Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine on my 1991 Coupe de Ville blew up today on the interstate highway. I had a leaking radiator and would fill it with water every morning. Well this morning I was filing it and got interrupted with a phone call. After the phone call I went back outside to the driveway and shut the hood. Oooops, never screwed the radiator cap back on. Needless to say all the water flowed out as I was driving.

Another tid bit... these cars do not have gages on them, just idiot lights. Who ever had that idea was an idiot. You can't see the range of engine temp, just a light comes on after it overheats. My car has 2 idiot lights: high coolant temp AND engine temp. And neither one of them illuminated!!! So driving at 75mph with no water on the interstate the car started acting weird, loss of power, followed by white smoke billowing out from under the hood. It was so hot that all the plastic components under the hood were melted. The engine was fried. Got $700 scrap metal for the car. I used it for 5 years and only paid $3,000 for it so I got my moneys worth I guess.

Please GM stop with the idiot lights!!!

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 2005 Escalade Ext
175 Posts
Buuuut it was your fault..... Not GM. Souldve got the radiator fixed or used a cheap temporary fix like radiator sealer. Its already bad enough the new cars are over computerized if its up to you they sould have a " you forgot to cap radiator" light. Cant forget major things like this with these old gems.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The coolant temp warning light comes on when the coolant is too hot. Key word being coolant. No coolant in the system - nothing for the coolant temp sensor to read. A gauge wouldn't have helped.

Engine failure in a 24 year old car running only water in the cooling system with no radiator cap = operator failure.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
So, I guess you decided to let us know of your situation so other people know you shouldn't be stupid with the things you do to your vehicle?!?

You avoided replacing a $100 part, did not double check your work (under the hood, before leaving), then jumped on the interstate, and even when your car started acting weird you still did not pull over to see what's going on?!? But, I guess the fault was in those engineers that decided to keep the dash free of clutter and did not put a coolant temp. gauge.

And, you didn't have to refill the radiator directly; you could have been filing up the recovery tank (nothing would've happened if you didn't put that cap on). BUT, anyway, the damage is done already.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,439 Posts
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - The OP has been a CF member for 4 years - one would think something from all these maintenance/repair threads would sink in. :banghead:

This one's squarely in your lap, john.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
The coolant temp warning light comes on when the coolant is too hot. Key word being coolant. No coolant in the system - nothing for the coolant temp sensor to read. A gauge wouldn't have helped.

Engine failure in a 24 year old car running only water in the cooling system with no radiator cap = operator failure.
With or without coolant, the hot light is turned on by the engine metal temp switch - not the coolant temp sensor... There should have been warning!

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
.... no comment. Anytime I've ever had a car that looses coolant that fast I don't drive it. The temp light will come on with enough warning to pull the car over with no damage.
OK almost no comment.

On the plus side that was a great price for scrap tho, the current rate is about a 1/3 of that.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
That's impressive. Max now seems to be $350 if the cats are still on it and if it has aluminum wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts