Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pickup ran a stop sign at ~ 50 MPH, I was going ~ 50 MPH. Hit the truck in the RH front wheel and then jumped a culvert came to rest against a palm tree.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Glad you're OK, but sure sucks about the car.

Hope your insurance company and the truck owner's insurance company treats you OK... dealing with those bastards can sometimes be worse than the accident.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,429 Posts
Alpha chassis proving it can take a HIT.

glad u are okay.

I remember seeing a crash test video for front quarter impact at 30 or 40 on YouTube and the way the car took the hit made me feel proud to drive an ATS. Very safe andexcellent handling car.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,987 Posts
Glad you're OK, but sure sucks about the car.

Hope your insurance company and the truck owner's insurance company treats you OK... dealing with those bastards can sometimes be worse than the accident.
Sorry, but there's absolutely zero rationale to having anything to do with the ' truck owner's insurance company'. That just makes me flinch every time someone mentions it. Your own ins. carrier is what you pay your premium for in order for them to cover your comp. and collision damages. Then THEY claim and settle against the 'other' insured's carrier. YOUR carrier is the only one representing and protecting your interests with the same 100's of lawyers and adjusters as the other company's hundreds of the same.

So yah, to the OP very fortunate neither you nor others injured or worse from that driver's behavior. Running the light appears to merit both criminal AND civil cause for action.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,289 Posts
50 mph is a serious hit. Glad you're okay. Looks like the hit involved a rotation to full body to body side hit as well. Thank goodness for front and side airbags, plus the knee bags. Good luck getting your new V.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,722 Posts
First words out of my mouth were "Holy Sh!t". Glad you appear to be okay, but perhaps you need a full checkup by a doctor. Good luck with your forthcoming battles. Let us know what is happening to you and your car.

Reactions: dchavezo

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry, but there's absolutely zero rationale to having anything to do with the ' truck owner's insurance company'. That just makes me flinch every time someone mentions it. Your own ins. carrier is what you pay your premium for in order for them to cover your comp. and collision damages. Then THEY claim and settle against the 'other' insured's carrier. YOUR carrier is the only one representing and protecting your interests with the same 100's of lawyers and adjusters as the other company's hundreds of the same.

So yah, to the OP very fortunate neither you nor others injured or worse from that driver's behavior. Running the light appears to merit both criminal AND civil cause for action.
You are correct, if your insurance company is doing their job they'll take care of you ASAP and deal with the at-fault party's insurance behind the scenes and you won't have any issues. That's been the experience dealing with my insurance company the couple of times I've had to use them-- quick and painless.

However, more than once I've seen and heard a rep use "we're dealing with the other party's insurance" as the reason for a lengthy delay of resolution/payment. So while you're not dealing with the other party's insurance directly, they are being used as the reason for slow payment/resolution. This happened to one friend late last year when someone ran a red light and totaled his work truck, and another friend is dealing with it right now after a minor rear end accident at a red light where he stopped for the yellow but the driver behind assumed he would run the light. In both cases the reps kept using "we're investigating the at-fault party and their insurance" as the reason for lengthy delays on the claims and payouts.

After several weeks of delays both friends ended up calling the at-fault party's insurance for updates to see what was happening since they didn't trust the info coming from their own insurance rep.

These poor experiences are the fault of their own individual claim reps more than anything else, but those reps managed to turn what should have both been simple claims into an ordeal. The friend with the work truck had to come up with a bunch of money out of pocket to replace his work truck ASAP so he could keep working and keep income rolling in while he waited 7 weeks for a check for his totaled truck. He ended up changing insurance companies.

That's why I said dealing with insurance companies can be a pain "sometimes"-- and occasionally you might have to contact the insurance of the other party, but that's not typical.

Anyways, less about insurance and more on Dave's search for a new car...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,722 Posts
Just missed a nice one on Bring a Trailer. You interested in a manual or auto? Any other specifics? And what part of the country do you live in? Willing to travel to pick one up?

Reactions: PaulSch

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,987 Posts
'Preciate the follow-on. Speaks volumes about insurance coverage being the classic 'get what you pay for' relative to high quality service v. poor performing carriers (or as you say just an incompetent rep(s)) shirking involvement and effort in representing their own client. I agree to get off the insurance, but just to counter the unfortunate situation that I see FAR too often of folks defaulting to cutting their own carrier out of appropriately representing them. My own son and his new wife did that after getting hit, and I gave them some 'tough love' a$$-reeming for it. Oh BTW, they ended up indeed getting screwed over with disallowed 'pre-existing conditions', and the son's carrier just went, "So sorry, you decided to work directly with the other insured's co." A valuable lesson they learned young eh.

I'm in just to see 'ol -Dave is made whole. And then some. And tinman is already on the hunt!

·
Registered
2020 XT5, 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just missed a nice one on Bring a Trailer. You interested in a manual or auto? Any other specifics? And what part of the country do you live in? Willing to travel to pick one up?
Probably will look for a M6 this time. I'm in SW Florida, but will travel when I find the right one. There is a White sedan M6 up in NY that I found. In the mean time, waiting in insurance.

And, good news, I'm not broke - just badly bent :cool: . Xrays all turned out cool!

Went to the tow yard today. This is what is left of her.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
569 Posts
My first totaling accident was in my first Grand Prix, head on on a 55 limit street. That's 110 mph for those of you with my ex's math skills. My shoulder and wrist were broken. That was it. The car was of course totaled, but looked better than your ATS.

I've never driven anything but American. I never will. I agree that you should get checked, but I'm glad you're okay so far.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,051 Posts
Graphic testimony to stuff like seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, side protection. If that had been my 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS I'd have been a dead puppy.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,987 Posts
Just to get it out of the way, "Dibs on the reflector." Now, if you'd been .5 second quicker off the line.

Reactions: dchavezo

·
Registered
621 Posts
The picture in the tow yard looks 10x worse than the picture at the scene... ouch!

I might have chuckled a bit when I noticed the picture name was "squished-ats-full2-jpeg" :ROFLMAO:

Graphic testimony to stuff like seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, side protection. If that had been my 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS I'd have been a dead puppy.
Indeed. As much as I love the looks of and like driving my classics, the saying "they don't make them like they used to" is a very, very good thing when it comes to occupant survivability.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,429 Posts
What a hit. I can’t get over it.
The car def did it’s job and like sub said what a testament to the quality. ATS 4 life

·
Registered
16 ATS-V Sedan
8 Posts
Stuff happens, get a new car. I can't stand all the attention to a totaled car. He probably won't even get another V car. Let's move along with life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts