Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  mccombie_5 
#1 ·
She bought one finally, a 1999 Mercedes Benz CL600. She put her budget up to £25,000 ($45k) and got one for £22,900 ($40k). Its Black, with cream leather, 38,000 miles, not bad for a six year old car.

I havent seen it yet but apparently its in very good condition. It also has that wonderful 6.0 litre V12

She also looked at a Mercedes CLK430 but it wasnt what she expected, and a 1998 Honda Accord Coupe which was only £2000 ($3k)!!

I dont think my sister got a raw deal, £23k($40k) for a car that cost £110k ($195k) new, thats damn good to me.

#4 ·
Sweet deal. Nice low mileage, a big engine, excellent condition. A hell of a deal is what she got. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Yeah thats what i thought, she could of had a 199 Mercedes Benz CLK430 for £10k less, but it wasnt what shed expected, poor quality interior, my wife had a 1999 CLK320 and i have to agree with my sister, not as good as older Benzes.

I cant wait to drive it, i really love the S/Cl class From 1992-1999, they were real smart cars. My brother in law has an 600SEL, and i had a 320SEL, they were build like tanks, it is the most well built car i and he and probably my sister now too have ever owned

#6 ·
#10 ·
From the looks of that engine compartment It doesn't look too service friendly. To own one, one must be prepared financially to pay someone lots of money for upkeep.

A previous employer of mine had an early 90s 500sel sedan. His maintenance cost were substantial.

#11 ·
Kev said:
From the looks of that engine compartment It doesn't look too service friendly. To own one, one must be prepared financially to pay someone lots of money for upkeep.

A previous employer of mine had an early 90s 500sel sedan. His maintenance cost were substantial.
Yeah they are pricey things, but at such a low purchase price who can say no?

I had the 320, it was above average to maintain, i wouldnt say it was a loan everytime it needed a service. My brother has a 96 600SEL, and that is expensive, but he can also afford it, my sister now has this CL600 and she can afford it, im seriously considering jumping back into the MB camp, and gettin a S500 or an S600 from before 1999. I had an S500 in 2000 (current style) and it couldnt compete with the old 320SEL, t wasnt as well built, or as luxurious.

I drove the car of choice for the russian mafia

#12 ·
Someone here's got one too.....forgot who. I think it was a CL600 too.

My buddy had one (maybe a 500) but he sold after blowing tons of cash on 'minor' stuff like power window motors (the double paned windows are feakin heavy) and major stuff like a new tranny.

I still think they are one of the coolest things on the road.....I wish I could afford on with nav and all wood trim (steering wheel especially).

My fantasy/attainable dreamcar has been a Jag XK8 or XKR convertible though.....same issues with high maintenance so rational me keeps lookin at Accords and such.

#13 ·
powerglide said:
Someone here's got one too.....forgot who. I think it was a CL600 too.

My buddy had one (maybe a 500) but he sold after blowing tons of cash on 'minor' stuff like power window motors (the double paned windows are feakin heavy) and major stuff like a new tranny.

I still think they are one of the coolest things on the road.....I wish I could afford on with nav and all wood trim (steering wheel especially).

My fantasy/attainable dreamcar has been a Jag XK8 or XKR convertible though.....same issues with high maintenance so rational me keeps lookin at Accords and such.
Now the Jag, for me at least was a different story, my 98 wasnt that much more to keep on the road than most other V8s, maybe they cost more to service and maintain there.....

#14 ·
yup its an import over here....not a cheap to maintain.

Did you have the XK? The dudes on the jaguar forum swear its worth avoiding pre-2001 XK8 due to serious problems related to the nikasil cylinder liners. And sure enough, many of the 97-99's on ebay have had their engines replaced. You didn't have much reliablity problems?

....ahh I love those things. all that wood trim, the upholstering, its all just so classy and elegant. It just looks so 'proper' :)

#15 ·
powerglide said:
yup its an import over here....not a cheap to maintain.

Did you have the XK? The dudes on the jaguar forum swear its worth avoiding pre-2001 XK8 due to serious problems related to the nikasil cylinder liners. And sure enough, many of the 97-99's on ebay have had their engines replaced. You didn't have much reliablity problems?

....ahh I love those things. all that wood trim, the upholstering, its all just so classy and elegant. It just looks so 'proper' :)
I only had the car for two years, but its probably having trouble now, it was a really nice car, very smooth, and still sporty. I loved it. I did have a truble with the valves sticking, but that was easily fixed by my dealership, oherwise in the two years i had it, and the 18 months my brother in law had it, it had no issues like that.

#16 ·
fast66 said:
good deal. The year doesnt matter as long as it has low miles.
I agree, 38,000 really isn't a lot of miles for a car like that. It's low for the age, plus the "reasonable" life of those cars is in the 150,000 range.

It should give her many more years of service.

That's a FAR cry from some of the cars you mentioned in the earlier thread!!! :D

#22 ·
What fuel economy can one expect from it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.