Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 months ago my steering rack started leaking from the seals very slowly. i purchased a new delco rack.. and figured ide get to it when i get to it.. in looking at my front brakes recently the rotors werent wearing evenly, so i decided to purchase now front rotors and pads. while i was in there doing the rack. I started the job last night... well 5 hours later.. and significant use of my torch.. ive now ripped the spindles off, upper controll arms, and everything affiliated.... I Swear to God... EVERY GM car i work on has to have the controll arm bolts torched out.. FML ... sometimes i wish i didnt work on my own stuff.. although i gather i couldnt afford all my cars if i didnt... so now $800 in parts later.. my Escalade will have a new rack, new outer tie rods, new upper controll arms, new lower ball joints( the reason i decided to tear into the suspension), new rotors, and pads.

And the upper controll arm botls deserve their own thread... went to take the nuts off after putting some blaster on them... Bolts snapped off (3 of 4) .. when that occurred i knew i was effed on getting them out easy, had to spend way to much time torching out the old bushings so i could get direct heat on the sleeve, once the entire sleeve was red hot.. the air hammer finally worked to punch the bolts out..

:(:(:(:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::want::want::want::mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wow.. lots of rust under there?

I have a '10 but live in Georgia. I haven't had to address this yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in wisco.. but often time buy cars out of state. my caddy is from southern IN, and spent some of its early life even more southern. i bought a camaro from Southern MO last year and had to do the same thing...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Haha, I remember doing my UCAs. I took a sawzall and cut the bolts off right next to the bushings to get them out. GM corrosion protection is pathetic. I coated the new bolts with anti-seize for the next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts