Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this lalty..... and since my car is rare (1 of 119) and whatnot....

I plan on keeping the car.....forever... I know, as silly as it sounds..... but I do....and my question is, should I keep it all stock, or allow myself to customize it and have fun etc...... I am on both sides of the fence, sure stock is nice, but that owuld be good if the miles were low (under 50k) and my car already has 86,xxx miles, so even if I hardly drive it, and after a few years, I get 100k miles on it, that really isn't anything soo special or low millage..... the thing that makes my car rare is the paint color, that's it, so I figured as long as I do not do anythign to the outside of it (paint) it'll be fine....

Things I would like to do with it in the future:

finish building up my nice sound system
cat-back exhaust
performance parts...computer chip, nice tune up, whatever else I can find
I would liek to race the car at the drag strip a few times/year
maybe some exterrior visual stuff.... tinted windows, *MAYBE* blue underbody neons, I would like to get some nice wheels etc....

...all this stuff is add-ons and can always be reversed etc...... I dunno, I don't think it is worth keeping all stock and worrying about miles and stuff, I love to drive this car... I have personally put almost 6,500miles on it, 3k miles was in the first month and a half of driving it.... I do not drive it much in the winter, but int he summer, man, I just love crusing in it.....

The other thing is, it isn't like an old Road Runner or something, where the whole car is rare, it just happens that the color combo/body style makes it rare.... the interrior, drive line etc... is all just your regular DeVille.... like I said, millage really dosn't bother me...while seeing a higher number does give me the internal "old" feeling, I would rather enjoy my car for what it was built for then worry about a number displayed ont he dash....and things like every single rubber item in the car wear out not on miles, but in time, weather the car is being used or not....they wear....

I first figured (before I found out it is a rare car) that i would keep it becuase, I woudl have it ATLEAST until after college, by then it will have lost soo much value and be old, that I would rather keep the $1500 I would get for it, and have it, I already have too many memories with the car to get rid of it. So it just makes sense to hold onto it, plus, this car is mint, not a spec of rust on the underbody, the engine bay is as clean as could be and looks brand new (except for the stupid front valve cover paint) the engine is like new..... before I started driving, I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, so technically since 80k miles she has had Mobil 1 (I'll be switching to Mobil 1 ATF when I get a fluid flush and filter change in the spring) when I remove the oil fill cap and look into the valve covers, there is NO build up or tarnis or anything, just clear, solid metal, all a good sign......

Also, I am getting a winter car, hopefully this weekend, so this is the last winter she will ever have to deal with (get a niiiiiiice long bath before she get's put away for the rest of the winter)

that's my view on it.... what does everyone else think?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Keep it original!! Do you want resale value!! If you have the feel for customization, get a camaro and who cares. You and I have nice cars, and people I know talked me out of installing a pioneer cd player in mine when I had that radio trouble earlier this year. When I was flirting with the idea of selling mine because I was offered around 17,000 U.S. for it, it was ONLY worth that because it is original condition. I still have paper tags and color paint dots on the underside of my car, and that seems to impress people that look at it. How many souped up or customized cars do you see for around $3500 in the classified section of your newspaper? The answer, A LOT! Customized cars are cars that have become someone else's dream ride, but I guarentee, they would not likely become mine or your dream ride. The downside is that probably only a serious Cadillac collector or enthuisiast will give you big money for it if it has higher mileage. Keep it original, keep your value, and if you are getting bored with it like unfortunately too many people do today, buy something else to modify. I'm sure Sandy will tell you the same! bouncer:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, your car has very low miles, if my car had 25k miles, I would do my best to keep it low and everything orignal.... but it has 86k miles...there is a differnce there.....

I would love to get a nd car (well, a car to have fun with) but that is out of my budget too..... I WOULD get a late 80's Brougham and swap out the 307 for a 403 or 455 etc..... but that is too much money at my age, I need it for more important things, but would like to do things with the DeVille at the same time....

..... tuning my winter car woudl be fun....lol...not....late 80's Caprice...mmmm those 305's have gobs of power on hand, just gotta know how to get it from them :D :rolleyes: sure a 350 swap would be doable, but then if I start building it up, I will not want to use it as a winter car, so that is going to stay as it will :)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Well, your car has very low miles, if my car had 25k miles, I would do my best to keep it low and everything orignal.... but it has 86k miles...there is a differnce there.....

I would love to get a nd car (well, a car to have fun with) but that is out of my budget too..... I WOULD get a late 80's Brougham and swap out the 307 for a 403 or 455 etc..... but that is too much money at my age, I need it for more important things, but would like to do things with the DeVille at the same time....

..... tuning my winter car woudl be fun....lol...not....late 80's Caprice...mmmm those 305's have gobs of power on hand, just gotta know how to get it from them :D :rolleyes: sure a 350 swap would be doable, but then if I start building it up, I will not want to use it as a winter car, so that is going to stay as it will :)
With anything as rare as yours, rarity overrides mileage IMO. For example, if you found a 1959 Eldorado convertible in good shape with 200,000 miles on it, would that matter?

I had mine out just a couple of times this winter, BUT NEVER if there is wet salt on the ground. ;) There is not much snow here and I will only take it out if it is at least -10 C. I long for summer.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Ditto + 1,000 %

Would you like to add color to the Mona Lisa ?

Okay, it's not the Mona Lisa, but you get the picture. Put another way....Right now I am paying unbelieveable bills to the university my 19 year old son is going to, paying off a debt, and licking my wounds over some bad mutual funds. If not for those 3, I'd pay you $4,500 for your car. If you mess around with it, I would not want it at any price.

Look at all the Caddy people on this site. Now......Imagine how many exist in the USA, that are NOT on here? Lots of people would beat a path to your door for it, but nobody will want it with a cat back and whatever else your dreamin of. They want special/rare cars bone stock. Enjoy what you have. I wish I had it, okay?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I think that you guys are right, to a point. Cars are ment to be driven and if adding wheels and exaust and things makes it more enjoyable for the person to drive it Then it ups the value of the car for that person. Now if you get cars to fix them to stock and sell them for big bucks, thats different. And just keep the stock wheels and stuff so if you ever do sell it you can take your new stuff off and put the stock stuff back on. My point, its your car, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find myself agreeing with both sides of this discussion. On one hand, I prefer bone stock, low mileage survivors even if they are not a rare or desirable model. You could show me a '73 Pinto that has 10,000 original miles on it and I'd enjoy looking it over. I probably wouldn't buy it if it were for sale, but I'd have fun looking at it. On the other hand I'm all for enjoying a car, and if that means a few modifications here and there, so be it. I do, however, object to modifying a car that has a legitimate place in automotive history. In other words, I'd eat bugs before I could do something such as tub out an original Yenko Camaro, or make a convertible out of a Hemi Daytona.
Now, when it comes to the car being discussed here, I don't mean to offend anyone, but it doesn't seem that the paint color alone is going to have much influence on future value. That, coupled with the fact that the mileage is not what most would consider to be unusually low, I think you should do whatever you want to do without worrying about defiling a collectable classic.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
My car has 25,100 miles as of today. As you can see, keeping it stock wasn't an option for me.

But I have kept all of the stock parts. And so far, I haven't done anything that would prevent me from returning the car to original. Although, hotrod parts from 40 years ago are highly collectable. So maybe I am adding value!

Do a price check on a true classic Cadillac, like a '63 Coupe Deville Convertible. Then check the price of a '63 Impala Convertible.

The '96 Impala SS is already worth more than my '96 Fleetwood. And it cost $20,000 more than when it was new.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id keep it stock personally..... Think about what youll like in 20 years, it wont be a system and exhaust..... i think the chip might be decent, but not much other than that.....

Whatever you decide to do, dont get into too far and keep all the original parts.....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
DeVillish said:
I think that you guys are right, to a point. Cars are ment to be driven and if adding wheels and exaust and things makes it more enjoyable for the person to drive it Then it ups the value of the car for that person. Now if you get cars to fix them to stock and sell them for big bucks, thats different. And just keep the stock wheels and stuff so if you ever do sell it you can take your new stuff off and put the stock stuff back on. My point, its your car, do what makes you happy.
True, people must be able to enjoy their vehicles, but he needed to hear alternative opinions about future "options" he has. We are after all dealing with a rare automobile here. In ten years his car could very well be the next '59 Caddy, how do we know?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm...the more I think aobut it, the more I'll keep it stock, I figure, the car was made for nice ride and comfort and having everything automatic for the driver, so why mess with a good thing (it would kinda be like trying to make a Corvette have the rid of a Caddy) and the power, well, it's definitly there, more then I woudl ever need for day to day driving, and plenty to satisfy my need for speed, so while I may still get the computer chip, the exhaust will stay stock.... I am still going to get a ncie sound system, but that will not effect the car at all..... I just love the car, and enjoy driving it....about the 2.73 FDR.... it dosn't bother me now, becuase while it is laid back (alot) it is fine, plus it makes it a great highway crusier (2000rpm at 80mph) and good fuel millage too....

Maybe in a couple of years, depending on what's going on, I'll get the '77-'89 DeVille/Brougham (big body RWD chassis) and depending on the year, swap in a Caddy 500, or an Olds 403 or 455, then build it up...there are more performance parts for those enignes then my 4.9 aswell.......

Also, as long as the DeVille has the power to completly kill the Civcs and other rice mobiles, then I am agead of the game :D, like I was saying though, it is just a great car to drive, and I am not going to try and improve the handeling, as that is obvously not what it was made for, and I wouldn't want to make the ride worse, and the power is fine.... I will get the computer chip, and then do a nice complete tuneup using good highquality/performance parts, and then keep everything wihtin the engine in great shape.

Thanks for everyones input :)

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
Night Wolf said:
hmmm...the more I think aobut it, the more I'll keep it stock, I figure, the car was made for nice ride and comfort and having everything automatic for the driver, so why mess with a good thing (it would kinda be like trying to make a Corvette have the rid of a Caddy) and the power, well, it's definitly there, more then I woudl ever need for day to day driving, and plenty to satisfy my need for speed, so while I may still get the computer chip, the exhaust will stay stock.... I am still going to get a ncie sound system, but that will not effect the car at all..... I just love the car, and enjoy driving it....about the 2.73 FDR.... it dosn't bother me now, becuase while it is laid back (alot) it is fine, plus it makes it a great highway crusier (2000rpm at 80mph) and good fuel millage too....

Maybe in a couple of years, depending on what's going on, I'll get the '77-'89 DeVille/Brougham (big body RWD chassis) and depending on the year, swap in a Caddy 500, or an Olds 403 or 455, then build it up...there are more performance parts for those enignes then my 4.9 aswell.......

Also, as long as the DeVille has the power to completly kill the Civcs and other rice mobiles, then I am agead of the game :D, like I was saying though, it is just a great car to drive, and I am not going to try and improve the handeling, as that is obvously not what it was made for, and I wouldn't want to make the ride worse, and the power is fine.... I will get the computer chip, and then do a nice complete tuneup using good highquality/performance parts, and then keep everything wihtin the engine in great shape.

Thanks for everyones input :)
I bought my first car in 1958, age 18, a 56 Chevy V8 3 on the tree. In all these years, I buy for the same reasons. Enjoy! :bouncy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts