Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 90 Brougham d'Elegance with the 307 today and heres what i think.

First off i've always loved the looks on the 86-92 Broughams. They are an extremely classy looking car. With chrome in all the right places, and the extremely low, long flat profile. This car just screams class. I was happy to see that this car was the d'elegance package (nicer leather seats, etc, etc) Overall I liked the colors (dark brown exterior, tan leather) I love how the interior is set up. Very ostentacious and american. Very very american, chrome and wood everywhere. There must be atleast 10 Cadillac emblems in the car total. I like the digital dash, also very comfortable seats.

So i take it out for a drive, when i started, i just drove it normal, noticing it was a little underpowered but very very quiet. Then i got out on the main road, and i got to about 25, and i nailed the gas.....absolutely nothing, i wasnt even sure if the car was still on. I couldnt hear the 5.0 or feel any push. As i was watching the speedometer in awe 25......26.......27......28, I realized how slow the 307 was. This car was actually probably the slowest car i've ever driven (either this or my friends old '91 corsica 2.2) So i get to a stop and decide to find out what shes got under her hood. Again, absolutely nothing. I floor it from a stop, and i couldnt even break one rear tire loose. It hooked up and left slowly. Then i kept driving her some more, noticing that the steering is EXTREMELY light, and the car actually doesnt handle all that bad. It's vague sure, but it holds the road pretty good. But then i try to merge onto the freeway. I wait for a BIG gap in traffic, so when i got in, i put it to the floor, and i was actually a little scared that i would get rear ended. So i pull off the main road, onto a smaller road, and im just cruising along enjoying the quietness that is the Brougham, the power steering and power brakes go out, so im like WTF!!!! It turns out the car died along the way, and i could not hear it because the car is sooo quiet. So i pull off to the side of the road and start it again, and it dies again repeatedly. So i try again, and it wont run for more than 3 seconds, so i call the dealer back again, he comes out, gets it running again, and takes it back.

Things i like about the 1990 5.0 Brougham d'Elegance
-Classy
- It's huge
-Its one of the best looking Cadillacs ever IMO
-Gorgeous Interior
-Rwd
-Motor is quite reliable from what i've heard
- very comfortable
- king of the road
- "Cadillac of Cadillacs"

Things i dont like about the 1990 5.0 Brougham d'Elegance
- one of the slowest cars made in the '90's
- gas hog and slow
- carburated
- extremely vague steering (but some could view this as a bonus)

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Find a 90-92 with the 350 Chevy Towpackage. I can lay a patch thick enough to catch flies with in my 90. Of course, the next post will be a, "screw the 90-93 350, get an LT-1 Brougham," but hey, to each his own. :cool2:

Brian

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
between the body styles of the 90-92 brougham with the tbi 350, and the 93-96 Fleetwood, I would take the 90-92 obviously, Could u put in a LT1 or an LS1 in a 90-92 Brougham?

D

·
0 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
between the body styles of the 90-92 brougham with the tbi 350, and the 93-96 Fleetwood, I would take the 90-92 obviously, Could u put in a LT1 or an LS1 in a 90-92 Brougham?
The 90-92 models w/350's are the ones to have IMHO. Its a basic small block Chevy, easily modded to levels exceeding an LT1's output. I'm a fan of the LT1 as well, having owned several fbody's with LT1 motors. Buck for buck though, I'd rather have a regular 350 or an L98 like the one I put in my 91 or better still a 350 Vortec which has just as much power as an LT1. The LS1 is probably a better motor but it would take a substantial amount of work and money to install. I'm seriously thinking of installing Vortec heads on my L98 350. It would bring me right around the 300hp mark and then maybe a centrifugal supercharger or even a small roots type (underhood) which would take me to the 400hp range. Decisions, decisions.............. :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
FrankieSixxxgun said:
True story. The 307 is a pig, but the car is hot.
Heh! Just noticed you were in Clearwater. Lived there for many years, in Palm Harbor now. If you hear a real loud tan 91 FWB, its me. :eek:

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Destroyer said:
The 90-92 models w/350's are the ones to have IMHO. Its a basic small block Chevy, easily modded to levels exceeding an LT1's output. I'm a fan of the LT1 as well, having owned several fbody's with LT1 motors. Buck for buck though, I'd rather have a regular 350 or an L98 like the one I put in my 91 or better still a 350 Vortec which has just as much power as an LT1. The LS1 is probably a better motor but it would take a substantial amount of work and money to install. I'm seriously thinking of installing Vortec heads on my L98 350. It would bring me right around the 300hp mark and then maybe a centrifugal supercharger or even a small roots type (underhood) which would take me to the 400hp range. Decisions, decisions.............. :eek:
i didnt know those options were out there. i could have done that to my 93? i like the old boxy Caddies and would like to get one, actually looking for one in decent shape, but would prefer a 93-96. oh and the "Cadillac of Cadillacs" was the name given to the 93 Fleetwoods, not to rain on your parade or nothing. im not arguing about classy or looks or nothing, both are very nice vehicles and i no longer think one looks better than the other like i used to. i like both for different reasons.

·
Registered
1974 fleetwood 75, 1980 sedan deville, 1970 eldo
319 Posts
the 90-92 broughams are beautiful cars. the ones with 350s remind me so much of how cars used to be. Big beautiful and the power to move down the road. Ive had 2 86-89s and hated the lack of power, but loved the cars. One day I hope to get a 90-92 and put a 500 in it. All cadillac once again.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah, i was aware that cadillac used the title "cadillac of cadillacs" for their 93-96 FWB's but i always thought that the Rwd Fleetwoods and Broughams were the "Cadillac of Cadillacs" IMO.

If i ever did trade my 92 Sedan Deville for one of these, it MUST have the 350, unless i buy one after college and make it a "street rod" ---350 LS1 or 500, and other mods, if i did that, i wouldnt care what motor was in it, because i would take it out, and that car wouldnt be a daily driver.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whoa 90brougham350! I noticed u live in stillwater MN, I'm up in Eagan (kinda by st paul) The car i drove today was right off hwy 55 in inver grove heights
Its a small world

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
nah, i was aware that cadillac used the title "cadillac of cadillacs" for their 93-96 FWB's but i always thought that the Rwd Fleetwoods and Broughams were the "Cadillac of Cadillacs" IMO.

If i ever did trade my 92 Sedan Deville for one of these, it MUST have the 350, unless i buy one after college and make it a "street rod" ---350 LS1 or 500, and other mods, if i did that, i wouldnt care what motor was in it, because i would take it out, and that car wouldnt be a daily driver.
oh ok, i thought you might have got some bad info or something. like when people think their box Cadies were larger than the 93-96s. so long as you know i guess. like i said, i dont think of them like that "this one looks better than that one" because they are all beautiful Cadillacs and geared toward class and all that stuff. doesnt matter to me, big RWD cars are just lowrider projects to me.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
Destroyer said:
Heh! Just noticed you were in Clearwater. Lived there for many years, in Palm Harbor now. If you hear a real loud tan 91 FWB, its me. :eek:
No kidding? Well, I'm the cat rolling around in the clean ass white Brougham with the 5% tint. You'll know it's my by the big spade on the front license plate.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
I've got pretty much a whole '65 Chevy 327 sitting in the garage. It's been tempting to put it together and stick it in the Brougham. I just feel dirty sticking a 327 in a Cadillac. I'd rather get an old Caddy engine or a larger Olds engine, just to keep it true.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
It should be against the law to stick a small block in one of those cars unless:
1. The factory did it.
2. The small block is an Olds 403.
3. 2 smallblocks are used together.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Guys? Is the 307 in these cars really this bad? In my 85 Cutlass (slightly lighter, what, maybe 1000 lbs lighter?) it didn't do badly at all. And would grab rubber off the line with lame 2.14's.

Are they just that bad out of tune?

A 403 would be a nice cruiser. 403's were optional on GM RWD cars from Buick and Olds from 77-79. Then the 350 in 1980 was "big" engine, and then 81-85 307 was best gas engine avail. Again, on OLDS and BUICK. Which is the #1 source cars from 403's. ALL 77-78 Toro's had 403's. A lot of 77-79 Trans AM's had 403's.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In my mind, the 307 is just a great boat anchor. It's a perfectly reliable (i think) V8, but it's painfully slow, (140hp, 0-60 in like 12-14 seconds) it doesnt sound too good (aggressive) but it is extremely quiet and fairly smooth. And theres absolutely no aftermarket for this motor.

So all in all, its a pretty good motor for someone who doesnt need/ want a fast car or for someone who doesnt care at all about performance.

On a side note, I have driven a '77 Toronado with the 403...It's a pretty good for a 4600 lb car. I could get rubber off the line. (185hp and like 320 lb/ft) It's pretty close in spec to a TBI 350 they had in the 91-92 broughams, but the broughams are about 400lbs lighter. I imagine that would be pretty powerful.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Eagan huh? I used to work for Dart Trucking, corner of 55 and Lone Oak! Yeah, the 0-60 on the 5.0 Brougham 1990 is 14 seconds. 5.7 = 10 seconds. However, the 350 comes with 3.08, the 307 with 2.4x or 2.5x, can't remember. I've found headers on the internet for our non-LT1 350s that should fit. I've also had an excellent cam recommended. With less than $1000.00, I should expect another 80 ft. lbs and another 80 or so horsepower. This is a lot cheaper than going LT-1 or 4, but then again, I could start building that 383 stroker!

Brian

D

·
0 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
i didnt know those options were out there. i could have done that to my 93? i like the old boxy Caddies and would like to get one, actually looking for one in decent shape, but would prefer a 93-96. oh and the "Cadillac of Cadillacs" was the name given to the 93 Fleetwoods, not to rain on your parade or nothing. im not arguing about classy or looks or nothing, both are very nice vehicles and i no longer think one looks better than the other like i used to. i like both for different reasons.
Yes your 350 TBI in the 93 is the same motor as the 350's in the 91-92's. Mine has a bit more power cause I used a 350 from an 87 Iroc 5.7. I'm not sure what a 91-93 TBI 350 had for horsepower but stock the Iroc motor had 230hp and 320-330lb torque. Either way, the 350 TBI could be heavily modified, I opted to put a carb on mine for simplicity's sake but they make aftermarket intakes and TBI setups which would work well too.

I'm not knocking the 93-up Caddys. Better in many ways, I simply like the older style better.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup yup, i know where dart trucking is, i drive by there everyday when im coming home from school over at Inver Hills

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was kinda funny, after driving this barge of a car, when i got back into my '92 Sedan Deville, it felt like a sports car. Not to say that the Broughams handle bad, but it seems that the front of the car is like 6 feet away from the driver's seat, which is kinda scary when im going thru a curvy road and theres a dodge neon coming at me, and my front end is sweeping into his lane.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts