Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ATS almost overheated while idling so when I got home I checked things out. Low radiator fluid. Radiator fan not working. Spark plugs equally covered in fluffy black carbon, all looked exactly the same. I think it’s the radiator coolant sensor, but not sure what to expect. I’m still under bumper to bumper so I took it in. While I was at the dealership, I test drove a new CT4-V AWD. And they paid me $100 for my time. This was an interesting warranty service visit 😎 This is my drive review of the Cadillac CT4-V.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
342 Posts
I'm shocked! You have always babied your ATS. I guess there are forces in the Universe we can neither predict nor control. Fingers crossed as I say this, I am nearing 120k miles on mine and it drives like a new car.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm shocked! You have always babied your ATS. I guess there are forces in the Universe we can neither predict nor control. Fingers crossed as I say this, I am nearing 120k miles on mine and it drives like a new car.
It has been incredible up until just now. I'll let you know what they find. I really think its the coolant sensor... at least it makes sense that the car doesn't know that its hot and stays in "warm up mode" all the time... which would explain why the fan wont come on and the car is running rich. We shall see what the mechanic comes back with... he did tell me that he pulled a too rich in bank 1 code. Never saw anything on the dash though. Could be multiple failures? I should know more soon and I will share.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
320 Posts
Great review!

I agree that the ATS was maybe too cutting edge for the Cadillac buyer. But for me it's perfect. The looks continue to impress, great handling, and the response from the 3.6 is the cherry on top. Even with it's quirks, still love the car. I'm under 35K on mine, so hopefully it will give me a lot more service in the much more forgiving southwest environment.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
111 Posts
I wonder to what extent the trans and throttle being in learning mode affected your drive? I believe that's the joint GM-Ford 10spd and it has been getting pretty good reviews.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,854 Posts
Thanks for your review and it fits with what I found that Cadillac just doesn't have anything now that is a good daily driver replacement for my 2014 ATS RWD 3.6. I am not sure I am going to find anything in the GM family to replace it.

Hope your ATS is back in your hands soon!

Rodger

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,513 Posts
Thanks for a great review video. That spice color is a 2020 V only.

I posted my CT4-V review. I also feel the Sport + V seats are great. I don't see any issue with the trans.

I agree that the ATS has a more sexy/unique look and the steering/turn-in is quicker.
CT4 has the smoother ride, which can make it less sporty feeling. I wonder what mode you were in??
You need to be in Sport or V mode to get the faster ratio steering like the ATS Sport mode, which I think is
between CT4 Sport + V modes.

CT4 is about 4" longer, but it is not higher. The seat position and the high front hood make it look and feel bigger
than ATS.

Every time we move from a favorite car to another car, same brand/model or not, there will be features we
like better and some we don't like as much.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T coupe
30 Posts
I love everything about my ATS couple. Being a coupe I think makes it handle even better. The only thing I don't care for is the run flats. I think they make the ride to hard. I know I need to go with low profile but am almost sure im not getting run flats.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
856 Posts
My ATS has been a fascinating car. It's been the best car I've ever owned, an absolute joy to drive and daily drive, and I want to keep it forever. It's also a car that I would never recommend to pretty much anyone unless they don't mind tinkering or wrenching or don't need to have a perfect car at all times.
If the CT4-V (or even the CT4 Sport) had a manual transmission option it would absolutely be on my short list of ATS replacements. I'm not very interested in the Blackwing or M3 (way to much power for my daily use), so I'll be keeping my ATS going for as long as possible, which is fine 'cause I love it!

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My ATS has been a fascinating car. It's been the best car I've ever owned, an absolute joy to drive and daily drive, and I want to keep it forever. It's also a car that I would never recommend to pretty much anyone unless they don't mind tinkering or wrenching or don't need to have a perfect car at all times.
If the CT4-V (or even the CT4 Sport) had a manual transmission option it would absolutely be on my short list of ATS replacements. I'm not very interested in the Blackwing or M3 (way to much power for my daily use), so I'll be keeping my ATS going for as long as possible, which is fine 'cause I love it!
I feel the same way 😎👍

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder to what extent the trans and throttle being in learning mode affected your drive? I believe that's the joint GM-Ford 10spd and it has been getting pretty good reviews.
I guess it’s possible what I was experiencing is a 10 speed vs a 6 speed. The 10 speed shifts A LOT more than a 6. I might be simply more accustom to feeling specific gears... shifts that stay in gear longer. Perhaps the 10 speed that seemed to be hunting and pecking for a gear was normal behavior but it was new to me. It just felt vague.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
111 Posts
I guess it’s possible what I was experiencing is a 10 speed vs a 6 speed. The 10 speed shifts A LOT more than a 6. I might be simply more accustom to feeling specific gears... shifts that stay in gear longer. Perhaps the 10 speed that seemed to be hunting and pecking for a gear was normal behavior but it was new to me. It just felt vague.
Good point. I forget that not everyone in an ATS is driving the 8-spd. Yeah. Basically the sole reason for existence of the 8 and 10 spd trannies is mileage. They upshift aggressively and downshift not so much. I tend to blame that on the general purpose flakiness of the 8-spd, but a lot of it is just inherent.

That left paddle gets some use.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point. I forget that not everyone in an ATS is driving the 8-spd. Yeah. Basically the sole reason for existence of the 8 and 10 spd trannies is mileage. They upshift aggressively and downshift not so much. I tend to blame that on the general purpose flakiness of the 8-spd, but a lot of it is just inherent.

That left paddle gets some use.
I had a Ford F-150 for a few months while I waited for an airbag for my old Ford Edge. It had the new 10 speed mated to a 5.0 liter... I could manage 19-20 mpg in the city with that massive vehicle. Incredible 👍

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,562 Posts
At least from the specs and what I have read about it I am not thrilled with the CT4 V. CT4 is 4.4" longer but interior room is close to the same and not impressed with the engine/transmission. I was hoping for a full redesign where 3" would have 1" in the front, 1" for rear seat and 1" for trunk as I think all could stand to be slightly larger. Then with the engine/transmission a lot of reviews talk about the engine being too coarse, max hp is at 5600 rpm and transmission hunts. Definitely not enough benefits for me to trade in my car this year or next.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
737 Posts
At least you didn't get an XT5 loaner? haha

I appreciate that Cadillac is still offering sport sedans in a time of crossover/SUV craze, and I hope the CT4 sells well. That said, it is such a styling downgrade imo and I just cannot settle for it considering how unique and striking the ATS and 3rdgen CTS are, nothing else from any brand looks like those cars. With the CT4/5 Cadillac really lost that dynamic trademark look, and the cars take many design elements from other automakers. They aren't ugly, but they're just so uninspired. Perhaps they went with a "safer" design to appeal to the masses, or maybe Andrew Smith, Josh Thurber, and company just need a scolding.

As for the powerplant of the CT4-V at least, I think the output is a healthy number and I'm fine with it. But no manual option unless you get the top tier Blackwing model (or maybe it's just the CT5-V BW that offers a manual?) is just another disappointment. An automatic with10 gears is too many, the 8spd ATS loaner I had wouldn't hold gears and gear hunted no matter what I did with the drive modes.

But hey, the volume knob is back so it's got that going for it. And the analog gauges look better than the ATS's, albeit still kind of boring. And the output of the low beams is an improvement as well.

Oh how I would love to manual swap a CTS Vsport...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts