Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:
Chicago weather is crazy! It rained yesterday, and snowed today!

What can i do to keep my doors from freezing during the cold winter months?

It really isn't due to the moisture in the seals. I have trouble specifically with the door latching, and locking mechanisms.

I could just carry a blow-torch with me when i go out, but it's just not practical...right?
So what can i do?

'92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
4.9 ltr V-8
(frozen doors)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I would think that the push button latches wouldnt like the snow!!!! I thought I was gonna break something this morning when I opened my door and all I heard was a CRUNCH..... Just ice though!!!!

The only thing i could suggest to you is maybe put something over the door handle, like a plastic baggie or something..... You can use masking tape to hold it on, it wont hurt the paint......

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fit is just the keyhole thats giving you a frozen problem,..a cigarette lighter can be used to slightly warm the key and it will slide right in. I live in SC and yes we do get cold weather but not like the windy city,..If I lived up there I would definitly get me a remote starter and keep the heat on so when she fires up she warms. If you use the keywarm trick be very careful not to overheat and damage the chip in the key. I would also look to see if there were any deicers like some type of aresol spray that could be used that would not be harmful to paint or the lock mechanisms. HTH

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Well, where I am it was -20 F last night!! You think you are cold!? After a carwash I have to make sure I wipe all my weatherstripping or I cannot open the doors on my other cars! As for the locking mechanisms, can you still buy a product called Loc-De-Icer? You spray it into the keyhole. There are other devices that are on a keychain that heat up the lock hole so it can be turned. A blow torch might damage your paint. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey, me too!! The locking mechanizim on my driver door, gets stuck in the open position, when i open the door in this type of weather (ie: THIS morning! wind chill 7 degrees in Chicago here). I have a remote start, and it warmed up for about 7 minutes before I got in. The car was not warm enough to get the door shut until I had traveled about 15 minutes more! No idea, cause it is not the keyhole, it is the mechanisim that actually holds the hold closed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same exact thing here, must be this illinois weather.... BAH! No idea how to prevent it, maybe putting some form of a shield around the mechanism, I'll look into it.
D.

·
Registered
520 Posts
HippieD9 said:
Same exact thing here, must be this illinois weather.... BAH! No idea how to prevent it, maybe putting some form of a shield around the mechanism, I'll look into it.
D.
You may want to try lithium grease. Get the spray can variety and use the little tube to get inside the lock housing. It displaces water, and lasts for quite a while. Just be careful not to get it all over everything becuase it's a mess if you rub against and get it on your clothes. Wives tend to freak when they see it on their favorite outfit.
It's good for your door hinges up inside the fender too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is a locksmith's input.

Our friend is WD-40 ....

Lithium grease attracts dust and grime and gets abrasive - graphit type lock lubricants pile and sludge up.

WD-40 flushes out crud, and displaces water, then leaves a dry lubricant film on metal parts.

Use the small plastic "pipe" nozzle that comes with the WD-40, push it through the little key-door cover. Give a small burst, then insert the key and work the mechanism. repeat 2 or 3 times.

As far as door mouldings, a good wipe down with Armour-All, or other dressing, will keep the ice from bonding to the weatherstripping....

We get the same problem up here in Alberta Canada......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts