Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a couple posts about air boxes. I just wanted to post my current design. "airintake" shows my box in the engine compartment. I used a Spectre 3" flexible 90 degree coupler, a Spectre 45 degree mandrel bent aluminum tube, and a finally a 3" fernco coupler to go from the 45 degree tube to the MAF sensor. I used the Spectre vacuum line kit to install a port for the PCV line that normally connected to the stock airbox resonator. The Spectre stuff was about $45 and the fernco was about $5.

"insulation" shows the pipe insulation I used to help block warm engine compartment air from getting into the airbox opening.

"airbox" shows the airbox out of the vehicle with the opening. You can see the K&N filter (I think this was about $40).

"Lid" shows the inside of the airbox lid, and you can see the ported MAF. The side ribs were removed and the tube was cut even with the MAF end.

"base" shows the airbox base. The tube and inner base were removed to open up the airbox base.

"frontflap" shows the the inside of the engine compartment facing the radiator. You can see the flap cut into the black material to permit cool air through the grill into the air box opening.

"enginecompart" shows where the airbox mounts in the engine compartment. You can see that the black liner material was removed, the normal fender opening was enlarged to permit more cool air from the space between the headlight and fender to enter the airbox, and the insulation placed on the bottom to help seal off the warm engine compartment air from getting under the air box and into the opening.

The Spectre coupler flexes some, but to add more flex in the system, I widened the opening in the airbox mounting tabs. I removed the rubber inserts, widened the holes, and reinstalled the rubber inserts. This lets the airbox wiggle to accommodate the the engine twisting.

I didn't dyno the mod, but there is a definite SOTP improvement. My mods are the intake, reshaped throttle body, !engine cover, !hood seal, tuning, and a modified exhaust. I can catch decent tire from a roll with new tires on asphalt in 1st gear (no 2nd gear downshifting) with an auto tranny.

Doing this again I would have tried:

1) An intake tube from a Holden 3.6L vvt. The holden has a smooth right angle tube from the throttle body to the MAF.

2) I would try a 3" to 3.5" 90 degree silicon coupler to go from the TB to the MAF. This would give slightly more tube volume.

3) I would not have shortened the tube in the lid as much. I would have heated the tube to flare the end to provide a better transition for air into the MAF end. If someone is will to part with a stock lid. I do it and post pictures of what I mean.

4) The total cost was about $100. It might be better for some to add about another $100 and get a Volant and cut the Volant base to get more air.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CTS
14 Posts
That looks great! I did a similar mod to a GTO I head a few years ago but got rid of the airbox. I'm thinking of doing one on the CTS now.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS V6 2.6 (LY9)
81 Posts
At first I did the Tony A Mod and I really enjoyed how it worked ... until I modified the exhaust to go from stock single to double dual tails. I guess that the 2 Magnaflow 14816 I installed were not the best option for my car because it became lazy at low rpm.

Don't get me wrong, the sound is great and at highs the car runs perfect but I miss some strong response at lows and they are very noisy inside between 2200-2900 rpm.

I solved the noise issue with some Dynamat at the trunk floor but trying to get more airflow I decided to cut the bottom side of airbox (smaller hole than yours) and drive a flexible wired rubber hose (3") from the lower grille room to the new hole. Actually it didn't make a big difference either.

I wonder if this step beyond would give me any improvement.

·
Registered
Cadillac
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did my mod in phases:

1) I opened up the air box and added a K&N. I noticed an SOTP improvement.

2) I ported the MAF and noticed slightly better top end performance.

3) I replaced the stock resonator with the bypass pipe and reshaped throttle body and noticed a big change.

I don't know how the SOTP gauge would show if I did the mods in the reverse order.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS V6 2.6 (LY9)
81 Posts
I did it and I feel it !!!!

Actually I only did the insulation and the frontflap steps and it feels better in 1st and 2nd gear that it was used to.

Later on I will go for rest of the mod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts