Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previosusly filled my take 3 days ago and and the level of the fuel in tank the display says I had for example 11 gallons and by the end of my trip it would say I used 2 gallons which takes usually one. So I refilled my take yesterday and reset the fuel data center module the mpg and was set to zero with a full tank the gas used says 3.0 and I would have a full tank for example it says I have 14 gallons and tthe fuel used 5.2 . So idk the next guess I'm going to do is when the fuel used goes to 7 I'm going to refill it I don't want to get stuck with out gas. Then based on what the display says on how many gallons I purchase I should be able to fiqure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I think you need to read the owners manual on how this display works first. Fuel gauges are never accurate, they only approximate remaining amounts of fuel. And please use the spell check feature next time you post. Hard to determine what question is being asked?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok understood basically I was saying is I filled up yesterday a full tank and after driving I don't know how far it said in the fuel data center I used 3.0 gal but on the fuel in tannk it said the tank was still full. I'm asking could my fuel sneding unit be going out. I know sometimes when you start the car it might say in the fuel in tank area that you have move gas than you actually have because the car could not be level or whatever the case maybe but I had a example when I left to my destation I had 11 gallons in the tank and I would get to my destination and it would drop to like 8 and when I arrive it would be 9gallons. The number on the fuel in take it would drop to a number then club back up is this fumes or something is wrong. I'm going to read my service manual, however I'm lost enlighten me

·
Registered
1994 DeVille Concours
22 Posts
Ok understood basically I was saying is I filled up yesterday a full tank and after driving I don't know how far it said in the fuel data center I used 3.0 gal but on the fuel in tannk it said the tank was still full. I'm asking could my fuel sneding unit be going out. I know sometimes when you start the car it might say in the fuel in tank area that you have move gas than you actually have because the car could not be level or whatever the case maybe but I had a example when I left to my destation I had 11 gallons in the tank and I would get to my destination and it would drop to like 8 and when I arrive it would be 9gallons. The number on the fuel in take it would drop to a number then club back up is this fumes or something is wrong. I'm going to read my service manual, however I'm lost enlighten me
I know on my 94 it will say F until there is 18 gallons in the tank. I think on a fill up, I can cram like 21 gallons into it (it might be 22, can't remember off the top of my head), so that is the normal function for it to say F for awhile. The next time you fill up, zero everything out, and once you get to 18, check the fuel used and fill up again and compare what you used to get to 18 to what the fuel data center says you used. It should be almost dead on.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that's what I did last time , I believe my tank is a 16 gallon I'm not sure. However I'm going to reset it and the counter and see what happens. I hope when I fill it up today the number on the gas station gage and the number on the tank equal out to 16 so I can't stop worrying hate to be stuck in the middle of no where

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The only way the pump will read 16 is if you are at the station and out of gas. All gauges are approximate, never dead on. My 84 holds 18 gal. empty and will display F until 2 gallons have been used. Any amount below approx 3 gallons, it will display E when in fact its not.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I filled it up and the numbers added up thanks I guess I was looking to hard car been running good for a while. Just thought it was weird when I looked at it

·
Registered
1994 DeVille Concours
22 Posts
No problem! It took me a little getting used to. I am used to the analog fuel gauges myself... Took a little to get comfortable with the gallons left digital caddy thingy. :) :highfive:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I had my caddy for years it just started acting weird just found out my spark plugs was the problem with my performance and made me pay attention to the gas usage . I thought it was my fuel level sensor but she needs a tune up but I posted another thread on tht

1 - 9 of 9 Posts