Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2001 DTS
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The highest the gauge's needle reads is straight up on the display. Didn't I read that the dash at the top of the arc (being #4?) indicates about 165 degrees F there? When I shoot the outside of the head to block area with a cheapee infrared temp reader it displays 195 to 200 external temp.

Should my gauge be reading at the 1 o'clock or so position of dash #5?

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,602 Posts
The tick marks on my STS gauge correspond to those on your slightly smaller gauge. Both cars use the same temp sender.

Here's the actual temps by tick mark ...... the gauge needle should stay about 12 o'clock except head for 1 o'clock in heavy stalled traffic in July.

Read the fine print. The yellow dot is fans to SLOW, red is FAST. The white dot at about 160 is the loop changeover, but that varies with ambient temps.

Cold, the needle covers tick #1, so straight up is tick #5 (of 9).

The needle movement is heavily damped from about 190 to 215 degrees - that prevents owners from panicking if they see a gauge needle actually move in response to changing engine operating conditions. Anywhere in that range is perfectly normal. The engine does NOT overheat until about 265 degrees.

(History: This gauge picture was originally posted by member JimD and later edited by me with input from 32 FWD Northstar vehicle owners.)

EDIT: If you want to monitor the coolant temp in real time with real numbers, install a ScanGauge-II. I use one and monitor coolant temp, intake air temp, ignition advance, and MAP (manifold absolute pressure = inverse vacuum), all at the same time.

Temp gauge - my numbers.jpg

·
2001 DTS
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, great. Last time out my car had a hint of moving past 12 o'clock, but almost imperceptibly so.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,602 Posts
That gauge needle, depending on weather, traffic conditions, and A/C compressor setting can move anywhere from the left side of that green area to the yellow SLOW dot. Drive the car.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,810 Posts
The highest the gauge's needle reads is straight up on the display. Didn't I read that the dash at the top of the arc (being #4?) indicates about 165 degrees F there? When I shoot the outside of the head to block area with a cheapee infrared temp reader it displays 195 to 200 external temp.

Should my gauge be reading at the 1 o'clock or so position of dash #5?
========================
The highest the gauge's needle reads is straight up on the display
PERFECT!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts