Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been neglecting a couple things on my ETC for a lil while since I haven't had the cash to deal with them until lately. FPR, tensioner, rear brake pads, and tires are all due for replacement. As I was waiting for week-before-last's paycheck, my ETC decided it'd had enough of my crap and it went into a very bad mood. :(

Thursday I went to start it and it didn't have the energy to crank. Got a jump, figured it was all good and went home. The car must've been in a better mood on Friday since it started and ran great. Saturday, nothing. Not even enough voltage for the door chime. Sunday rolls around and it cranks and starts without a jump. That day the battery tested good at Vatozone. Ever since then it's been between almost no voltage, and almost enough to crank. Today when I tried a lil troubleshooting the battery was at 10.5 with the key off, with the key on it dropped several volts. So I started pulling fuses, something on either Ignition 1 or 3 is apparently pulling a pretty big drain on the battery, don't know what yet.

So anyway I decide to see if it will start with a jump. Hook up the cables, crank.... BAM! I see a nice fireball jet out from the engine. Turns out it came from the intake manifold's pressure release valve, so now I have to figure out how to fix that, AND the stupid electrical problem.

Yeah, the Eldo is winning this fight so far. Just felt like ranting, and seeing if anyone had any obvious ideas as to what on those circuits might cause a drain (hell, what exactly IS on those circuits?) or as to why it went boom. Leaky injector?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Fireball out of the relief valve would indicate a leaky FPR. As for the starting proble, I'd suspect a failing battery and/or cables.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
That's terrible. Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it and it won't be pricey.

During the summer, on a hot day if I didn't crank it all the way, it backfired. That may be totally unrelated, but that's all I got in terms of experience with fire and the Eldo.

Good luck with that.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to buy a new battery tomorrow. I doubt it's the problem, but the old one was a bit weak to start with so this will just be some peace of mind there. There seems to be a definate strong current draw with the key on, without cranking.

As far as the pressure release goes, it appears to be stuck open... Gonna be fun pulling the manifold if it really is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts