Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 99 STS, sold it, purchased a 03 STS. Seems to me the 99 performed (acceleration) much better than the 03 even though they both have the same HP & Torque ratings.:wacky: Having said that, the 03 with Mag Ride handles way way better.:yup:
Comments or opinions :welcome:.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Two thoughts.... the 99 was the last year for the 'high' compression ratio although I don't think it would have much of an effect, the other thought is, the PAL system within the car may not be adapted to you yet, Given some more time it probably will come up to 'expectations' (I think its PAL or is it PAS )

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
Curious - according to graphs posted in this forum recently the 2001 STS plots faster in the 0-60 and 1/4 times than the 99. The 2003 is not plotted.

The difference between CVRSS and Magnetic Ride Control is profound. I have extensively driven both suspensions and for all intents and purposes they are two different cars. The MRC really shines when you go crazy stupid on back country roads. As I have found, it will let you scrub off a set of tires in short order - BUT these are FWD cars, so there is a limit to their road racing abilities.

PAS (Performance Algorithm Shifting) kicks in when the car senses roll, pitch, yaw, braking, and throttle openings indicating that the car is being driven aggressively and then goes into a different set of transmission control programs which changes shift points, downshift points, and holds engine speeds up in the rpm range during hard cornering. You may never feel this mode engage unless you are comfortable driving at insane speeds on twisty roads.

(EDIT: Go back 5 pages in this (Seville) Forum and find the thread "Fastest Eldorado". Look at the links in Posts 4 & 7. Save the links or copy the images to your Cadillac Info files.)

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
My 01 STS will outrun my dads current 99, and from videos I have of his first 99, it would have outrun that one too.

That said, I would rather have a "slower" 03 with mag ride.... The search continues for the right one.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
I've clocked my '00 STS at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds several times. I've driven '99's however and they did seem to have a little more oomph, but it's been 2 years since driving one so I would have to do it again to see if that holds true.

But yes I will agree the MRC is much, much improved over CVRSS. Had a chance to drive a Crimson '03 STS about 3 months ago and it feels alot tighter and more controlled than my STS ever has. If I wouldn't have lost my butt on my '00 I would have traded for it ASAP.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
I dont want to drive one until Im ready to buy it.... Mag ride is going to make my 01 feel like a dump truck.

·
Registered
2003 STS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAG RIDE RULES!!!!!
I live in the mountains of East TN and yes I drive crazy. If you have ever heard of "The Dragon" that runs in TN and NC, I live only a short drive away. I haven't had the 03 there yet. Will have to wait til late fall when all tourist leave the area.

BUY AN 03!! YOU WILL LOVE IT.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
When I first got my car I took it up and down Seven Devil's and all through
Grandfather Mountain I was shocked at well it handled. I was suspecting that since it was FWD and 4000lbs it wasn't going to handle all that well. I can imagine that the MRC is like 10x better.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
mag ride rules!!!!!
I live in the mountains of east tn and yes i drive crazy. If you have ever heard of "the dragon" that runs in tn and nc, i live only a short drive away. I haven't had the 03 there yet. Will have to wait til late fall when all tourist leave the area.

buy an 03!! You will love it.

until you have to replace those shocks and struts!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Actually Raze magne-ride's are cheaper to replace than CVRSS shocks & struts. I know it sounds crazy but its true.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado
440 Posts
Next time our paths cross Ryan, we should race ours with video. 99 vs 00.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
Actually Raze magne-ride's are cheaper to replace than CVRSS shocks & struts. I know it sounds crazy but its true.
If you're talking about the difference between F45 and F55 of $12-80 when each strut costs over $650 each for either type you're splitting hairs, I was making a comment about the relative cost of ACDelco suspension parts for any of these cars...

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you're talking about the difference between F45 and F55 of $12-80 when each strut costs over $650 each for either type you're splitting hairs, I was making a comment about the relative cost of ACDelco suspension parts for any of these cars...
Well considering those are supposed to last the lifetime of the vechicle hopefully he wont ever have to replace them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah it is rather funny lol. The only reason I even said something was because he was referring to his experience from a 99 to his current 03. The CVRSS system that was installed on his 99 wasnt nearly as reliable as his 03's F55 so if anything he'll be happy to go from F45 to F55 both performance wise and cost wise. I dont think theres many people who havent replaced or needs to replace the rear shocks on the 98-early 02 models. They wear out and when they do, it makes the back end seem like its filled with helium the way it wants to leave the ground when cornering. Hopefully he will get alot more use out of his magne-ride shocks than his old ones.

·
Administrator
71,016 Posts
One of the reasons that the MRC struts and shocks should outlast CVRSS units is the lack of moving parts in the MRC. The fluid viscosity changes and therefore flow control is done electrically , not with valving.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So why cant the magne-ride shocks and struts be installed one non-factory equipped models? Is it a mounting issue or something more complicated?

·
Administrator
71,016 Posts
The entire drivetrain (transmission) and chassis control algorithms are totally different. Most of the ABS and EBCM modules are also different. (Now whether that's just different module ID numbers due to model year or something more, I'm not sure.) BUT, the MRC suspension is VERY different from CVRSS.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a different PCM program, either.

Google "magnetic rheological suspension" and "lord magnetic suspension fluid" for more insight. When you find the Lord site, find the "automotive" pages and read the suspension technology.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts