Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
none
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought the 08 CTS a month ago, 60,000 miles and the timing chain was changed before I picked the car up.

Took 2 six hour drives this week and everything was fine.

Went for a hour drive today and I gassed on it getting onto the highway, thought I had heard what sounded like piston slap. Stopped to eat and everything seemed fine. Back onto the highway and the noise came back but louder, more of a wrist pin noise, didnt seem deep enough for a main bearing or rod, didnt seem tinny enough for a rocker (if they still use rockers)
Then all the sudden while going up a hill it got real loud, started pulling over and the engine died, coasted onto a service road and smoke started to fill the passenger compartment.
Opened the hood and there were flames on the passenger side of the engine, threw some snow on it and called for a tow.
When the tow truck dropped my car off at a dealer there was oil all over his bed.

Cant wait to see how good this warranty works.

Wish me luck!

PS the oil was less the 1000 miles old.

Duke

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
It does not sound good. Let us know the outcome and good luck with warranty!

·
Registered
2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood
142 Posts
Probably the original owner went by the "oil minder" on the dash for oil changes....left it in for 15k or so at a time....i don't know why anybody would have bought into that....it never made sense to me....sorry about your car....it's probably going to be at the dealer's for a while. hopefully they get you a brand new engine...although there's probably plenty of good ones at the junkyard....

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI. everything but nav.current mileage 11800 km.
84 Posts
sorry for your misfortune....was your cts. purchased from a gm dealer ? i work for gm ....send me via. pm your vin. # and i'll check your cars history tonight .

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Hopefully your dealer gives you a nice courtesy vehicle to drive! Had my car in this week and I got to drive a new 2011 STS for 3 days.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,331 Posts
Sounds like oil starvation (low oil level, oil pump failure); good luck with the diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
none
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had it towed to a Cadillac dealer in Janesville Wis. they were just about to close and extremely nice. My daughter had already drove there to pick us up, I didnt know they would offer me a car to drive.
I just got off the phone with them. He said there are 2 holes in the block and he was holding a rod end in his hand. Couple wiring harnesses have to be changed due to the fire and a steering boot.

He said they have to determine if it was a catastrophic failure of due to workmanship, neither of which would be my problem.

I'll keep you updated, thanks

Duke

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Typically, if your car is still in warranty, (manufacturers regular or CPO warranty,probably not the case for the powertrain only warranty), they will provide a courtesy or rental car paid for by GM!

·
Registered
none
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called them back this afternoon and they assured me they are installing a brand new engine, its already on the way from GM.

Duke

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
671 Posts
That's good news........except for the rest of us that now have to wonder when this will happen to us.

·
Registered
2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood
142 Posts
my guess is that if we change the oil like dad taught us to, rather than wait for the computer to tell us i think the engine will just keep going.....i think GM got too clever letting people keep the oil in for over 10k or more....oil is pretty much black after 2000 miles.........i leave it in till 5k using synthetic, 3k with regular ( on my other cars.) i've got a 95 blazer with 165k on it and a 93 lincoln ( with super long timing chains 4.6) and it just turned 170k....no engine trouble on either....

·
Registered
none
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Talked to the dealer today, new engine will be there on Thursday, if they hurry they may have it done on Friday, I told them to take their time and ill plan on picking it up sometime next week.
Duke

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
fyi, the computer had me change the oil at about 7500 miles, and I am almost ALL highway. no way the computer is going to get you out to 10k, much less 15k.

and fyi 2, porsches go about 12k between changes. not changing the oil did not cause the engine to blow.

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC
89 Posts
fyi, the computer had me change the oil at about 7500 miles, and I am almost ALL highway. no way the computer is going to get you out to 10k, much less 15k.

and fyi 2, porsches go about 12k between changes. not changing the oil did not cause the engine to blow.
Just before the Customer Satisfaction Program oil life adjustment and sensor re-program was done on my CTS4 it was at 52% oil life at 6K miles. This is with 5 days of highway driving and 2 days of suburban driving a week.
On cars with synthetic oil I typically change it at 5K - 7K miles, or one year, or oil life recommendation, whichever comes first.
But I agree I doubt the oil change frequency caused the engine to blow.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't know about modern engines, but I have seen older engines dissected after seizing up. It was due to the oil never being changed. That is what happens, they don't blow.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
I agree, luck of lubrication would seize engines. This looks more like a catastrophic failure, most likely due to manufacturing error...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts