Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a whole bunch of work done on my 85 SDV, and a couple of things seem to have the mechanic completely flummoxed.

First the hood indicators. The parking light indicators are brilliant (very bright). The high-beam indicators work but are kind of dim. The passenger side low-beam indicator works but is also dim, while the driver side low-beam indicator is so dim that it might as well not work. He says he cleaned all the fiber contacts, so he thinks the fiber is broken or clouded.

Second is the automatic leveling system. It runs way too much. He said he checked the hoses and did not find any leaks, and that the electronics are proper. Still, it always runs whenever I start the engine, and will come on again every few minutes. He tightened the connectors, and it comes on less often, but still too often.

I am tempted to just take it to the nearest dealer but I had to get these same things repaired back in the 90s (I don't remember what the dealer did), and I would prefer this guy know how to fix them. He's a good mechanic specializing in electric and AC, but likes other goofy items like this that nobody else will touch.

Any thoughts on either of these?

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
I wouldnt sweat the indicators too much but you could check where the fiber optic cable is clamped together which is about a foot away from where it goes into the light it indicates. That could be loose or dirty. I'm having the same issue with my taillight indicators.

The air ride lines may be leaking but it's more likely that the air struts themselves are the problem. Have those checked for leaks. Thats not too bad of a fix. Replacement air struts are cheap.

Dont bother taking the car to a dealer. They wont usually touch anything this old.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the fenders need to come off to get to the fiber junction?

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pass along the info. Thanks a lot!

(WTF did they put fiber junction on a 2-foot piece of line...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts