Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1981 superior hearse
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm glad to be back; it's been a few years since I've owned a cadillac. I recently purchased an '81 superior hearse with 104,xxx on the 368-still runs great, shifts smooth, for the most part. However, I do have a few issues/questions...:
After driving about 170 miles, though, it started to surge going uphill, and then would lose all acceleration, but not die. there IS a hissing in the interior(most of the vacuum connections in the dash are jacked), and the hissing stops whenever I lose acceleration. It gets on it fine on short trips, though.... Any suggestions? I'm tracking down possible vacuum leaks as we speak.

Also, the front door panels are in pretty bad shape. Will the front door panels from ANY '81 brougham be a fitting replacement?

Lastly, I HATE the fact that I only have two windows that roll up/down. Would the rear doors from a Brougham match up?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you could offer. I know the 4.9 and the 500, but these 368's are greek to me...
Will post pics soon....

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Hi! I'm glad to be back; it's been a few years since I've owned a cadillac. I recently purchased an '81 superior hearse with 104,xxx on the 368-still runs great, shifts smooth, for the most part. However, I do have a few issues/questions...:
After driving about 170 miles, though, it started to surge going uphill, and then would lose all acceleration, but not die. there IS a hissing in the interior(most of the vacuum connections in the dash are jacked), and the hissing stops whenever I lose acceleration. It gets on it fine on short trips, though.... Any suggestions? I'm tracking down possible vacuum leaks as we speak.

Also, the front door panels are in pretty bad shape. Will the front door panels from ANY '81 brougham be a fitting replacement?

Lastly, I HATE the fact that I only have two windows that roll up/down. Would the rear doors from a Brougham match up?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you could offer. I know the 4.9 and the 500, but these 368's are greek to me...
Will post pics soon....
Nice to know I'm not the only hearse driver here!

Ok, the 368 is an excellent engine and is the same engine family as the 472, 500 and 425. working on one, means you've worked on them all. slight differences are present for different year emission regs, but other than that, you should have no trouble.

the interior door panels are, to my knowledge, proprietary on "Z" code commercial chassis vehicles because of the different sized and shaped doors used on these cars. I recommend having an upholstery shop redo them.

your vacuum troubles are not uncommon for an older vehicle, particularly one where someone before you didn't know what they were doing. the surging and vacuum leaks are most likely all related. don't be surprised if you find split hoses or missing rubber caps from the various vacuum ports on the engine and carburetor.

the read door windows (side doors that is) most likely have winder mechanisms in them. again, not uncommon as the old ambulances and hearse were made on the same line, same chassis, many similar parts. all you may need is the motors/switches or hand cranks, depending.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts