Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2009 DTS Performance
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new in June, it took a few months to get everything done and finally snap some pix. I have a thing for BLACK. While I liked my 2005 Black EXT, I was happy to see that Cadillac was finally offering a Black interior on the Escalade. Was pretty disappointed in the 2-tone effect of the (optional Black) interior so I ended up having alot of work done.

Here's a list and some pix. Feel free to ask any/all questions.

cheers,

~Doc

Emblems removed (writing, not Cadillac Wreath and Crest), GM/Cadillac Sport Black grill, Painted Black hood trim piece, Black UltraSuede headliner and all trim that cream color (from window base up), custom FORGED (lightweight) Lorenzo 22's on Goodyears - Black with a special deep chrome lip and custom Cadillac-emblem center caps, Black-painted rotors, roof bows removed, trailer hitch removed (it's an EXT), custom steering wheel (Black wood without that annoying plastic insert on the rim), McCaughy's 2/3 drop, exposed muffler and tailpipe painted flat Black, tint, Blacked-out taillights and CHMSL.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
458 Posts
MIB thats what you are man, nice EXT.
Those are classy modes, love the center cap, where did you get them?

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
nice headliner mod..how much was it to do all that in black suede? i'm thinking about doing my and would like to know how much to expect to spend...thanks

·
Registered
2009 DTS Performance
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

The center caps are from the 2007-up V-series. Specifically, they are used on the CTS-V and STS-V wheels; I think they might be on the XLR-V as-well. I'm the largest seller of Cadillac wheels and wheel center caps on eBay - so getting them wasn't a problem. :cool2:

MIB thats what you are man, nice EXT.
Those are classy modes, love the center cap, where did you get them?

·
Registered
2009 DTS Performance
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Black suede headliner really turned out great. I just couldn't take looking at that two-tone interior. Cadillac cheaps it by using all the same cream-colored trim from the cream interior option, when you get a Black interior like I did. I went to a place that had a good reputation for doing Pimp-My-Ride type custom work. The guy was nice enough though the place was old and dirty. What really hurt, was seeing my brand-new truck torn-apart and in pieces, there for 10 days. Have to say though that everyone was really nice and the work came out amazing. Cost is $700 and I'd definitely recommend this shop. Since he 'learned' on my truck, next time would probably take about 3 days.

Everything is Black suede and he wrapped alot of tiny bits of trim pieces as-well. Looks amazing. And Black.

nice headliner mod..how much was it to do all that in black suede? i'm thinking about doing my and would like to know how much to expect to spend...thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
what is the name/location of the shop? $700 for 10 days work seems like a real bargain even if it was only 3 days on the next car...

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
Looks good.... I am partial to black myself as well. :cool2:

The rims do look a tad bit small even though they are 22's. They are getting lost in the wheel well.

But over all I like it alot!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 DTS Performance
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The shop that did the interior work is in Delray Beach Florida.

As far as wheel size, we all have our own tastes and opinions. There were several reasons I went with 22's compared with 24's or larger:

BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON IS RIDE. You guys who are just shooting off your mouths without actually owning one of these and/or driving on 23's/larger, don't know the sacrifice that comes with big wheels. It has long been known that increasing unsprung weight is a performance killer. It sacrifices acceleration, braking and mainly - RIDE. I sell (Cadillac) wheels for a living and pick wheels up every day. There is significant difference in weight with larger wheels, the problem of which is seriously magnified due to the gyroscopic effect of having said-weight further from the center line. I've ridden in 2007 Escalade's with the factory 18's and the factory 22's, and you can even feel the difference in the aformentioned in those - with FACTORY wheels. While I wouldn't have minded a mild improvement in handling (over the base 18's it came with), I did NOT want to sacrifice ride. These custom forged one-piece wheels are very lightweight - only 35lbs/apiece. Compare that with the absurdly-heavy monstrousities of aftermarket 24's and up which weigh 55lbs or more - even DOUBLE what each of my wheels weigh. My truck still rides great, compared with the much shittier ride 23's/up DO have. All these (always young) guys who tell you that "my truck still rides like stock on 24's" are deluding themselves. Now, be clear on this: I was young once too, and I was willing to make sacrifices in my vehicle's comfort for appearance and/or performance. That's just not a priority for me now. But if you want to put 26's or 28's on your new Escalade - be my guest - you will have a vehicle with a unique look. Just don't kid yourself into thinking that it still rides remotely like it did with the factory wheels. Oh, and with regard to wheels ... price = quality. Retail cost on these wheels is $1200/APIECE.

A lesser reason though still important to me, was I love to ride on Goodyears. 22 is the largest Goodyear goes.

HCVONE used to be more vocal on the pitfalls of big wheels. As he is so outnumbered here by the 'Bling Bling' crowd and/or he's become bored of carrying the torch, let me remind you that he is also in the (automotive) business) and hears/sees regularly the pitfalls of very big and low-quality wheels.

Not looking to start a flamewar but opinions are like ass-holes. My reason for posting here was to provide inspiration/ideas for others. Obviously someone already has shown interest in the interior. Maybe someone wants a nice steering wheel. Etc. But as for disparaging opinions - hey man - "Whatever".

cheers,

~Doc

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
Nice ride, I am perfectly happy with my factory 18s for exactly the reasons you outlined (better than I could have) above.

I don't think you were really being slammed by the previous posters and got several nice comments. I think it was more of a commentary on the HUGE wheel wells that are hard to fill. Don't worry, your rims do not look like 17s, they look like at least 20s..... :poke:

·
Registered
07 ESV
82 Posts
I think you need to take a chill pill or a stiff drink. Your truck looks good, what's important is that you're happy with it. By the way if you sell caddy wheels you should inform yourself reagarding weight, my 3 piece forged 24 Asantis weigh 33.54 Lbs. I as well as you was very concerned about the ride and comfort and to be honest my ride is 95% close to the stock 22's due to my tire configuration. I even lowered mine and wasn't happy with the way it looked so I took it back to the stock height. Enjoy your truck.......

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I think you need to take a chill pill or a stiff drink. Your truck looks good, what's important is that you're happy with it. By the way if you sell caddy wheels you should inform yourself reagarding weight, my 3 piece forged 24 Asantis weigh 33.54 Lbs. I as well as you was very concerned about the ride and comfort and to be honest my ride is 95% close to the stock 22's due to my tire configuration. I even lowered mine and wasn't happy with the way it looked so I took it back to the stock height. Enjoy your truck.......
Of couse living in Florida helps, come drive the roads I do up here, you would feel different. ;) As I keep saying it depends on where you live and drive that will determine your ride quality. :)

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts
The shop that did the interior work is in Delray Beach Florida.

As far as wheel size, we all have our own tastes and opinions. There were several reasons I went with 22's compared with 24's or larger:

BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON IS RIDE. You guys who are just shooting off your mouths without actually owning one of these and/or driving on 23's/larger, don't know the sacrifice that comes with big wheels. It has long been known that increasing unsprung weight is a performance killer. It sacrifices acceleration, braking and mainly - RIDE. I sell (Cadillac) wheels for a living and pick wheels up every day. There is significant difference in weight with larger wheels, the problem of which is seriously magnified due to the gyroscopic effect of having said-weight further from the center line. I've ridden in 2007 Escalade's with the factory 18's and the factory 22's, and you can even feel the difference in the aformentioned in those - with FACTORY wheels. While I wouldn't have minded a mild improvement in handling (over the base 18's it came with), I did NOT want to sacrifice ride. These custom forged one-piece wheels are very lightweight - only 35lbs/apiece. Compare that with the absurdly-heavy monstrousities of aftermarket 24's and up which weigh 55lbs or more - even DOUBLE what each of my wheels weigh. My truck still rides great, compared with the much shittier ride 23's/up DO have. All these (always young) guys who tell you that "my truck still rides like stock on 24's" are deluding themselves. Now, be clear on this: I was young once too, and I was willing to make sacrifices in my vehicle's comfort for appearance and/or performance. That's just not a priority for me now. But if you want to put 26's or 28's on your new Escalade - be my guest - you will have a vehicle with a unique look. Just don't kid yourself into thinking that it still rides remotely like it did with the factory wheels. Oh, and with regard to wheels ... price = quality. Retail cost on these wheels is $1200/APIECE.

A lesser reason though still important to me, was I love to ride on Goodyears. 22 is the largest Goodyear goes.

HCVONE used to be more vocal on the pitfalls of big wheels. As he is so outnumbered here by the 'Bling Bling' crowd and/or he's become bored of carrying the torch, let me remind you that he is also in the (automotive) business) and hears/sees regularly the pitfalls of very big and low-quality wheels.

Not looking to start a flamewar but opinions are like ass-holes. My reason for posting here was to provide inspiration/ideas for others. Obviously someone already has shown interest in the interior. Maybe someone wants a nice steering wheel. Etc. But as for disparaging opinions - hey man - "Whatever".

cheers,

~Doc

Ummmm Oooookkkk.

Your ride wasn't even getting slammed.

If you post pics of your ride, prepare for comments.... thats just the way car forums, or the internet for that matter, works.

I got negative comments about my ride when I changed my wheels as well as positive ones... but most don't fly off the handle like someone just pissed in their Wheaties.

Your truck looks good, most of the comments were very positive, but hey even if they were all bad it is your ride and what you think is all that matters.

:hide:

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
JetflyerJ, Thanks for making this reply. I was going to make this reply earlier but did not have a chance. Even some other 3 piece forged wheel brands in 24" will weigh in even less than 33.54 lbs.

CardioDoc, I'm also still pondering why you paid nearly $5000 for 1 piece Asia made 22" wheels, regardless if they were cast or forged. Someone made quite a profit on you.

Unsprung weight is not really a concern on these trucks (especially 2007+) unless your rolling on ridiculously oversized wheels, 28s 30s 32s 34s. I know that my 02 Escalade on 24s has a close start with most SUVs on stock wheels so I know the 2007 could push 24s or 26s hardly without any kind of significant difference.

You seem to really know these forums, the members, what they drive, what they've driven, who belongs here, who doesn't, the unwanted "bling bling" crowd and so forth. The suede headliner, tinted taillights, blacked out grille, its all been done on these forums already. Next time, please inform the users in your first post that you don't want opinions and that your only here to inspire others. Nice truck by the way. The work came out great and you got a smokin' deal on the work.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts

Doc, I hear and see the problems, and mostly from cheap wheels, and bad roads, and of course I get to drive on dirt roads in the mountains, at least my mountain roads and driveways are paved, that is a hint for my friends that live on unpaved roads and unpaved driveways. :( If you have or get large wheels and tires, check the pressure once a month at least, and be careful, of course you people that live where the weather is nice and the roads are smooth, well.......... I just hate you all. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.