Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
The problem with that article covering the EV that caught fire. It did not say which size powertrain battery it was. The smaller, 27 kWh battery, used air cooling for managing the temperature. Whereas the larger battery uses liquid cooling.

I believe using air cooling was a stupid idea. It's like a bike that air cools, if you aren't moving then you aren't cooling. So who knows if this owner did a lot of sitting in traffic with the A/C on or whatever that drew a lot of power from the battery. By doing this, is quite possible that cell damage occurred and it later caused a fire.

So look for an EV that has liquid cooling for the batteries. In researching this. I do find it odd that Hyundai decided not to use active warming for the battery for USA destine Kona EV. Which is an other thing for EVs. Active cooling and warming (liquid) is kinda important for the battery. Both for safety and range and charging speed.

Tesla sent out a software update a couple months ago. Where if you go on a trip and you'll be using the Super Charging network. Then the car will pre-condition the battery a couple miles before it reaches the Super Charger. Either it will cool it or warm it up. Doing this shortens the charging time because the battery will be at optimal charging temperature.

KOT

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think an issue that you will have to face after buying an electric car is the Car cann't drive too far away !!! Just like Tesla and the Scope is like maybe 800 KM or 1000 KM at most , This cause concern !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
xiaojie