Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to say thanks for recommending me to keep my car. I have a 91 Eldorado Touring Coupe/Black. It has 138,000 miles on it but still runs good. What I would like to do is replace the entire exhaust system. I would add 2 cherry bomb mufflers,install a new cat, and put on twin dual exhaust tips. Want to replace the rims and get some crome 17's and tint all the windows. Finally get some new seat covers and service the computer. Now I like the cherry bombs because they are loud but would I be better off running straight pipes with no mufflers. How much of a sound difference would there be between the cherry bombs and no mufflers? I will probably also replace all the audio with sony products.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No nothing really. I have to add some oil every week or so but that is about it and just keep an eye on the fluids. The cat is really the only thing mechanically wrong with it, which will be replaced soon.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
If there aren't any emissions testing laws where you live, I would not bother with the cat. I took it off my V6 Pontiac Coupe and it sure increased power. It may have had plugged up screens in it though. The car just seemed to breath better after that and it growled really nice with a Thrust Turbo 400 muffler. Had a nice lumpy burble at idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I may do that but I ve heard the O2 sensor may not read which could cause problems.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Oh yeah, I heard that also, and I keep forgetting about all the stupid little things in the newer cars. Our old Pontiac is nice 'cause no computer to worry about, only your image. On my '91 Mercury I had, the EGR was plugged or bad so I taped over the check engine light! Hows that for a quick fix!? I drove like that with it flashing on and off for 4 years and no other codes or problems were evident. Mind you, I've heard that your gas mileage might be effected if the emissions devices are not in good tune. Then I also hear about people disconnecting the EGR entirely, so you would think that might screw up something else??? :banghead2

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Also I've read in Car and Driver that on 1996 or newer cars, the check engine light will flash so many times before the computer will actually shut down the engine. I think it said 40 flashes and you are not moving? I don't know if this is all cars, maybe someone else can confirm this.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Jd7-- When you say seat covers, do you mean new leather, or just cheapos to cover the cracked leather???

If you live within driving distance of indiana, I can recommend you to a really nice trim shop.... I am taking the Q in to get the seats redone......

And about taking out the cat... I wouldnt do it, it will mess things up..... maybe you could get the o2 sensors recalibrated to deal with no cat??!

I may also recommend getting the car re-clear coated..... Most of the time the paint isnt bad, but its the clear coat that gives it lustrous color... Maybe another 200 to get that done........

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah, taking off the CAT increases a lot of power, but it also takes away your gas milage. The CAT wouldn't really mess anything up since it's all exhaust anyways. It's just to keep the exhaust gases cleaner. To pass smog you're going to have to have that CAT on there though. If you live in the US, I'd suggest getting a high-flow CAT.

Taking off the muffler also does the same thing, just not as much power. It's also very loud. If you do deside on taking off the muffler, rig up a pipe that goes curves downward so you don't burn up anything. My friend took off his muffler and ended up burning off some odd axle boot. Exhaust gases are extrememly hot.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i took the muffler off my coupe deville, its loud sounds cool, but dont do it, get at least the cherry bombs because the backfire sound isnt that cool. Oh and get a high flow cat, with a high flow cat and the cherrys you'll be loud and leagal, thats always good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just going to get some look a like leather seat covers. I am only 16 so I dont really want to spend the $ on real leather seat covers.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Save your money, and do it right...... Trust me, it will make you happier (besides, you would get to experience the new car smell all over again :) )

Do all your engine work first, then do your apperance improvments later with whatever you have left....... Or maybe you could ask for a little assistance from your parents/granparents/relatives??!!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea thats what a figured. I just ordered the cat convertor and a new ISC from NAPA, once those are installed I am going to change the spark plugs and the wires. I may just end up putting new exhaust tips on and pass on the cherry bombs, maybe I'll add a Flowmaster 40 series to it. It seems that it would be cheaper and easier to install a Flowmaster. Plus they still have a good tone. All what I know is Leather cost a lot, one place wanted over a $1,000 to do it and with a car with that many miles it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked around for leather seat covers online for my car but couldent find none. One site had them for 92- Eldorado, I wonder if those would fit? They wanted like $750 for the entire set, front and back.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
92 eldorado should fit OK........

Are the front seats the only ones that need fixin?? Because I got a quite at a local trim shop for 250 a seat...... that is with real leather and color matched........

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
So basically for 500 you have new seats...... Sounds like a good deal to me!! Better than cheapo covers....... Maybe you could get lucky and find a place where they sell factory leather covers, pre-cut, and in your color, so all you have to do is install them!! It shouldnt be hard, but it would be time consuming!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well today my dad and went out and got a new ISC(Idle Speed Control) unit. The engines rpm's kept starting at around 900 and would gradually drop to 750, but it would take 4-5 minutes for that to happen. If I left at 900rpm's the engine would stall so I would have to wait for it to get to 750 before I left. This not only slowed me down but wasted gas too. So we went to NAPA and got a new one. They had a Japan model for $82 and a American one for $120. We bought the American one and he sold it to us for $91, so it was a good deal. It wasnt to hard taking the old one off, just time consuming, to get all the screws out and the one sensor back in was a pain. Then I fired it up, it started at 900rpm's and quickly, within 5 seconds, droped to 725rpm's. Well thats one thing fixed and about 5 to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts