Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. My harmonic balancer is fine. Nothing wrong with it. A tensioner pulley was the cause of my annoying noise.

But, my crankshaft is bent. I thought that was the same as harmonic balancer, but apparently not.

After some research, the car was in an accident in March. Just like the mechanic suspected. So now we deal with "Autopac" - our provincial insurance provider - to see what exactly happened & if this problem was a result of the accident.

But, the car is noise free. And its nice. And I'm happy. For now.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,854 Posts
The balancer is attached to the snout of the crankshaft. It would have to have been one hell of an accident to bend the crankshaft. Certainly hard to say from here and I don't want to contradict a mechanic that has looked at it, but I find that diagnosis a little hard to swallow.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I'm with Ranger. A hit hard enough to bend the crankshaft snout should have left the harmonic balancer somewhere in the vicinity of the spare tire well.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Even if they used 20 recycled Hyundais and a tig welder to put the car back together, an aluminum engine with a "bent" crankshaft? I'm not there to see it either, but I would think a bent crank should have spun or at least misaligned the crank bearings and be eating the oil output of Dubai on a daily basis. Hey, if it runs good then flog every km you can get out of it but I'd encourage a second opinion before you sink big metric dollars into that problem.

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: My Harmonic Balancer/Chirp Problem Results - Updated

So. After getting a report from our wonderful provincial insurance company, the car was indeed hit on the passenger side front in March.

We will be taking it back to the adjuster to attempt to have insurance fix my problem.

Cause its back.

The noise that will not go away.

Changed serpentine belt. Chirp went away for a week. Then it came back.

Changed tensioner pulley. Chirp went away for 1 day. Then it came back.

Car goes back to garage Friday. If this dude decides it very well might be the harmonic balancer, I want him to give me something in writing to take to insurance as proof of this problem that may very well have been caused by the accident.

Could the harmonic balancer have been replaced after the accident but the bent crankshaft missed? How does someone not see this wobble? And it wobbles enough for ME to know something isn't right. And I really don't know much about anything under the hood of this car.

I can't seem to swallow this bent crankshaft pill. Especially with all the contradicting opinions from you guys. And you guys would know - you have Caddys of your own.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
somebody help me about this 1993 N* sts please reply my number one question is about a valve cover gasket

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,854 Posts
somebody help me about this 1993 N* sts please reply my number one question is about a valve cover gasket
Post a new thread if you have a question rather than hijacking other threads and use the period button so we can understand you.

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Did you change the tensioner spring-loaded arm? I have a 'chirp' in mine. It's the spring..... I may try some cycle chain lube spray into the spring.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,854 Posts
Mountie,
Don't worry about the spring. Lube the fulcrum and work it back and forth to get some lube into it.

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Mountie,
Don't worry about the spring. Lube the fulcrum and work it back and forth to get some lube into it.
Yea, ... I was going to lube anything that moves on the tensioner to stop the "Tweety Bird" .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts