Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
Cadillac
16,120 Posts
If there aren't any emissions testing laws where you live, I would not bother with the cat. I took it off my V6 Pontiac Coupe and it sure increased power. It may have had plugged up screens in it though. The car just seemed to breath better after that and it growled really nice with a Thrust Turbo 400 muffler. Had a nice lumpy burble at idle.

· Banned
Cadillac
16,120 Posts
Oh yeah, I heard that also, and I keep forgetting about all the stupid little things in the newer cars. Our old Pontiac is nice 'cause no computer to worry about, only your image. On my '91 Mercury I had, the EGR was plugged or bad so I taped over the check engine light! Hows that for a quick fix!? I drove like that with it flashing on and off for 4 years and no other codes or problems were evident. Mind you, I've heard that your gas mileage might be effected if the emissions devices are not in good tune. Then I also hear about people disconnecting the EGR entirely, so you would think that might screw up something else??? :banghead2

· Banned
Cadillac
16,120 Posts
Also I've read in Car and Driver that on 1996 or newer cars, the check engine light will flash so many times before the computer will actually shut down the engine. I think it said 40 flashes and you are not moving? I don't know if this is all cars, maybe someone else can confirm this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.