Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Sedan DeVille, 2006 DTS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my dream came true over the weekend, i bought a caddy!! yes she needs a lot of work but the interior is beautiful and the engine runs great and trans shifts smoothly! its a 368 v8 with a 4 barrel...
So a few questions:
#1) What kind of oil is best for these engines? I was thinking 10W-30 Dino oil (she has just over 100k miles)
#2) Theres a light that comes on the dash and wont go off when you shut off the car, "Security System" and if i dont disconnect the battery it will drain it after a day or two... what could this be? can i just disable the security system? fuse? etc
#3) Power seat dont work... when you hit the controls you hear the motor whine but nothing happens, whats a common failure on these cars for that?
Thats about it for now! This weekend im gonna change all the plugs and wires, flush the rad, change the oil and get it ready for the road then its on to the body work!

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Nice Caddy.
As to your questions, the oil you mention is fine. My 80 coupe has well over 360,000 miles and I used to use straight 30 or 40, with no issues.
The security system tell-tale light is telling you to "arm" activate your security system in the car. Is it constantly lit or is it flashing when the ignition is off and door open? My memory is a lil rusty but I believe it should flash when door is ajar and ignition off, press lock on the d/s arm rest and close door. It should go off. I'd have to check with my owner's manual to recall the correct operation. You can disable it but it has a lot of fuses that make it work. You mention power seat doesn't work- which side? Mine didn't work either and I swapped the whole switch from the d/s arm rest and it worked. Later on, it gave out I replaced the entire seat track that is bolted to the underneath of the seat and works fine now. Usually the common issue here is the drive cables break. I've heard that taking a cordless drill to it will make your seat move in the direction you want, but I have not tried this myself.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,198 Posts
Nice ride.

Sometimes the seat transmission cables become unplugged. Looks like giant speedometer cable. Other times the seat transmission quits.

I've used 10W40 in all my Cadillacs for 35 years.

30 is too light for my taste.

My 10W40 filled 500 started up numerous times just fine in 4 degree weather while sitting all weekend this past winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much everyone! well i just put in a big order at rockauto last night, all the tune up essentials cap rotor plugs wires, all filters, gonna get oil tomorrow, valve covers etc but when i came home today.... uh oh! there was a giant puddle of coolant sitting under my car :( so i crawled under there, car was cold nobody has touched it since sunday... and it looks to me like the leak is coming from the water pump :/ oh boy....

----------

any tips on replacing the pump and gaskets on a 368? and yes of course ill change both hoses on there while im down there. im pretty mechanically inclined and can take the rad and fan shroud out no problem. then i assume get all the belts off which i can do. I think i can tackle it my other car is an impala with the GM 3800 engine and ive changed the intake manifold gaskets before so im not afraid to get involved in a project lol just a little nervous... what pulleys have to come off? im gonna buy a puller tool this week

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
The water pump is not all that hard, and I don't think you will need any pullers or special tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you both so much for the quick response!! do you recommend any type of RTV on the gasket? Thread lock on the bolts? just wanna make sure i do this job one time and i do it right lol im itching to go for a cruise and enjoy the car!!

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Good score on a sweet ride!
Glad you found the forum. We love sweet old rides like that.
:welcome:

PS: Good to see you around again Edgar!(1980coupe):D

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,198 Posts
Make sure the replacement pump has the correct casting cutout for the crank pulley. Only pitfall I know of.

Otherwise it is a 3 hour job. There are some smaller fasteners that do not need to be gorilla tightened.

I suggest replacing the thermostat also. They get weird after a drain and refill. That takes more time than many of the era.

Be sure to have a nice fresh fan belt around the new pump. Overtensioning the belt is the fastest way to launch a water pump bearing. Some brands of fan belts break in and require re-adjustment. That's really a sign of poor parts but that's the way it is like Walter Cronkite used to say.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
That's a superb project car nonetheless better than I expected it would be
Thanks for the pictures :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey everyone! thank you all so much for your comments! just got home from work and started taking the fan shroud off, took me a half hour to get 2-3 bolts off the rad support lol everythings so rusty.......... gonna have to get used to working on something this old! tomorrow ill lift out the rad and give it a close check because i might just replace it anyways as its pretty gunked up inside. but yes thanks again everyone very glad i found this website!

----------

If you hate automotive computers 1980 is a great year since it's the last without all that jazz.
yes exactly! i cant stand computers which is why i bought this one!

----------

also ill add this: taking rad all the way out because i dont wanna split the fan shroud lol looks like theres old rivets there holding the top half to the bottom half, so i guess ill just disconnect the hoses and lift the rad then wrestle the shroud out. also i soaked the fan bolts with PB blaster so hopefully they come off somewhat easy (i doubt it) this weekend

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
I'm digging the amber lenses, big back window, and door panel trim on your car. I'm sure its a keeper! As for the work required, i recommend replacing your timing chain and gears. Its only a few bolts and hub removal and bam, worry-free miles ahead :). If you are doing the oil pan gasket in the future, it helps to raise the motor a bit and its easy work from there. Nice Cadillac , i hope you find more.
Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey everyone! i got the water pump in now im just fighting the belts back on, the one that goes Crank, a/c, and power steering was easy. .and the alternator to water pump is easy too, but the hard part is the middle belt that goes
SMOG pump, .Water Pump and crank.... how do you release the tension??! i cant see any sliders on the smog pump to pivot it around like the PS and alt have, any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
hey everyone! i got the water pump in now im just fighting the belts back on, the one that goes Crank, a/c, and power steering was easy. .and the alternator to water pump is easy too, but the hard part is the middle belt that goes
SMOG pump, .Water Pump and crank.... how do you release the tension??! i cant see any sliders on the smog pump to pivot it around like the PS and alt have, any help is greatly appreciated!
The A.I.R. pump has a pivot bolt, according to my 1980 service manual it is located below pump. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1980 coupe thank you so so so much! got it all back together and changed the oil too, started it up after a long like 6 hours of work and she runs great and no leaks!!! o btw where did you find service manuals? I wanna buy one lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts