife approved or not. I spent time on ebay looking at the possibilities when I came across this;

As of this afternoon, it's on a covered transport on its way to me in NH.

Due to arrive this week, I'll be doing the following before hitting the road with it;

• syphon the gas tank empty and refill with fresh 93 octane Mobil with a bottle of Techron
  • oil change with M1 5w-30 Extended
  • cooling system drain and refill with Prestone Dex-cool
  • sun roof drain line cleaning and mod
  • a complete mechanical inspection
  • a complete detailing

From there I will begin enjoying my new ride, my passion for wrenching centered on maintenance and keeping the CTS like new for as long as I can (I only drive about 6k miles a year).

I hope this adds some context to my joining this forum, to which I will contribute to the best of my ability.
A formal introduction deserves a formal greeting.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums, NHCTS4-

The listing pics look very nice. I love the Crystal Red exterior with Ebony interior.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
788 Posts
Welcome NHCTS4!
Thats a great find of a CTS4 for sure. Hope your delivery goes off without a hitch.
Craig.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,592 Posts
May go down as the best "first" ownership post I've seen on this forum. Congrats on a lovely ride!

Check the date code on those tires while you're examining the vehicle as I suspect that those are originals and they will be way beyond their expiry date. If they've been replaced by the first owner in the last couple of years, then you've really scored. Either way - she's beautiful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions, and do my best to return the favor when I have something of value to add.

This is also a first for me buying a car unseen and never meeting the seller in person. The seller was first asking $25, which IMO was beyond reason. When he relisted it $19.9k, I made contact with him and had a conversation about the history of the car, how it's been maintained and stored, and most importantly the condition of the car. The car is supposed to be in like-new showroom condition inside and out, was never left outside and has no known mechanical issues other than having the battery replaced a few years ago. It certainly has minimal miles and start-stop cycles. What I do know is that (1) the battery had to be charged yesterday but (2) the car started and was driven onto the covered transport truck (which I consider a good sign).

It's been a nerve-wracking process, but so far so good. I fully expect there will be some issues due to not being regularly operated, but I'll deal with those as they crop up. I guess I'll be finding out soon enough if I got what I bargained for.

Check the date code on those tires while you're examining the vehicle as I suspect that those are originals and they will be way beyond their expiry date. If they've been replaced by the first owner in the last couple of years, then you've really scored. Either way - she's beautiful.
Original tires, so I'll be taking a close look for certain. Having worked at a Goodyear service center a long time ago, they used to replace cracked tires on a wear pro-rated basis. If they look bad, I'll see if they still do so for tires that old. Otherwise it will be Tirerack time.

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,685 Posts
welcome and I look forward to reading your adventures with the new ride...I might rethink the 93 octane fuel and I think 10 year old tires would be gone no matter what but you seem to know enough about cars that you'll come to the best conclusions for your new CTS...

enjoy the ride...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
12,386 Posts
It doesnt work for me
That's unfortunate. Advertised with 4,200 miles (not a typo).
4,068 in the pic showing the odo.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,592 Posts
She's cherry alright. My gawd, like a time machine. I can almost picture Kate Walsh in this one.

Excuse me for a few minutes - I need a moment...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just spoke with the driver, it will be here tomorrow.

This is what's riding on the same truck, I told the driver I have no issue if he leaves me this instead;

·
Super Moderator
12,386 Posts
Thanks- you saved me a phone call.
I must be the delivery after you ;)

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,311 Posts
When u replace the original tires u need to replace the TPM's. Battery life is about 10 yrs.
I would also flush the brake fluid , and power str oil.
Be sure to fully charge the battery.
The gas tank can not be siphoned and there is no drain.
Inspect drive belt on front of engine.
Check oil levels on trans.and diffs.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I might rethink the 93 octane fuel and I think 10 year old tires would be gone no matter what...
As is so often the case with these things, budgets get blown up quite easily: I found a great deal at a local VIP Auto on Goodyear RS-A2 tires in P245/45-19 - not my first choice of a tire but too good a deal to pass up under the circumstances. They're going on this weekend along with a new set of TPMS sensors.

I appreciate the feedback in the gas discussions. Since no one is reporting any gain from using premium (not unexpected), I'll be filling with regular.

Pics coming this weekend.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,675 Posts
As is so often the case with these things, budgets get blown up quite easily: I found a great deal at a local VIP Auto on Goodyear RS-A2 tires in P245/45-19 - not my first choice of a tire but too good a deal to pass up under the circumstances. They're going on this weekend along with a new set of TPMS sensors.
Given you have 19" wheels it is likely you have FE3 suspension as well. While I understand your budget concerns, I'll go ahead and mention that these cars (with FE3 in good condition) are capable of taking advantage of the very best tires available. Michelin PS4 is a known good one, although there may be others.

Good tires are not wasted on the CTS with FE3. Lesser tires, if used, will be your limiting factor.

Edit: Just remembered the OP has AWD, so the suspension tuning may be FE5 (AKA FE2 with big wheels?). So I don't have personal experience with this setup.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts