Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, wondering if I should buy new tires, mine are 13 years old next month, but they are like new for tread, etc. Also wondering if I have to worry about seperation of belts, cords, etc. and if they are still safe for highway driving? Blowouts? My door sticker recomends 30 psi per tire for pressure. I sometimes use 30-32 max.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ralph said:
Hi guys, wondering if I should buy new tires, mine are 13 years old next month, but they are like new for tread, etc. Also wondering if I have to worry about seperation of belts, cords, etc. and if they are still safe for highway driving? Blowouts? My door sticker recomends 30 psi per tire for pressure. I sometimes use 30-32 max.
AS long as you see no cracks in the rubber in the tire you should be fine. If you have a "regular" garage you can take the car to them and ask if these tires are ok and they will tell you. I have had tires for about 10 years on some of my older cars. I wasn't worried

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
Not to contradict, but I would like to pass on information that I heard on a news program (Dateline, 20/20, or something like that), and they reported that the lifespan of a tire is 10 years - including the time spent sitting in the warehouse. The future plan is to stamp an expiration date on the sidewalls, sorta like they do on cartons of milk, and canned goods. The report said that the tread condition is deceiving, and they interviewed people with situations similar to yours. One guy had a classic car with very few miles on the tread who had a blow out and totaled the car beyond repair...

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I saw that "news" clip... it seemed to me like one of those articles they use to scare people into watching the show...

whatever though, I don't think my tires will ever last 10 years so I don' care :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
I deal with people every day and their little complaints. One of them is "I had my tires checked and they said I need new ones." "I only have 22000 on them! I've only had them for 8 years!" I tell them that it's not just wear. Age can do a lot of harm also. Change the tires! I live in a retirement area. Older people don't drive a lot but they forget how age might be harmful also.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, no I don't see any cracks and I would hate to spend money on all new tires right now, so maybe I'll keep on truckin' for a while. Rubber probably does deteriorate after a while. Heat can destroy a rad hose, and I've heard that they should be changed every 4 years regardless of mileage, etc. I'll think about it.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I saw the same report timber6860 saw, Ralph.

I wouldn't trust old tires, but I would worry more about heat causing them to come apart. Up where you are, and the way you're conservatively driving that car, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

UNLESS, you're planning a long road trip to Memphis to give the car to me. Then I must insist that for your own safety and mine, you should buy a new set of Michelins. ;)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
13 years old :shocked2:

They are basically out of spec after 2 years, and after 13 I wouldnt drive the car...... See how rubber deteriorates under the hood.... Now apply 120* heat, sun, salt, snow, rain, etc..... Not pretty...... What are the stock tires rated at?? S.? T?? An H rated tire has been said to be a really safe 90-100 mph tire when fairly new...... So an S/T rated tire (at like 110 or 120, cant remember off the cuff), would be like a safe 60-70 at fairly new, and after 13 years about a safe 40mph......

When tire manufacturers test tires for their speed and load ratings, they do NOT take in account camber, excess loads, or really bouncy roads.... They simply spin the tires on a machine......

If I were you, i would have gotten new tires every 3 years...... The rubber hardens significantly after the first winter, so treadware doesnt necessarily mean anything...... Rubber doesnt like coldness (from a life standpoint)......

Id get some new tires right away.....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
To sort of illustrate this.......

Last winter, I was at my grandparents house and I was looking to revitalize a 1970s mercury snowmobile.... Last time it had been run (and was recently rebuilt) was about 10 years ago (maybe less)., I got started working on it, and when I opened the engine hood and started messing around to locate stuff, 4 fuel hoses broke just like dry noodles..... They were rubber ones..... It had been sittin, covered, indoors, but in an unheated/airconditioned room......

Do you wanna be driving on dry noodles??? :histeric:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If they aren't showing any signs of deterioratin I'd keep using them. But I think it also depends on how you're using the car.

The fuel hoses were that brittle that they just broke? Maybe they weren't made for fuel because they shouldn't just break like that.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
New tires are definitely in order. Rubber ages - poorly. My father complained to GM and General Tire that he had two blowouts on his Buick with only 20K miles. When I pointed out to him that the car was 8 years old and spent the summers parked in the desert, he grumbled in agreement and didn't send any more letters.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
c5 rv said:
New tires are definitely in order. Rubber ages - poorly. My father complained to GM and General Tire that he had two blowouts on his Buick with only 20K miles. When I pointed out to him that the car was 8 years old and spent the summers parked in the desert, he grumbled in agreement and didn't send any more letters.
Thats a good point! Remember the Firestone fiasco with Explorers, well if I recall correctly, all or most of the blowouts occurred in hotter climates ie. Texas, Florida, etc. Maybe your dad had defects? On my other car 10 years ago, I had BF Goodrich Radial T/a's. These were supposed to be good tires, but after only 40,000 miles, on 3 out of 4 of them, the belts seperated and shook the whole car badly even at city speed. Mind you, the tire guy told me that if you hit a few hard potholes, it can happen to any tire!! :devil:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Elvis said:
I saw the same report timber6860 saw, Ralph.

I wouldn't trust old tires, but I would worry more about heat causing them to come apart. Up where you are, and the way you're conservatively driving that car, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

UNLESS, you're planning a long road trip to Memphis to give the car to me. Then I must insist that for your own safety and mine, you should buy a new set of Michelins. ;)
Believe it or not we are not living in Igloos like you Yanks think. LOL! We had it over 100 F this summer for quite a number of days. The problem is even if I buy new tires, I doubt that I could even wear them out in 5 years! Since I've got this car in Feb. I have only put 5,500 kms on it. But now that winter is just around the corner, I won't worry too much. They are the original Michelin XZ4's if I saw correctly. I will continue to drive it conservatively, occasionally to my hometown to see the parents. I don't go over 62 mph or 100 kph unless I am passing someone. Is it true that you are more likely to get a blowout if the tires are low because too much heat builds up?

Don't worry Elvis, If I can win the lottery, I will put a new set of Michilins on her and drive it to you personally!! Or you and Wes can flip for it. We would love to take a trip down south. I was stateside in 1979 with my dad just before he died of lung cancer. Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota was the best and most beautiful trip I ever took. And in 1966 My parents drove down there for their honeymoon!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I just saw the last part of a show on tires on CBC Newsworld. (so I had to go back on tonite) It concerned Goodyear Tires with "load range E"" I don't know if these are car tires or not but they mentioned that in the early '90's, they did not put "2 nylon cords" on their tires, and people got hurt or died. Apparently these nylon "caps" or cords are like a reinforcement that goes on after the 2 layers of steel belts are applied. They mentioned that after mid-2000 Goodyear HAS been putting the nylon caps on their tires and there have been no problems. Again there were problems in Arizona mentioned where some people died, and in more warm climates.

It is not hard to see if your car has these. Check the sidewalls of your tires and it will say the construction, ie. 2 steel ply, 2 polyester, etc. But it should also say; "2 nylon cords" or "caps" for the ultimate in safety. By safety, they mentioned belt separation and blowout. I checked both our cars and they do not have the "caps" Another thing that caught my eye was the patent date of the Michelins on my Caddy, it said patented "1971" !! I hope the tire technology is not that old on my car!? I thought back then all you could get were bias ply or nylon/fiberglass construction. Also, I have been buying Goodyear and Dunlops on and off for about the last 10 years or so. What type of tire would you guys recommend, or do you buy???? Michelins are more money, but are they worth it?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
We've never ben overly happy with Michelins. Right now that's all we've been using on one of our Fords. They always wear out well before warrenty so we end up getting a discount for a new set. But every time so far they've hit a certain point they just go flat for no reason. So far it's happened to both sets that we've replaced.

The tires I've been happiest with are Uniroyal Tiger Paws.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brougham said:
We've never ben overly happy with Michelins. Right now that's all we've been using on one of our Fords. They always wear out well before warrenty so we end up getting a discount for a new set. But every time so far they've hit a certain point they just go flat for no reason. So far it's happened to both sets that we've replaced.

The tires I've been happiest with are Uniroyal Tiger Paws.
Uniroyal tires are good, my mom's car had them. Ever notice on the Uniroyals, if you check the sidewall, you sure can see the depression where they molded it together? There is a "dip" or "valley" on the sidewall, but I doubt it affects anything. My Michelins seem to be wearing even, and quite well. FWD vehicles sure wear faster in the fronts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just came across this so I'll add a little informatiion. In the RV world, almost no one ever wears out tires, they die from age. Most manufacturers are recommending that you do not use any tire on a motorhome that is older than 5 years, period. Warantees are limited by mileage and by AGE. Tires in that service are stressed more than a typical car but older tires usually fail catastrophically with massive sidewall failure. I wouldn't drive 13 year old tires above 40 mph.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
IMHO it depends on how your stored the tires.....if you had them wraped up and stacked in ur living room for 13 years then i say they are fine.....if they were on a car or not airconditioned or heated then theyre prolly gonners......rubber wont deteriorate unless it has a reason...

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big Jim said:
I just came across this so I'll add a little informatiion. In the RV world, almost no one ever wears out tires, they die from age. Most manufacturers are recommending that you do not use any tire on a motorhome that is older than 5 years, period. Warantees are limited by mileage and by AGE. Tires in that service are stressed more than a typical car but older tires usually fail catastrophically with massive sidewall failure. I wouldn't drive 13 year old tires above 40 mph.
So far so good. I'm well over 100 when passing. I think RV tires, like you mentioned, are just more stressed due to the weight of those vehicles. How often do you see pieces of big rig tires shreads on the shoulder of the highway, the answer, OFTEN! I'll keep looking for splits, cuts and signs of wear, I haven't been too worried about it. I guess if I get killed on the highway because of ny tires, it will be a waste of a nice car!! :D :histeric: :(

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BUILDINGCTSAMG said:
IMHO it depends on how your stored the tires.....if you had them wraped up and stacked in ur living room for 13 years then i say they are fine.....if they were on a car or not airconditioned or heated then theyre prolly gonners......rubber wont deteriorate unless it has a reason...
It's a low mileage car (see below) the tires weren't even rotated yet! My dad stored this car during winters in an insulated garage along with a couple other low mileage Chevys. These Michlins are just refusing to wear down in front! I got this car from my stepdad last Feb, put aout 7,000 kms on it, and no wear! I think I will always buy Michilins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts