Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foray into stripping chrome …. EPIC FAIL

So a quick recap… I got my car with cheaply chromed OEM stockers from Texas… I cleaned them and coated them, and the winter still pitted them in the corners… chrome started peeling and then I was forced to take them off… I thought if I cleaned them enough they would have lasted… and maybe they would have if they were not cheaply chromed… anyways.. water under the bridge.

So what do I do with them now? They don’t hold air and they look like utter garbage. No chrome exchange shops will take them on an exchange. No platers will strip them as they are not interested in one off jobs.

I tried acid stripping with an electric charge and that did loosen the chrome.. but not all of it. The chrome on the spokes was bonded great, and the rest of it fell off…. The only problem with that is the acid eats the base aluminum much faster than the chrome… so once part of it let go, and the chrome on the spokes held. I had to stop as the acid started ebbing away at the aluminum…. Which only left one alternative, the sand blasting tank

Nothing can argue with the sand blaster, but I used it as a last resort as it is very very difficult to just hit the chrome and underlying nickel layers without hitting the ultra soft aluminum underneath…. It was an ok job, but just to test it out I hit it with a high gloss paint and sure enough you could see every pass I made with that sand blaster. AWWW MAN!

So now what do I do with these wheels? I can sand the living daylights out of them and get 98% of all the sand blaster paths worked out, but they will never be 100% perfect.

I bet I would have 20 – 30 hours into each wheel just getting them smooth so they would be in shape to be powder coated or polished… but it just won’t be worth it at that point.

I now know why the experts said just throw them away….. so the whole reason to post this is for the guys with chromed stockers… don’t ever let them peel… and if you do, just throw them away.

BigJim you want to sell me your accessory wheels? The ones you put on and then said you hated them so you took them back off?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Re: My foray into stripping chrome …. EPIC FAIL

Cut your losses and bail on the project. Chalk it up as a learning experience and spring for some accessory wheels.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

Cut your losses and bail on the project. Chalk it up as a learning experience and spring for some accessory wheels.
Agree. The best (and most elaborate) rationalization for new wheels I've ever heard.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

my thoughts exactly... it was a learning experience, I just don't like to lose. Accessory wheels are 2nd on the list if this plan failed. I just thought it would be sweet to have the only polished aluminum stockers on the road.... oh well.

I might spring for the wheeldude offset 19".... those look pretty sexy.. and I must say the timing is right.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts

my thoughts exactly... it was a learning experience, I just don't like to lose. Accessory wheels are 2nd on the list if this plan failed. I just thought it would be sweet to have the only polished aluminum stockers on the road.... oh well.

I might spring for the wheeldude offset 19".... those look pretty sexy.. and I must say the timing is right.
Did the damage encompass your 18" rubber too?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nah the rubber survived just fine :)

Darkman... how is it that you ALWAYS appear offline? that's a neat trick

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yeah every person when they are on the forum has a green light next to their login.. which means they are looking at threads or whatever... yours is always dark...... darkman.... eeerie!

since you have to be logged in to post replies... how is it that you are always "dark" :)

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts

If they held air, you could get something for them. A few people need track rims.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts

I got a set of four brand new aluminum Cadillac accessory wheels for $920 plus $100 to ship them. Not small change, certainly, but relatively a bargain. You might consider a set of those. I just got the TPMS sensors this week which I'll have to install before the wheels are mounted. You don't have to replace the sensors, I hope! Sorry about the wheels. Can you use them for snow tires or for the track?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

they do hold air, but I'll still have to strip the chrome off and finish the bead if I want to sell them. I'd feel guilty selling them if they might not hold air in the future.

920 is a good deal for those accessory wheels... Luke has them for 1300 or 1400 ish. A guy on ebay has them for 1100... where did you find yours new for 920? I might have to get some.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts

nmaier2201 I got your PM and it sounds great. I tried to PM you back but your box is full!

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts

Sandblast then powdercoat. Done.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts

Got the accessory wheels from Midwest Wheel. I bought four through an eBay "buy it now" auction, then bought the fifth (for a spare -- cheaper than a stock rim!) from him directly. The wheels are absolutely new and unused. I will readily purchase from them in the future. I think he has more available. Email [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts