Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly a kill story as I seperated this out in another post. Read '01 De Ville vs Lexus ES.

Hope you guys enjoy the photos.

This was our first trip on our Cadillac. It's an '01 base De Ville. We took it for a 1,000+ mile drive to the Central Coast of California. I discovered a few things about my Cadillac. Some obvious and some not so obvious.

One of the most obvious is how great these DeVilles are for long distance touring! It is large and roomy with a huge trunk. So loading it up is very easy with little restriction. The self-leveling rear suspension definitely is a big plus when you've got several large, heavy pieces of luggage in the truck, 3 people inside, and a full tank of gas. Interior room was great! Having so much room inside to stretch out, even move the front seats all the way back without intruding upon the rear occupants is very nice.

The DeVille isn't a great twisty road car so we tried to avoid tight twisties. But on the highway, the smooth ride was sweet. Even on some of the broken freeway surfaces we encountered as we passed through Los Angeles' concrete jungle didn't faze the DeVille. It isolated us from the rough bumps and potholes.

Our DeVille's climate control system is top notch! It was regularly above 90 as we drove through L.A. and our interior temp never wandered from a cool 70 degrees. That plus the smooth ride really made it feel so nice.

Our DeVille has power seats that have a 2 memory settings, plus an exit setting. Since I am the secondary driver of this car (my wife is #1), I found the car always defaulted to Driver Setting #1. So everytime I put the key in the ignition, I needed to tell the Caddy to set to Driver #2. Nothing wrong with that but when you have to do it repeatedly over the course of a day, it get's a bit old. There should be a way to just set to Driver #2 (or #1) and it stays there.

The DeVille lacks some mid range torque. At around 65, there is a bit of a lag after stepping on the gas before the car gets back up to cruising speed of 80. Many times I wanted to accelerate quickly back to cruising speed but I found I needed to give the car a bootfull of throttle to get it to move faster at that speed.

When we first arrived at our hotel.

We spent time at the Central Coast of California, where the coastline is wide open and undeveloped. It was possible to park your car right up near the water.

There was near-unlimited coastal access to watch the sunset. Here, we just pulled off the main highway and there was the beach.

We sat there sipping our favorite brew as we watched the sunset. We were the only ones there and it was in the middle of summer! Nice!

Sunset.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
The memory settings work off of the key fob. If you use fob #1, it will set the seats to #1 memory. Same for fob #2. Do you have two fobs, or just one?

Don

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm....that makes sense. But I'm actually using the key FoB #2 as #1 is all dirty from previous usage.

It still keeps defaulting to Driver Setting #1. This is fine as I don't drive the car daily anymore. It just became a PITA after driving the car all day on a long trip.

Urbanski, I wasn't sure where to put my post. Thank you for moving to the right forum. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts