Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help my out with this major problem???!!

Both my trunk and fuel door keep opening constantly by themselves????

It started a couple of days ago and I have no idea what is causing it, I had to disconnect the battery so that my trunk will not open in the middle of the night by itself.

Any help, suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

`THANKS

·
Registered
2002 seville sts and 1988 brougham
59 Posts
I would try taking the battery out of your keychain and use your spare set for awhile maybe that would help? Idk as much about these cars as some but that's what I would try.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Tjats usually a sign of a failing battery (car battery, not remote). What is the voltage on the DIC after the engine has been off for at least 30 minutes?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Re: Help! My trunk and fuel door keeps opening constantly ... What is wrong ????

Trunk and gas door popping open usually indicates a low voltage condition. Is your battery voltage normal? Do you have any trouble starting the car? Good ground?

·
Registered
2001 STS
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had the battery tested and it is OK.

Where do I go from here, Its NOT the battery??

The Trunk and Fuel Door still keep opening randomly.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
Is the car nearby ??? If so, please go to it, turn the key ON and observe DIC voltage readout. What is it ?

Did you play with the Valet Switch ?

·
Registered
2001 STS
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What should be the correct DIC voltage readout when I check it?

Do I just turn the key ON to check the DIC reading, or do I turn the motor ON?

----------

OK, How do I check the DIC voltage reading???
Step by Step?? Do I turn ON the motor, or just turn the key?

What should the NORMAL reading be?
Battery checked GOOD yesterday?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
For DIC (instrument panel) voltage indications you should see -

Depending on ambient temperature and length of shutdown time
with the Key: ON (not started) you should see 12.3 - 12.6 volts.

Immediately after START, engine at fast idle, you should see above - greater than - 14.2 volts. Voltage should stay up there the entire time the engine is running.

Because the car itself, turned off and sitting still, places a load on the battery at all times you will never see a "full" battery voltage oin the DIC. A fully charged battery, completely disconnected from anything for one hour, will read 12.6 volts. If you turn the Key: ON this morning and see 11.8 - 12.2 volts, that's too low.

Your battery is a Group 79 series, rated at least 800 CCA.

Here's one battery charge table - I don't like it because I feel the lower numbers (in the 11s and 10s) truly represent a dead battery. A bit of surface charge, but NO "power" to do anything except cause your trunk pop problems.

Each cell in a 12 volt battery is rated at 2.1 volts, full charge. 6 X 2.1 = 12.6 volts.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,132 Posts
The fuel door started popping open several years back but would crank each time. I changed the battery since it had some age on it and it has not done it since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts