Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Gentlemen,

These are good days indeed... why? I finally bought myself a Cadillac. Long story short... my mother was in a car accident the other week and while she came out of it okay, her Sebring did not. After a bit of contemplation we decided to give her the wife's 300M to save her from a car payment. Along with this shuffle the wife took my Regal GS which meant I was without a car. I had no idea what I wanted so just took a ride out to the dealer my family has dealt with for years and that we bought the Buick from… and there she was - a Silver on Pewter 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS with only 45,000 miles. She was a one owner car driven by a little old man in Pennsylvania and he obviously cared for the car as much as I will. We took the car overnight to check everything out thoroughly and the only problem I found was that it was not in my driveway! We signed the papers the next day.

She is without a doubt an absolutely beautiful car, dream to drive, fast as hell, and fully optioned with everything (wood trim package, bose, tilt/telescope/memory, rainsense, etc...) minus the sunroof. My grandpop always had a Buick and a Cadillac in the driveway. He always said if you want a good, reliable car you buy a Buick but if you want A car you can only go Cadillac.

I have always been a Mopar man and we still have our '97 Sebring JXi convertible as well as my baby - an '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. The Regal GS was the first GM product I ever owned, it has performed flawlessly in the three years we've owned it and it was that car that sold me on the Seville. While I'm still impressed with the performace of the supercharged 3.8 the Northstar just blows it away. While the Regal is fast you can always feel that it is hustling to be fast and this Cadiilac is just fast.. no hustle, just step on the pedal and you're at 70mph!

I am so very happy to own such a wonderful car as well as to be a member of this great web site!

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Welcome! Glad your mother is doing well. Cars can be replaced!

The telescoping/memory option has got to be one of the BEST comfort features ever. My SLS does not have it, but the next car I buy will for sure. Glad you found your SLS! :thumbsup:

And nice to see you on yet another forum! I recently retired from my Admin role at CSCC, but still post here and there.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Welcome to the board! Sounds like you got a beautiful car. I've always been a GM person, but recently had a few Mopars that we've really enjoyed. Our current Mopar is a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country Touring Signature Series. Beautiful van, loads of equipment, VERY comfortable. It has more of a Cadillac ride than my Cadillac does! Hope to see you here often!

·
Registered
00 ETC 02 Lighting
16 Posts
I know that wonderful feeling!!!!

I just bought my first Cadillac last week. 2000 Eldorado with 43k miles 1 owner who was a Dr. Don't you just love it?

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
FLush the coolant before you do anything else. The 3.8 is arguably the best motor gm ever made, in my opinion. I had a 98 intrigue with over 170,000 miles on the clock when it was totaled, never had a single problem. Just don't expect the same from a northstar.

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
Welcome, you will love your Seville! the responders are correct though, you need to do regular WOT's and make sure to flush the coolant every year. If you do that, you should have many fun years ahead of you (killing ricers) that is!

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
Well Ranger, that's good to know. But I have read tons of threads on here that recommend the flush to save the head gaskets. So who's right and who's wrong?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Well, cooling system neglect is a big cause of head gasket failure. The other is luck, as a few people have experienced it even after doing the proper maintenance. Once a year will probably not do much more good than the recommended once every 5 years. Sooner certainly will not hurt. I would think if you want to error on the safe side, once every 3-4 years would probably be more than adequate.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Congratulations . My wife's present 01 SLS has been one of my favorite cars ever. It has features such as the power seatbelt height adjustment and power telescope steering wheel which were not even available on my 06 SRX or my current 07 Escalade . Enjoy your new ride.

P.s be sure to keep an
eye on the oil level . The N* tends to use more oil than other engines. Not a big problem, just monitor it.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone!

I almost feel like a teenager again... remember back when you got your first car and you would just want to drive it around with no particular place to go just for the sake of driving? I was a bit leery at first just because of some horror stories I've heard, but I feel that with proper maintenance and reasonable driving any car can last for hundreds of thousands of miles.
A few points:

There have been plenty of WOTs - what a beautiful sound! Luckily I'm in a fairly rural area so there are plenty of places to gun it although I've only gotten her up to 102 so far.

I have heard about the oil consumption but it should not be a problem for me as I check the oil and tire pressure on all of my vehicles every Saturday morning. I also don't know about everyone else but I also only use full synthetic oil in all of my cars and I will do the same with the SLS.

As far as the coolant goes it seems that the previous owner followed the recommended maintenance schedule to the "T." The coolant was changed at 30,000 miles in late 2005. The schedule says it's due for another change at 60,000 miles, so wouldn't it make sense to follow the schedule and have it changed in another 15,000 miles?

Also, where does everyone take their Caddy for scheduled maintenance? Do you take it to the dealer or to a private shop? If the latter would anyone have any recommendations for a good Cadillac mechanic in the Southern New Jersey area? And as far as oil changes go, how many of you change your own oil, many take it somewhere? I typically change the oil in all of my cars. How difficult is an oil and filter change on the car? If it's easier for someone else to do it on the Seville does an oil change typically cost more on the Cadillac than does on a "regular" car?

Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement. I appreciate any advice you guys can lend. I will definitely post some pictures once the weather finally breaks!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I do as much of the maintenance myself. If you are mechanically inclined go for the Service Manuals on ebay. They are priceless. I have the oil changed at a dealer because they vacuum and clean the car for me while I wait.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I also do my own maintenance. I don't trust other folks with my vehicles. Too many bad experiences. :(

You may find that synthetic oil will cause increased oil consumption. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. There are a million threads on here regarding oil. Seek and ye shall find. Lots of opinions also. My previous Cadillac had 157k miles when I sold it ('97 SLS). My brother now drives it daily in Arizona. It's only seen true conventional oil its whole life, with oil changes done according to the oil life monitor (usually between 5000 and 7500 miles). The 2000+ engines will go even longer on oil changes. I'm currently using Shell Rotella T 10W-30 in my 2001 STS. It seems to like it. Oil consumption is very low. Maybe half a quart in the first 2500 miles since I changed it. The oil life monitor is also down to 74%, so this one should be close to a 10,000 mile oil change.

What schedule says your coolant is due for another change at 60,000 miles?? The coolant is supposed to be changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles. If it was changed at 30,000 miles, it was WAY too early, mileage-wise. It was probably changed due to age. You should be good for another 3-4 years on the coolant. If you want to change it yearly, it won't hurt anything, but there's no benefit to it either. Same with frequent oil changes (such as every 3000 miles). Just follow the oil life monitor and the maintenance schedule in the back of your owner's manual and you should be good to go for a LONG time.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
If it's easier for someone else to do it on the Seville does an oil change typically cost more on the Cadillac than does on a "regular" car?
Regarding the oil changes, it will be more expensive in your Seville since it uses 7.5 quarts. But everyone always messes that up. They'll put in 5 and call it good. Or they'll put in an even 8, overfilling it. Just do it yourself and you'll save time AND money. Especially if you specify synthetic oil. A shop will probably get you for 100 bucks if you want synthetic oil in it.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You may find that synthetic oil will cause increased oil consumption.
This was true in my case. Synthetic caused increased consumption. Went back to normal oil like the cap calls for and consumption is basically nil now.

As regards to the 7.5 quarts. My dealer I have do the changes has one of those 'digital' oil pumps that counts it. I think most good places have that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts