Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to spend some good time in a fleet of 2008 CTSs today, all different levels (FE1, 2 and 3, PFI and DI engines). I hate long posts, so I'll keep it short:

Exterior styling is amazing in person. The rear fender flares look almost cartoonish (in a good way) from the rear 3/4 view. Seriously, it's like a photoshopped picture of a CTS with fender flares. The chrome accents and grill are tasteful, and the panel gaps and fitment are top notch.

Opening and closing the doors, they feel much more solid than before. Not heavier, but there's a real precision to the feel of the hinges and the "whump" you get when closing the door. Interior is stellar, as we've all seen in the pictures. Better room in the backseat by a few inches, and the pop-up nav and 40GB HDD are wicked cool.

Driving it is similar to the current model, but with a more stable feel from the 2in wider track and a slightly smoother ride (probably the Michelins). The steering felt a tad more isolated to me (less road feedback), but wasn't numb. It's a great driving car. Downshifts using the DSC are now accompanied by a nice rev match, as opposed to the lurch forward the current model gives you as the transmission drags the car down in speed. The power felt nice, but I can't really comment on it since my DD is a modded V. Not many cars feel fast to me anymore.

There's a few silly things I didn't like (the red LCD gear indicator and the Ultraview shade), but all in all it's a phenomenal car. An evolution of the current car, improved in almost every way without ruining what made the CTS so great.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts

Very :cool:.

I'm jealous that you were able to get to test drive some of these.

Still waiting for my 08 to be built. Just got an update today, at event code 3400 with a revised TPW of 8/6.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
How did you have more room in tha back? It officially has less leg room in the back and fractions of an inch more head room...

Thanks for the review though! I am happy I caught it in the cts section before it is moved.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
Zymurgy - I've got an '08 on order also. Dealer order paperwork just says estimated build date of the week of August 20th. Where did you get your event code and TPW?

By the way, Like you, I also have a C6. Mag Red. The CTS I ordered will be Crystal Red.

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Thanks for the review..(that CTS V is one bad @SS Ride! congrats)

I'm also a corvette LS6 owner whose just about sold on buying the new AWD CTS 3.6 Di for the family vehicle..

GM's done a hell of a job on this new caddy! AWD makes winter driving for the bride to get out of an SUV the way to go...

GM's really made aa smart move with that and the styling is kick @SS (if the photos do it justice)

Can't wait to see it in person at the local caddy dealer.

Your styling analysis is much appreciated.

2001 ZO6 224/224 114lsa Cam Pkg 415rwhp 380 rwtq, dual comp 921 valvesprings, Halltech Tunnel Ram, Vette Doctors American Brand Racing headers, Vette Doctors Tune ASP 25% Pully, 3.73 Getrag Rear,2004 Z06 shocks,Shaner S2 TB,C6 Z shifter, HUD

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you have more room in tha back? It officially has less leg room in the back and fractions of an inch more head room...
I'm not sure what process they use for measuring rear seat legroom, but the front seats are a lot thinner than the current ones and I had more room in the back while sitting behind an adult than I currently do in a CTS (remember: I ride in the back during test drives every day).

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
For years, I have sat around the house mumbling that there are absolutely no good looking cars today. I am beginning to change my mind with the new CTS.

Solstice and Saturn verts look good, but they do not have the quality/feel of a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Zymurgy - I've got an '08 on order also. Dealer order paperwork just says estimated build date of the week of August 20th. Where did you get your event code and TPW?

By the way, Like you, I also have a C6. Mag Red. The CTS I ordered will be Crystal Red.
I got the event code and TPW from the dealer. They get it from the GM OrderWORKBENCH system. FYI, list of event codes:

STATUS EVENT CODES
1100-Order placed at dealer
1101-Order accepted by GM
2001-Order generated to dealer
2005-Order replaced with GM Prospec order
2050-Order changed
2500-Order sent to production, preferenced
3000-Order accepted by production control
3100-Order available to sequence (now the tpw becomes more stable)
3300-Order selected for production by assembly plant
3400-Order broadcasted for production
3800-Vehicle produced
4150-Vehicle invoiced to dealer
4200-Vehicle shipped
5000-Vehicle delivered to dealer
6000-Vehicle delivered to customer

My C6 is actually Monterey Red Metallic (very similar to Mag Red, but a little darker). The new CTS will be White Diamond (it's for the wife).

:cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
My C6 is actually Monterey Red Metallic (very similar to Mag Red, but a little darker). The new CTS will be White Diamond (it's for the wife).

:cheers:
Interesting - my 2007 C6 Coupe is also Monterey Red...
No signs of any CTSs here near Atlanta, yet.
- Ray

·
Registered
08 CTS, 06 C6 Vette
10 Posts
To all, It seems we all think alike. I am the current owner of a 2003 CTS and love it. No problems at all, save a rwhining differential that was replace early on. I also own a Monterey Red 06 Corvette and absolutely love it. Can't wait for the next model. But more to the subject, I am replacing my 03 with an 08 Crystal Red CTS, 1SB, PDQ (Prem Lux ) package. Dealer has allocation but factory has not picked it up yet. So not know when to expect delivery. Dealer says about 4 weeks from order selected for production to vehicle production and then another 4 weeks for quality checks. So probably 9 weeks or more. Dealer is supposed to have a car for a test drive around the end of August. Is that consistent with what you are hearing?

·
Registered
2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3
164 Posts
To all, It seems we all think alike. I am the current owner of a 2003 CTS and love it. No problems at all, save a rwhining differential that was replace early on. I also own a Monterey Red 06 Corvette and absolutely love it. Can't wait for the next model. But more to the subject, I am replacing my 03 with an 08 Crystal Red CTS, 1SB, PDQ (Prem Lux ) package. Dealer has allocation but factory has not picked it up yet. So not know when to expect delivery. Dealer says about 4 weeks from order selected for production to vehicle production and then another 4 weeks for quality checks. So probably 9 weeks or more. Dealer is supposed to have a car for a test drive around the end of August. Is that consistent with what you are hearing?
When did you place your order? I have not ordered mine yet, but the dealer told me right now it would be 8-12 weeks.

·
Registered
08 CTS, 06 C6 Vette
10 Posts
When did you place your order? I have not ordered mine yet, but the dealer told me right now it would be 8-12 weeks.
I ordered from my dealer on 7/20/2007. They said they had an allocation and they could put my car in as that allocated car. But this week, the factory did not accept the car into the production. Probably some constraint on one of the ordered items. Who knows. Oh well, it will give them more time to iron out the production problems. My dealer says 9 weeks minimum (after production is accepted).

·
Banned
655 Posts
I'm not sure what process they use for measuring rear seat legroom, but the front seats are a lot thinner than the current ones and I had more room in the back while sitting behind an adult than I currently do in a CTS (remember: I ride in the back during test drives every day).
All interior specs should be taken with a large grain of salt. I often notices that the differences when actually sitting in two different cars are way off what the specs suggest they should be. And don't get me started on curb weight and cargo volume--those are tremendously unreliable. I've seen a model get an all-new powertrain, but the official curb weight doesn't change.

If Tony says the new rear seat is roomier, believe him, not the specs.

Tony, thanks for the impressions. I'm a bit disappointed that the steering feel didn't improve. But your impressions are similar to others I've read.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

The Coupe is confirmed.
Hurray on the coupe!!!

and on the leg room: just forget about the numbers in the specs then! Must be the sitting position that has been improved. And if that gives you a more roomier feel, then it's all ok :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts