Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first car this year. It is a 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8 litre Automatic Base Model. It has a black interior with leather seats. The steering wheel has buttons that can be programed to perform certain functions, and there is a volume knob on it as well.

It comes with dual-climate control.

The radio has multiple features, it can measure miles traveled on a trip, gas mileage, check fluid levels, change the units (metric, American), etc.

The car has a manual shift gate and a Sport mode (which i'm grateful for). The engine is very sluggish in normal drive "D", but it is surprisingly peppy and responsive in Sport mode. The engine is quiet and silky smooth, and with the right foot can glide like it's on air. However, the downshifts are rough when downshifting in manual mode. The car keeps slowing down (like i'm braking) everytime I downshift, so I would not recommend using the manual shift feature in stop-and-go traffic!

The doors automatically lock when put into drive, and unlock when put into park. The car's alarm can be armed by pressing the door lock button once which will cause the car to chime three times, the car will automatically lock after a few minutes when the doors are closed. The alarm can be disarmed by holding down the door lock button and instantly locking the doors.

The rearview mirror is auto-dimming and has a passenger airbag indicator.

The windshield sprayers are currently clogged. One of the rear doors will not unlock by pressing the button so it must be unlocked manually. The radio's volume knob is glitchy, sometimes it will not respond and sometimes it will only turn the volume up. I just use the steering wheel's volume knob instead. The seatbelts are twisted and the rear seatbelts don't even buckle. The airbags need to be serviced. Also I suspect the power booster went out because I have to press the brake pedal to the floor even though my brake pads are still good.

Also, this thing averages 13 mpg city even though I drive conservatively in normal drive "D".

I gave the car the name "Kelpie" (water horse) because of the seatbelts and airbags.

20190909_134034.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
Welcome to CF! Kelpie is also the name of an Australian working sheep dog.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
654 Posts
You’re getting just 13 mpg with that tiny engine? Is there anything you like about the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car does 0-60 in 9 seconds in Sport mode. MYSTERY SOLVED!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
Welcome!

So this is your first ever car? Nice wheels. The first gen CTS was fairly sporty, but I have to say, that kind of mpg is very poor for city driving. My 2005 Deville with the Northstar V8 gets about 17 mpg city, and that's with pretty mixed driving (plus the occasional full throttle for maintenance purposes only, of course lol). The 2.8 does have a little pep, but the 3.6 High Feature V6 is the one that really provides the thrust.

Btw, what led you into a Cadillac, and specifically, a first gen CTS?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!

So this is your first ever car? Nice wheels. The first gen CTS was fairly sporty, but I have to say, that kind of mpg is very poor for city driving. My 2005 Deville with the Northstar V8 gets about 17 mpg city, and that's with pretty mixed driving (plus the occasional full throttle for maintenance purposes only, of course lol). The 2.8 does have a little pep, but the 3.6 High Feature V6 is the one that really provides the thrust.

Btw, what led you into a Cadillac, and specifically, a first gen CTS?
Yep, I think it may have a bad oxygen sensor or bad fuel injectors that are causing it to get poor gas mileage. The tires are at the proper pressure currently.

I actually didn´t really know anything about Cadillacs before I got the car. All I knew was that I loved the old Eldorados because I saw the movie ¨Highwaymen¨ where an old green Eldorado rampages on the streets. Ever since I saw the movie I became really interested in knowing more about the car.

The CTS was actually chosen for me by my parents. It´s a really nice car that runs well. The only real problems it has is that it´s sluggish and is a gas guzzler.

At first I got a text where I had to choose between to CTS.

I chose the gray one, and my cousin got the blue one.

I was disappointed to find out that I got the trim with an under-powered engine, but I love the rims that mine came with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
You’re getting just 13 mpg with that tiny engine? Is there anything you like about the car?
Yep, it may have bad oxygen sensors or bad fuel injectors because the tires are at the proper pressure. I love the black interior and leather seats, definitely a step up from an old Camry or Accord. Plus, the Driver Information Center feature on the radio is a really neat feature. I also like that the car has a Sport mode and manual shift gate. The best part is that the A/C still blows ICE-COLD!:cool::cool::cool:❄☃

Welcome to CF! Kelpie is also the name of an Australian working sheep dog.
Yeah, it was scary getting the 0-60 time because the airbags need to be serviced, so they may not inflate, and the seatbelts are twisted. So, the name Kelpie definitely rang true when I was getting it. I was really nervous about the possibility of crashing. Luckily, I got the time without incident.

0-60 time: 9.5 seconds (approximately)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
0-60 video
Nice video. Yeah, once that thing hits 35ish mph, it totally drops off and crawls its way to 60. I'd take it in and get those injectors looked at, really a thorough once-over if you haven't yet. Also, if it were an oxygen sensor, you'd have a check engine light. If you don't have the light, it's not the O2 sensors. If you do have the light, get her scanned.

What made your parents/relatives buy you two a CTS for a first car? As an Eldorado man, I'm surprised you didn't go that route. Certainly less sporty, but extremely comfortable on the highway, and very safe. Either way, both are great cars!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice video. Yeah, once that thing hits 35ish mph, it totally drops off and crawls its way to 60. I'd take it in and get those injectors looked at, really a thorough once-over if you haven't yet. Also, if it were an oxygen sensor, you'd have a check engine light. If you don't have the light, it's not the O2 sensors. If you do have the light, get her scanned.

What made your parents/relatives buy you two a CTS for a first car? As an Eldorado man, I'm surprised you didn't go that route. Certainly less sporty, but extremely comfortable on the highway, and very safe. Either way, both are great cars!
It's no doubt the fuel injectors. The check engine light is off. My parents wanted me to have a nice car to "compete" with at school. There is some kid with a black 1957 Chevy pickup that's lowered. It's very loud, it sounds like a bomb going off. He might of straight piped it.

The CTS was chosen because there are a lot of YouTube videos of people fixing up old CTS' and everyone wants one. I can see why because the first gen CTS has very edgy curves and was part of Cadillac's renaissance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: The car was given the ¨Italian Tune-Up¨ running Chevron gas, and Chevron Fuel System Cleaner. Also it was given a second treatment with Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner. The car now averages 16 mpg city, and feels a lot more zippy especially in Drive ¨D¨.

I also just ordered a K&N Filter, and will make a video on it.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
My 2.8 with a K&N FIlter.
Just to add something, if battery was pulled or you reset mpg science you purchased car. It takes a few hundred miles for the mpg to average back out.
But i do believe when i reset ours you get higher mpg in till it sees how you drive.

We get a average 19.1 mpg in winter in our 09 cts4 3.6l. I worm up car for 15 minutes a day for my wife, she drives 20 miles on highway at 75mpg and about 5 miles city driving a day.
If you have awd you should get less gas mileage also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wooo! I just traded in my 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8 for a 2010 Cadillac STS V8! It runs well and has STRONG HYPER performance, I mean my CTS was OKAY, but the STS with the V8 is like RAWR GET OUTTA MY WAY FOOL! Not only that, but the STS V8 runs well, and has no problems with it. Plus I love to bomp my favorite songs in it. I will make a post on it soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts