Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
One of the reasons more airbags did not deploy was to save them in case you really needed them later in the accident. In many high speed accidents, the first blow is glancing and the real impact is when the still speeding car hits a tree or bridge. If the airbags all deploy at the first blow, there is no protection when the car impacts the large, solid object.

·
Registered
Cadillac '06 STS-V, Blk/Blk
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
'next2pool'
I'd be really interested in seeing a "derm or module" report...... any suggestions about how to obtain it? Do they make it available to the owners? As far as I know now, the insurance company still has it as a total.

'C&C'
as far as any suspicion about traction control, it'd be about wether it maybe unnecessarily was triggered and deactivated, creating a hydroplaning thrust when disengaged? I'm seriously doubting it, really, but just thought it's worth while to mention theories because ya' never know, a few other people start claiming similar experiences and it may bring something to light.

Same with the airbags, I'm not disappointed and I can see the logic about the level of impact vs. which one's triggered as mentioned by many here. I only mentioned it well, because some asked and if others have had experiences with questionable airbag deployment... it be worth considering. I'm really just taking my own consensus with considerations of replacing this car w/ another.

'c5RV'
I can see that, there wasn't really a bad head-on impact. The passengers front side was really messed up though and can be seen in the last car photo.... the link is messed up so it doesn't show up. Maybe I can get the mod. to fix the link.

If that's the case and the airbags did perform exactly as they should, given the degree of damage per side and what was going on inside..... I think they were amazing.

'Regulator'
as far as insurance goes. I was going to wait until all is said AND DONE before commenting on that. It's still in the works but should be all settled by this week. The insurance co., so far, has been 100% top notch.... super cooperative, friendly and very reasonable. I have Allstate and have had a very professional experience w/ them so far. As you know, it was deemed a 'totaled loss'. As far as the claim.... they offered 23,700. When I got it, it was 26,000 little over a year ago and I owed about 17k on it. I think the book's were valuing it between 19-22,000'ish so I feared they'd be low-balling me which hasn't been the case. I think they have been very reasonable! So far so good, but all checks haven't been issued yet, so I'll reserve my summary until then, but as of now, Allstate has been super accommodating.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,229 Posts
The derm or module that controls and records all of the airbag and brake force systems can be read with a special reader that is available commercially. Many insurance companies will read the derm to substantiate what happened. This has been a very controversial issue but I think the courts have pretty well cleared its use as evidence. Many times, insurance and rental contracts will have small print allowing them to obtain or read the module. It certainly becomes part of the evidence if lawsuits are involved or serious injury or death incidents. GM will also seek the contents if a vehicle related lawsuit comes up.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
DERM is an old school term.
They actually switched to an SDM many years ago. Same function essentially but insted of using "Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module" we use a "Sensing and Diagnostic Module".
There are some differences but both do record crash data.
Bags only deploy if they are needed. It's not like Demolition Man where the car fills up with bags and foam. It sounds like you walked away and the car did what it was designed to do. Sorry for your loss, but cars can be replaced.
I won't give you a lecture on driving 70 in heavy rain. I am sure you learned everything you needed to from that incident.

I think people believe crash data is used against them a lot more than it really is.
I am not sure us laymen could even understand the data even if we could see it.

Glad you are okay and that the safety barriers did their job.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,229 Posts
Well it's sort of like calling the the modern Vortec V-8 a small block--it is what it is and sometimes these monikers hang in there for years--that has nothing to do with what the capabilities and outcome may be. I agree that most layman can't decode the info in one of those modules, but insurance companies, lawyers, and the automakers certainly have that capability. I'm involved in a business that routinely will obtain access to the module and it's data. The facts will speak for themselves and assist in accident analyses.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
Well it's sort of like calling the the modern Vortec V-8 a small block--it is what it is and sometimes these monikers hang in there for years--.
Actually, more acurately, it is LS Series engine, since Vortec refers only to the truck lines and was also used with the later of the old truck engines, small and big blocks.:hide:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts