Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Same story, different day. I have a new '07 CTS - 3.6 Liter with 1500 miles on it. I have the car 4 months. I noticed some stains in the driveway, but I wasn't 100% sure it was from my car - I share my driveway with my neighbor. But I was suspicious. Today, I pulled into the driveway, then I moved the car up and I saw a fresh puddle of oil coming from the back of the car - probably a leaking pinion seal. That's disaappointing. The car runs great otherwise and I'm very happy with the car.
Anyway, I called Cadillac service and they were sympathetic to the problem and set up an appointment to bring the car in. They said this is a very common problem with the CTS. They will give me a loaner car, so I won't be stranded without a car. They said it will probably be fixed in 1 day, not a big job according to them. They will give me a free grease and oil change while the car is in for service.

This is now the 5th year of the CTS. You would think they would have corrected this problem by now. And it's obvious that this is a defect right out of the factory - I mean the car has 1,500 miles on it.

I read a few weeks back that someone else with a new '07 had the same problem with about 1,000 miles on it.

I just hope that this is not a recurring problem. I have the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, but still, I want a reliable car.

My appointment is for this Wednesday, so I will check back and let you know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Same story, different day. I have a new '07 CTS - 3.6 Liter with 1500 miles on it. I have the car 4 months. I noticed some stains in the driveway, but I wasn't 100% sure it was from my car - I share my driveway with my neighbor. But I was suspicious. Today, I pulled into the driveway, then I moved the car up and I saw a fresh puddle of oil coming from the back of the car - probably a leaking pinion seal. That's disaappointing. The car runs great otherwise and I'm very happy with the car.
Anyway, I called Cadillac service and they were sympathetic to the problem and set up an appointment to bring the car in. They said this is a very common problem with the CTS. They will give me a loaner car, so I won't be stranded without a car. They said it will probably be fixed in 1 day, not a big job according to them. They will give me a free grease and oil change while the car is in for service.

This is now the 5th year of the CTS. You would think they would have corrected this problem by now. And it's obvious that this is a defect right out of the factory - I mean the car has 1,500 miles on it.

I read a few weeks back that someone else with a new '07 had the same problem with about 1,000 miles on it.

I just hope that this is not a recurring problem. I have the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, but still, I want a reliable car.

My appointment is for this Wednesday, so I will check back and let you know how everything turns out.
Cadillac service departments have had to learn to be very sympathetic with disgruntled CTS owners over the past five years or so.

Just pray that you are among the lucky owners who have no further problems, because the basic flaw remains & will remain unless the NHTS investigation currently underway results in GM being directed to come up with a real solution to the problem & issue a recall. Don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cadillac service departments have had to learn to be very sympathetic with disgruntled CTS owners over the past five years or so.

Just pray that you are among the lucky owners who have no further problems, because the basic flaw remains & will remain unless the NHTS investigation currently underway results in GM being directed to come up with a real solution to the problem & issue a recall. Don't hold your breath.
Personally, it doesn't affect me whether there's a recall or not. I'm under warranty for the next 5 years. However, they should know what's causing the problem so it doesn't recur. I would assume by now that they know what's causing the problem and correct it rather than just changing the seal. What would that accomplish if they don't correct the cause of the seal breaking?

As long as they fix the problem, I'm okay with the situation. It's a great car and I'm really enjoying it. If I didn't see the oil, I wouldn't even know that there's something wrong with the car.
As I said, I have a 5 year warranty and I'm getting a loaner car, so there's really no inconvenience on my part.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Personally, it doesn't affect me whether there's a recall or not. I'm under warranty for the next 5 years. However, they should know what's causing the problem so it doesn't recur. I would assume by now that they know what's causing the problem and correct it rather than just changing the seal. What would that accomplish if they don't correct the cause of the seal breaking?

As long as they fix the problem, I'm okay with the situation. It's a great car and I'm really enjoying it. If I didn't see the oil, I wouldn't even know that there's something wrong with the car.
As I said, I have a 5 year warranty and I'm getting a loaner car, so there's really no inconvenience on my part.
Yeah...that's now - inconvenience may come into play around the fourth or fifth, or (name your number) visit for the same problem (if you're unlucky). GM has extended my differential warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles because of the issues I've had. I do consider it an inconvenience, a pain in the keester, each time I have to bring it in.

Mine has never leaked - only seized or developed excessive slop and noise. Once they start moaning, it only gets worse.

Differential aside, I agree, it's one of the best GM offerings ever. Still kinda partial to an old '57 Chevy I used to own. :)

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Yeah...that's now - inconvenience may come into play around the fourth or fifth, or...visit for the same problem (if you're unlucky). GM has extended my differential warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles because of the issues I've had. I do consider it an inconvenience, a pain in the keester, each time I have to bring it in.

Mine has never leaked - only seized or developed excessive slop and noise. Once they start moaning, it only gets worse.

Differential aside, I agree, it's one of the best GM offerings ever. Still kinda partial to an old '57 Chevy I used to own. :)
How'd you get them to do that?

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
How'd you get them to do that?
I went head to head with customer relations at GM HQ after the second one seized on the interstate about five miles from the dealer who had just installed it. We went round and round for awhile & they ending up offering the 10yr/100k deal. I took it & received the addendum in writing.

In retrospect, I should have declined & went lemon law.

Again, differential aside, we consider it head & shoulders above anything American manufacturers had done for many a year

D

·
0 Posts
When do these usually go out if they are going to? I just hit 60,000 on my 03 and I often check out the differential because I am always paranoid about this part going out. I noticed is was greasy which I wiped away but some mechanics told me this is normal, I have never heard it leak or I never heard the strong sound everyone talks about. I just took it on a 9 hr trip yesterday and it seemed ok as well.

Back to the original question though, when did yours go? it seems like they usually go early and if nothing happens, I guess the car wasnt built on a friday or monday..lol

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
When do these usually go out if they are going to? I just hit 60,000 on my 03 and I often check out the differential because I am always paranoid about this part going out. I noticed is was greasy which I wiped away but some mechanics told me this is normal, I have never heard it leak or I never heard the strong sound everyone talks about. I just took it on a 9 hr trip yesterday and it seemed ok as well.

Back to the original question though, when did yours go? it seems like they usually go early and if nothing happens, I guess the car wasnt built on a friday or monday..lol
If you're at 60k with no problems, I'd say that you're not likely to have future problems.

We first had ours replaced at about 18k because of noise. As mentioned earlier, the second one seized. The following three have all began moaning/howling within 5k - accompanied with clunking/slop back there. Probably should have hung in there with the first one - it was the quietest of the bunch, aside from the unit that seized.

D

·
0 Posts
Man I feel for you...thats aweful...

Im weird about cars, if something really bad goes wrong i usually dump it as a trade in....

I wonder why yours keeps on having the same problem...

Also, this noise you speak of, is it very noticeable, like you cant miss it that something is wrong because i dont want to start hearing things and thinking my rear diff is going....

Again that is aweful, sorry to hear this...

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Man I feel for you...thats aweful...

Im weird about cars, if something really bad goes wrong i usually dump it as a trade in....

I wonder why yours keeps on having the same problem...

Also, this noise you speak of, is it very noticeable, like you cant miss it that something is wrong because i dont want to start hearing things and thinking my rear diff is going....

Again that is aweful, sorry to hear this...
You can't miss the noise - it is most noticeable at 35/40mph after the car has warmed up, under light throttle/trailing throttle. Best described as a moaning coming from the rear. It gets loud enough that passengers ask what is causing the weird/eerie sound. Flat out embarrassing!

At highways speeds it either doesn't exist or is masked by other road noise.

Ah, it's a standby & we're planning to dump it shortly, most likely for a crossover.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So we really don't have the same problem at all. My differential makes no noise at all and the car rides great. As I said, if I didn't notice a small leak around the size of a silver dollar in the driveway, I wouldn't even know there's anything wrong with the car. I believe my problem is just the pinion seal and once that's repaired, everything should be okay. I just hope they can correct the cause of the seal leaking, not just replace the seal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

There's different problems with the differential. One of the problems is just a leak, the other is the differential moaning, siezing up, etc.

My problem is just a minor leak and that occurred when the car hit 1,500 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts