Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just as the title states my oil temp gauge doesn't work. In our little information center is just has --- lines through it like that. I know it many may find it weird that I am asking this because I have read about all the problems people have had with that stupid sensor. Many of you probably wish yours didn't work like mine doesn't so that you wouldn't hear the high oil temp alarm.

Now that I am beginning to both track and auto-x the car I am concerned with what this gauge has to tell me. I really have no clue why it isn't working. I've checked the wiring harness and it was good and the sensor was plugged in. This sensor is located in the oil pan itself and also acts as an oil level sensor. (I believe...may be wrong)? None of my local dealers have it in stock and both of them said it would take them 4 days to get. That makes me think that maybe its not the sensor as other people are not having the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? :stirpot: Maybe did someone before me ground out this sensor? My car has been through a motor swap, but dont think that should make a difference. My last resort is going to be to run a new sensor and gauge from autometer, but I'd rather not do that unless worse comes to worse.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
With the dashed lines I would say sensor or one of the wires is missing its home so the computer never sees the signal. Just cause its easy, I would do the sensor first. It wouldn't be the first one I have heard of that needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
CTS-V
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhh yes! Electronics schematics. Haven't seen these since high school! HA!

I can tell that what I need to do it on the back of the sensor. When you say "Jump" B and C are you saying hook an external power source? or just throw a jumper wire between the two?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
B is hot and C is ground. Just though a jumper in and you should see something pop up in the screen. Not sure which way it goes but most likely it will show as hot as it will go. 329 or something like that.

The temp sensor is basically a heat sensitive resister. The hotter is gets the less resistance it has. Thus, if you short them together, you get the highest reading possible and should get a chime and an oil temp warning inside the cockpit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts