Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 15, I purchased a brand new, 2014 ATS with the 2-liter turbo motor. The car had all-wheel drive, the Premium package and every option box was ticked when the car was ordered by the dealer.

This was my first Cadillac and, based on all of the reviews that I had read, I was excited about this car. I've owned 3 Lexus', 2 BMW M3s and a host of other luxury cars over the years. I was really attracted to the lines of the car and I found the build quality of the interior to be remarkable.

I brought my car into the shop on February 6, complaining of a slight rough idle, a defective windshield (see my other posts) and a flickering nav system. The dealer installed new firmware that was supposed to mitigate the flickering nav system (it did not). They also reported that the technician could not recreate the rough idle, so they couldn't fix it.

On March 13, my car began idling rough all of the time. The next day the rough idle increased and the CEL began blinking. I limped my car home, garaged it for the weekend and had it towed to the dealership on Monday, March 16.

It took them a few days, but after they tore the motor down, the noticed that the #4 piston was cracked, so much so that it broke off the top ring land. The car was going to need another long block. Luckily, my windshield had also arrived (finally) and they were going to do that at the same time.

I left for Miami on March 25. My car was finished the day I returned (March 30) and I picked my car up on March 31. We are talking 18 days out of commission already.

On April 2, the rear crossmember brace fell off as I was turning out of my neighborhood. I was thankfully able to retrieve the part. I took it into the dealership and asked them to tighten the part with tools rather than by hand this time. They were extremely embarrassed, and I was mildly pissed off to say the least.

I was confident that a new motor (which was an updated design according to the service advisor) would have averted any future problems. I was wrong. On April 9, I noticed my car was starting to have a rough idle. It was also spewing carbon out the exhaust and onto the rear decklid, rear quarter panels and bumper cover. Performance was diminished and the car even stalled at a red light. No check engine lights were present.

I brought my car into a different Cadillac dealer this time to have them check it out (and to confirm whether or not I was crazy and just making this stuff up in my head). Two days later I received a call from the service advisor telling me that I had another broken piston and that the car would need a new motor. At this point I called GM Customer Service and began complaining about the build quality of this car. Two motors in 3900 miles, with the second one lasting only 400 miles, is largely unacceptable.

Here it stands at 37 days out of commission and my car is still in the shop. I do not blame the servicing dealer this time. This would not have happened had Cadillac focused as much on engine design as it did the interior and exterior of this car. At this point I've contacted Cadillac customer service and informed them that they can keep this car. I'm not sure how difficult or how long the buyback process will take, but I am finished. The value of the car is now diminished because a future buyer can see that it had a defective windshield and 3 motors within the first 4,000 miles. In addition, the car qualifies as a lemon by the state of Missouri as it has been in the shop for over 30 days during the warranty period. This car has to go.

I really wanted this car to work. I loved the look, the interior, the performance and the handling of the car. I don't love owning a brand new car for 3 months and having it be inoperable for over 1/3 of that time. Cadillac needs to stand behind their products.

I won't be buying a Cadillac again, let alone another GM product. I hate to say it, but this car was a huge letdown.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
5 Posts
1 (ok there are probably a few more) out of 40,000 made had major problems. They all must be bad even the different models or brands.

·
Registered
2013 ATS RWD 2.0T Raven Black
6 Posts
I'm sorry that you have had problems with your ATS.
I have the 2013 ATS Luxury with 2.0t and RWD. I have 13,500 miles on the car now, have always run premium fuel (as is recommended), and have had no problems at all. The car is quiet, smooth, quick, and really, really fast! Don't be so quick to write off the entire line because you got a bad one: you can find identical posts to yours on BMW, Lexus, Mercedes forums, etc.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
263 Posts
Two motors in 3900 miles, with the second one lasting only 400 miles, is largely unacceptable.
That's putting it mildly.

Sorry for your troubles. I posted this last November when I 1st joined the forum:

Seems not many serious issues other than some 2.0 engines puking pistons, and I was only going to get a V6 if I did buy an ATS, so no concern for me.
Well now it's getting to be much more of a concern cause if the ATS gets a rep for having bad engines, wondering if it will probably affect all ATSs. Something along lines of "avoid the ATS due to bad engines" instead of only the 2.0 bearing the bad rep. I think I read on here a few weeks back that some attorney was already trolling for clients, citing ATS issues, including the 2.0 problems. As if ATS resale value needs another hit. :suspense:

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
On January 15, I purchased a brand new, 2014 ATS with the 2-liter turbo motor. The car had all-wheel drive, the Premium package and every option box was ticked when the car was ordered by the dealer.

This was my first Cadillac and, based on all of the reviews that I had read, I was excited about this car. I've owned 3 Lexus', 2 BMW M3s and a host of other luxury cars over the years. I was really attracted to the lines of the car and I found the build quality of the interior to be remarkable.

I brought my car into the shop on February 6, complaining of a slight rough idle, a defective windshield (see my other posts) and a flickering nav system. The dealer installed new firmware that was supposed to mitigate the flickering nav system (it did not). They also reported that the technician could not recreate the rough idle, so they couldn't fix it.

On March 13, my car began idling rough all of the time. The next day the rough idle increased and the CEL began blinking. I limped my car home, garaged it for the weekend and had it towed to the dealership on Monday, March 16.

It took them a few days, but after they tore the motor down, the noticed that the #4 piston was cracked, so much so that it broke off the top ring land. The car was going to need another long block. Luckily, my windshield had also arrived (finally) and they were going to do that at the same time.

I left for Miami on March 25. My car was finished the day I returned (March 30) and I picked my car up on March 31. We are talking 18 days out of commission already.

On April 2, the rear crossmember brace fell off as I was turning out of my neighborhood. I was thankfully able to retrieve the part. I took it into the dealership and asked them to tighten the part with tools rather than by hand this time. They were extremely embarrassed, and I was mildly pissed off to say the least.

I was confident that a new motor (which was an updated design according to the service advisor) would have averted any future problems. I was wrong. On April 9, I noticed my car was starting to have a rough idle. It was also spewing carbon out the exhaust and onto the rear decklid, rear quarter panels and bumper cover. Performance was diminished and the car even stalled at a red light. No check engine lights were present.

I brought my car into a different Cadillac dealer this time to have them check it out (and to confirm whether or not I was crazy and just making this stuff up in my head). Two days later I received a call from the service advisor telling me that I had another broken piston and that the car would need a new motor. At this point I called GM Customer Service and began complaining about the build quality of this car. Two motors in 3900 miles, with the second one lasting only 400 miles, is largely unacceptable.

Here it stands at 37 days out of commission and my car is still in the shop. I do not blame the servicing dealer this time. This would not have happened had Cadillac focused as much on engine design as it did the interior and exterior of this car. At this point I've contacted Cadillac customer service and informed them that they can keep this car. I'm not sure how difficult or how long the buyback process will take, but I am finished. The value of the car is now diminished because a future buyer can see that it had a defective windshield and 3 motors within the first 4,000 miles. In addition, the car qualifies as a lemon by the state of Missouri as it has been in the shop for over 30 days during the warranty period. This car has to go.

I really wanted this car to work. I loved the look, the interior, the performance and the handling of the car. I don't love owning a brand new car for 3 months and having it be inoperable for over 1/3 of that time. Cadillac needs to stand behind their products.

I won't be buying a Cadillac again, let alone another GM product. I hate to say it, but this car was a huge letdown.
Sounds very much like a lemon. Have you considered talking to an attorney?

My ATS has been a poor experience for me as well. I have not needed a new engine (yet?), however I have the constant rough idle problem. The service adviser tells me my 2014 2.0 turbo is SUPPOSED to shake and have a rough idle. He went as far as recommending I keep my foot on the gas and my left foot on the brake when i'm at a stop light! My ATS is a bit over 2 months old and has been back to the dealer at least once a month. Actually, I need to make another appointment as it has developed a rattle during start up.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never accept a consistent rough idle. Would a BMW 328i do this? Would an Audi A4 do this? I don't think so. I have indeed spoken to an attorney. We're seeing what I can get done on my own before he intervenes. I am really disappointed about my experience with Cadillac.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
@fitguy913, I'm sorry your first experience with Cadillac was such a bad one. But please do not dismiss the car or the brand because of it.

I've heard many of the same experiences from my friends BMW's and Audi's. Heck my friends M3 is been in the shop more than he's driven it.
As a matter of fact he just got a new job and decided to get a Civic as a daily driver since he has to drive 37 miles each way to work and because he trust Honda's reliability over his M3. These things happen to all manufactures.

The thing is there are many others super happy with their ATS, than includes me with 33K (2.0T Performance) miles and I've had zero issues with the car. If I go by MY experience I've had 3 Cadillacs and one BMW and I've had nothing but positive experiences with both but for me I've always felt
that the caddy was a far better value. Not only with cost of ownership but I've liked their interiors better (my opinion).
The only down side is re-sale value but that unfortunately has to do with brand perception.

You'll always read about issues with a car (look at all the luxury forums) hardly ever do you read on positive experiences.

I hope you give them another shot. Maybe the amazing ATS-V perhaps? :)

Best of luck.

----------

Never accept a consistent rough idle. Would a BMW 328i do this? Would an Audi A4 do this? I don't think so. I have indeed spoken to an attorney. We're seeing what I can get done on my own before he intervenes. I am really disappointed about my experience with Cadillac.
Actually yes. Especially Audi's reliability.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@fitguy913, I'm sorry your first experience with Cadillac was such a bad one. But please do not dismiss the car or the brand because of it.

I've heard many of the same experiences from my friends BMW's and Audi's. Heck my friends M3 is been in the shop more than he's driven it.
As a matter of fact he just got a new job and decided to get a Civic as a daily driver since he has to drive 37 miles each way to work and because he trust Honda's reliability over his M3. These things happen to all manufactures.

The thing is there are many others super happy with their ATS, than includes me with 33K (2.0T Performance) miles and I've had zero issues with the car. If I got by MY experience I've had 3 Cadillacs and one BMW and I've had nothing but positive experiences with both but for me I've always felt
that the caddy was a far better value. Not only with cost of ownership but I've liked their interiors better (my opinion).
The only down side is re-sale value but that unfortunately has to do with brand perception.

You'll always read about issues with a car (look at all the luxury forums) hardly ever do you read on positive experiences.

I hope you give them another shot. Maybe the amazing ATS-V perhaps? :)

Best of luck.

----------

Actually yes. They especially Audi's.
How can I be confident in a car that has had 3 motors in 3900 miles? The resale value is in the toilet as a result of this showing up on a Carfax. I am not a GM fanboy. I bought the ATS because I wanted the ATS, with that particular motor and the options that I had. I will probably be going back to Lexus after this is over.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
Op, if you like the car when it works, a 3.6 premium swap might be a deal you can work out. Good luck in resolving this.
My ATS has been a poor experience for me as well. I have not needed a new engine (yet?), however I have the constant rough idle problem. The service adviser tells me my 2014 2.0 turbo is SUPPOSED to shake and have a rough idle. He went as far as recommending I keep my foot on the gas and my left foot on the brake when i'm at a stop light! My ATS is a bit over 2 months old and has been back to the dealer at least once a month. Actually, I need to make another appointment as it has developed a rattle during start up.
The real problem appears to be your dealer. Is there any other you can visit that might have an SA with a clue?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Op, if you like the car when it works, a 3.6 premium swap might be a deal you can work out. Good luck in resolving this.

The real problem appears to be your dealer. Is there any other you can visit that might have an SA with a clue?
I don't want the 3.6. That's why I bought the 2.0. This car qualifies under Mo. lemon law.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
How can I be confident in a car that has had 3 motors in 3900 miles? The resale value is in the toilet as a result of this showing up on a Carfax. I am not a GM fanboy. I bought the ATS because I wanted the ATS, with that particular motor and the options that I had. I will probably be going back to Lexus after this is over.
Understood. No argument there. My point was, your experience not necessary a reflection of the brand as a whole.
There are many factors that we don't know for sure that may have contributed to your experience. Bad service department,
saying they fixed something when they didn't (it happens too many times), a bad batch of parts, etc.. I'm not making excuses just making
a point.

As far as Lexus goes, they do have the highest reliability so kudos to them but they are over priced, less performance than competition,
and actually use some cheap interior parts like fake leather on a 40k+ car. Really? Styling is subjective so I won't comment on that.

Consumer reports:
"J.D. Power’s Initial Quality rankings. Mercedes and Porsche have 4/5 ratings, BMW and Audi get just 3/5 and VW only achieves 2/5.
Lexus tops that ranking as well with a 5/5." Kudos.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the Lexus Nu-Lux interior uses a blend of synthetic materials and real leather. My wife's IS350 F-Sport has it and it feels luxurious. I've spent over 140,000 miles behind the wheel of 3 different Lexus models and never had a single mechanical issue. A few dash rattles that got fixed, that was it. Lexus makes a really good car, and until you've owned one, you don't get it. Everything is very tight and well put together.

I am disappointed with this entire experience. It's been serviced at 2 dealerships and there is no excuse for this many failures. The second dealership has been the best by far. The car is still in the shop though and we are at day 37 of aggregate time out of commission. This is unfathomable. While my incident may be looked at as isolated, there are plenty of reports of 2.0T motor failures on the boards. This makes me sad because I really liked the characteristics of the car, just not the trouble.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
Actually the Lexus Nu-Lux interior uses a blend of synthetic materials and real leather. My wife's IS350 F-Sport has it and it feels luxurious. I've spent over 140,000 miles behind the wheel of 3 different Lexus models and never had a single mechanical issue. A few dash rattles that got fixed, that was it. Lexus makes a really good car, and until you've owned one, you don't get it. Everything is very tight and well put together.

I am disappointed with this entire experience. It's been serviced at 2 dealerships and there is no excuse for this many failures. The second dealership has been the best by far. The car is still in the shop though and we are at day 37 of aggregate time out of commission. This is unfathomable. While my incident may be looked at as isolated, there are plenty of reports of 2.0T motor failures on the boards. This makes me sad because I really liked the characteristics of the car, just not the trouble.
As far as the IS350-F perhaps that model has real leather but in the is250 "Lexus's standard NuLuxe vinyl upholstery" does not.

The thing is that I can say same the same thing from my Cadillac experience. My 2008 CTS had 70k miles when I trade it in. I'm on my 3rd Cadillac. Zero issues.

Again, my whole point is your experience not necessary a reflection of the brand as a whole.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

Best of luck! Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
207 Posts
if this qualifies for lemon law then by all means get out of it now that is ridiculous

·
Registered
490 Posts
I agree with you and also can't wait to get rid of my ATS, I am having a hard time selling it because resale sucks and nobody wants the thing when I post it in my local ads. I have had nothing but problems since buying it 2 years ago and probably will never own another cadillac again (first and last). My HID headlights occasionally still do not align when they start up, and Cadillac does not want to work with me in figuring it out. I have had various brands, infiniti, subaru, chrysler, jeep, honda, ford, nissan, vw, and honestly can say this was the worst car experience I have ever had. Definitely not a Cadillac Fanboi here.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
I agree with you and also can't wait to get rid of my ATS, I am having a hard time selling it because resale sucks and nobody wants the thing when I post it in my local ads. I have had nothing but problems since buying it 2 years ago and probably will never own another cadillac again (first and last). My HID headlights occasionally still do not align when they start up, and Cadillac does not want to work with me in figuring it out. I have had various brands, infiniti, subaru, chrysler, jeep, honda, ford, nissan, vw, and honestly can say this was the worst car experience I have ever had. Definitely not a Cadillac Fanboi here.
My last 2 cars have both been GM products. My 2014 ATS 2.0 turbo will be my last GM. Awful car and awful support from the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD
256 Posts
My experience is the car is fantastic when it is working properly but the dealer network and the back from GM is horrific. I've had my car in the shop for a total of 3 months and GM says because it was not the same problem every time they will not take the car back. GM needs to realize if you want to sell a luxury vehicle you need to be ready to play ball. How you treat the guy with the Chevy Cruze is not how you treat the guy who got the 50k+ Cadillac.

I went through 2 months of arguing with GM all they said was for me to pay the penalty to break my lease, come out of pocket for the "dealers loss", and that they will persuade the dealer to give me a "good deal" on a new one. I told my dealership (who is also at fault because of their horrific service department) that I will be bringing back my CTS and ATS at the end of their leases (the same day) and they will never see or hear from me again, but I will obliterate the brand the the dealer on YELP. The dealer now says to give them a few days and they will arrange some deal with Cadillac. (Its been 3 weeks and nothing has come of it, not even them calling me just to keep me posted). Cadillac really will never compete with their practices. Its a shame because the cars that dont have issues are really magnificent, but when they have problems you go through hell because of their shit customer service.

Unless they replace my car for a brand new one it will be my last Cadillac. Someone from Mercedes told me they will match my payments on my ATS for the c300 with the same sticker (49k). Looks very persuading. Also is nice to know that with MB they will treat me and all their customers like kings in order to keep us satisfied. Land Rover must have left me with high expectations of customer service and Cadillac cant come close.

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
GM has continued to struggle with product quality issues since the early 70s. It is sad that even with a huge bailout that they still are having problems.
Resale values for ATS may be in the shitter, but you have to remember that ATS is the "entry-level" Cadillac, and they had to cut several corners to keep the price down, even while the whole company is under tremendous pressure after the bankruptsy and bailout to lower production costs.

"Too big to fail" was probably a very wrong assumption. It will be interesting to see where GM is in another ten years.

----------

Get an attorney and continue pressure under MO Lemon Law. My understanding is there is no requirement for the problem to always be the same. The biggest issues are # of breakdowns and #of days out of service.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
An attorney should NOT be necessary... Cadillac should offer a 100% buy back or a replacement car of equal or better. But, if there is no offer then I would sue their butt for the car and more.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
GM has continued to struggle with product quality issues since the early 70s. It is sad that even with a huge bailout that they still are having problems.
Resale values for ATS may be in the shitter, but you have to remember that ATS is the "entry-level" Cadillac, and they had to cut several corners to keep the price down, even while the whole company is under tremendous pressure after the bankruptsy and bailout to lower production costs.

"Too big to fail" was probably a very wrong assumption. It will be interesting to see where GM is in another ten years.

----------

Get an attorney and continue pressure under MO Lemon Law. My understanding is there is no requirement for the problem to always be the same. The biggest issues are # of breakdowns and #of days out of service.
Just because its an "entry Level" car does not mean the vehicle should have constant problems. Does an entry level 328i shake constantly? If this is the entry into the brand, its a quick way to become the exit from the brand. Call it an "exit level" vehicle. My experience has been less than stellar.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts