Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
08 STS-V
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted in a while (and not really that much) but I wanted to say a few things about the car for future consideration.

First of all I had an 08 STS-V that I bought roughly a year ago. The car was demo'd by a dealership owner and had about 4900 miles on it when I bought it. We loved the looks of it from the first time we saw it on the dealerships lot.

The good:
- The car looked awesome. Excellent lines.
- The car handled great.
- The interior was very nice and roomy for a sedan with lots of cool gadgetry (heated seats, Nav, DVD, etc).
- The car had really nice power. Excellent torque.
- The warranty was excellent. 50,000 mile bumper to bumper and 100,000 powertrain.

The bad:
- The OEM tires sucked. At 18,000 miles the tires were dangerously worn out, despite consistent monitoring of tires pressures to ensure proper inflation. Road noise was terrible with the stock tires. I replaced the OEMs with Hankooks and it was a huge improvement.
- The climate control system is weird. In the winter there is always a light flow of cool air near the front doors/windows, regardless of which setting you have it on (floor, dash, defrost, etc). I drove 2 other Caddy's (rentals) and they all did it, so I don't think it was MY car.
- The driver's seat bottom made weird creaking noises.
- The car will NOT go anywhere if there is ANY snow/ice on the road. My other cars are Vette and Viper, so I was litterally stranded at home when it snowed (and it snowed more than usual here this year). I almost got stuck in my driveway and then almost slid into my garage wall once I got it inside.
- The NAV system sucks. Many, many OLD addresses and established major roads aren't recognized by the system. The route calculations are totally out in left field. I used the car for roadtrips to FL alot and it NEVER showed the best routes (NEVER) and none of my preference setting changess seemed to make any difference in the route it chose.
- The car spent WAY too much time in the shop. It had some kind of module replaced before I bought it (I checked the service records). The module went out again right after I bought it. A catalytic converter went out while I owned it. The oil pan leaked and they had to remove the engine to fix it. Then the module went out AGAIN. The NAV/DVD system was flaky. It blanked out on me a couple of times and then mysteriously started working again after a couple of cold starts (dealer couldn't find anything wrong unless it was doing it at the service desk).

The last trip to the dealership was the last straw. My previous daily driver was a Yukon that gave me over 90,000 trouble free miles, so while the module was being replaced AGAIN I traded the V in for a new Yukon Denali.

I'm not posting this to bash the car or the brand. I really liked the car itself. I love having something unique and cool. And this car was all of that. But it just didn't work for me. I need a cruiser with AWD (for those bad weather days), plenty of space and comfort for travel. I have no regrets in owning the car. It was fun while it lasted but it was time to move on.

·
Registered
STS-V
393 Posts
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. Had mine over 5 years, and only a handful of minor issues, all but one resolved on a single visit. Sounds like your dealer is not very knowledgeable with the V. All other issues you mentioned are well documented already, and easily fixed by a trained service technician. I absolutely love my V, and plan to keep it for quite a long time (at least another 5 years).

Bob

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,907 Posts
I agree on the stock tires and the nav. They both suck. I have not had any issues with roads not being in the system though, just retarded routes that it recommended. If you are going somewhere and the freeway is the best route, then you are ok. If it is not, you are getting on the freeway regardless. I could set it for an address in the next town and it would have me going several miles out of the way to get on the highway. I don't get that and it takes a lot of the usefulness away. I've had an STS before this V and did not have any of the other problems you had except for tire sensors. Those are all junk too.

I can't see going from a fast car to a truck, but I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
Actually I think he's very reasonable in his explanation. I expected to see much more complaining. Right after I got my car I did alot of reading up on this board to try to determine if I wanted to bother to purchase a GMPP for it. I have noticed that member's evaluations of the car vary greatly based on what they feel is a "problem". Just like any high end luxury car, there are lots of things to go wrong, and they often do. But i've noticed that alot of guys really complain about alot of things that would never be an issue to me. For instance, a creaky seat is not something I would bother to take the car back to the dealer for. I'd try to remedy the problem myself, and failing that, i'd let it go. The little squeaks and rattles that so many complain to no end about just don't bother me, I don't see them as a problem because they existed (in some form) in every car i've ever owned.

Alot of it comes down to perspective, and personal preference.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
80 Posts
Yeah, if you have this car, you will need another that gets around in the snow. Mine is purely a fair weather driver. First thing I got fixed was that damn seat.. it was annoying, but free to fix.

On your next car can I recommend a Jeep SRT-8?!

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
On your next car can I recommend a Jeep SRT-8?!
Haha...does it come with a free gas station?

After learning what it's like to drive a 16mpg 93 octane vehicle semi-regularly, I can't possibly imagine a 10mpg 93 octane vehicle!!

·
Registered
08 STS-V
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
......................I can't see going from a fast car to a truck, but I hope you enjoy it.
I still have a 740 hp Supercharged Viper and a Corvette in the garage. I won't miss having a "fast" car, lol. :D

Actually I think he's very reasonable in his explanation. I expected to see much more complaining. ....................
Thanks. The seat issue wasn't a show stopper. It just added to the frustration of having issue after issue. I had other issues with the dealership too, that didn't factor in because I know it was on them and not the car (they scratched up all of my wheels when the installed the new tires. The repainted all 4 wheels to make it right).

I also forgot to mention that the passenger side mirror had to be replaced under warranty (the glass vibrated loosely at speed).

·
Registered
2007 STS-V Black on Black
226 Posts
In regards to the navi.. I dont think it really gets much better, especially for a car a couple years old. The only ones I've liked better than GM are Acura and Lexus, but they arent leaps and bounds better. GM has BMW and Audi beat, even older MBs (havent tried new ones). We at least have touch screen. The newer GMs are really nice because you can call onstar and they upload the directions staight into your navi.

·
Registered
08 STS-V
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In regards to the navi.. I dont think it really gets much better, especially for a car a couple years old. The only ones I've liked better than GM are Acura and Lexus, but they arent leaps and bounds better. GM has BMW and Audi beat, even older MBs (havent tried new ones). We at least have touch screen. The newer GMs are really nice because you can call onstar and they upload the directions staight into your navi.
I agree with the Acura being better. I have a family member with an 07 TL-S and it's nav is way better.

I did not know that Onstar could download to the navi. I'll have to give that a try in my new Yukon. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, sold to fish!
114 Posts
Yep, the Onstar and Bluetooth are tons better in the new GMs. I bought a 2011 Chevy Crewcab 1500, 6.2, to tow my race car, and sorta replace the V, as a DD. You just call them up, and they download directions to the radio console. It's not really a nav screen, though. The nav screen is a 2,000 option.:tisk:

But, I actually use the nav directions and Bluetooth in the Silverado. In the V, with no voice command, for Bluetooth, and no display on the fly, I never even use them.:thehand:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Red snake I think I bought your sts v from sapaugh motors in missouri .I found this thread an that sounds like the car based on the picture you have listed of the car an the service record time line for the repairs you have listed. the service record they faxed me matches everything. the car will be shipped to cal. an info would great .thanks Darren

·
Registered
STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
680 Posts
My dealer is trying to tell me my after market rims are causing my mirrors to shake, LMAO. I'm out of twn for work, he has no ideal the shyt storm I'm going to bring over these mirrors when I return!

As far as issues with the vehicle, I just knew to purchase one that was still under factory warranty and to extend with GMPP, but I luv it with its imperfections!

·
Registered
2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
1,019 Posts
on the nav issue, all the OEM units are way behind the stand alone aftermarket units, I recently got me a smart Phone (android) and its phenomenal.All you do is verbally give it an address or POI,and it takes you there turn by turn

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
on the nav issue, all the OEM units are way behind the stand alone aftermarket units, I recently got me a smart Phone (android) and its phenomenal.All you do is verbally give it an address or POI,and it takes you there turn by turn
Actually, the Android navigation app may very well be the best navigation software there is. The brand new Pioneer AVIC unit that I just put in my wife's CTS is VERY VERY good, but my Evo 4G still beats the crap out of it. The animations and 3d navigation is smoother, the voice recognition just works every time, and it loads everything very quickly. I have never been able to find a better route than my phone has selected, and I have never had it try to tell me to turn onto a road that doesn't exist. I've yet to find a navigation setup that works better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts