Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im not sure if I have a bad ignition switch or what but here are my problems.

92 sedan deville.
When I switch ignition from on to off the retained accessory relay for some reason momentarily switches the power to my radio off & back on. So it has to shut off, put the power antenna down & reread the disk before the sound starts back.

In my dads Seville there isnt a problem with this. His aftermarket radio stays on. His is a pioneer, mine is a kenwood.

I put in new relays, both of them for RAP.

This really annoys me too... In my deville if im listening to the radio after i shut the ignition off(rap) and try to turn on the dome light to change the CD or something then it shuts off the radio. Radio shop told me that thats how its wired into the door, through the dome light. I think there must be some kind of diode or something thats messed up because...

in my dads seville the radio will stay on untill I open the door, regardless of whether I turn the dome light on or not.

So whats going on here?

Radio shutting off and back on when i switch ignition to off
and Car loosing Retained Accessory Power when i turn on the dome light.

Please help me because I bought this car for my Mom & Step dad and i want to to be like a real cadillac when they get it. Its going to hopefully replace their '05 Focus. But I know they'll be real critical so its got to be just right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, well since noone seems to know... ~92 deville owners, after you shut the ignition off does your radio turn off when you turn on the dome light? Or is it only when you open the door. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack
49 Posts
Rap? As in rap (music)? Could be your car has good taste and is trying to give you a gentle hint....

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
That shouldnt be , its wired wrong.
Run the power line to some other source.....even if its direct to the battery with a fuse at the end...it shouldnt do that.
The installer is full of shit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well I wired the radio myself, and I know for a fact its wired correctly. not only did I follow the instructions on my adapter harness to the T. But also I went to our local library and they have mitchell on demand. I printed out the wiring schematics on this car and know that its wired to the proper wires. Im just wondering why it switches off and then back on when it should stay on continously. and whats up with the dome lights turning the (RAP - Retained Accessory Power) off, instead of the door. The door turns it off too, but thats because it turns the dome lights on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bummer then, I got the schematics for the 92 seville, & Deville today off mitchell on demand, so im going to modify the wiring harness then so that I can turn on my interior lights while the radio is playing. I still wish i knew why the radio switches off and back on though. Mabey a small capacitor on the power line will help stop that?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I guess I can tell ya what i found out so far, and its depressing. The seville(Cause its newer & chevy didn't want to waste their extra manufactured parts for the older devilles by changing the wiring? so they stuck with the old design in devilles, although they updated the engine & body some?)...

Ok back to what I was saying. The BCM(Body Control Module) controles the RAP, on both cars.

In the Deville the computer gets its signal from the interior light circuit.

IN1 (door sw,int light sw)
OUT1 rap.

so, rap & int light both get current regardless.

In the Seville the computer gets 2 different signals for input & has two output, which is the same principal as a headlight relay. Instead of the switch taking the load, its the relay.

IN1 door sw.
IN2 int light sw.
OUT1 int light relay.
OUT2 rap.

so with the door open it would send current to 1 & 2, with the door closed and light sw on it would send current to 1.

Well, I would post the schematics if I could, but mitchell could probably get me for copyright infringment or something. Anyway, Im going to make a relay and try to find out which pins on the BCM to use, and how to wire this thing up, I may have to make a small circuit board. and also I think the reason that my radio kicks off and back on is because of the relay. when i switch the ignition off it takes a second for the mechanical part to switch. Im now looking for a solid state relay although i heard those type use photocells. I'll keep you guys posted though.

Peace,
Elijah

P.S. Oh yeah, and the car & I prefer slow jams, and early rap. not this new, hmm... obnoxious noise. Its all to chaotic now, and none of it seems to have meaning.

Edit -- 12-16
Well!, Got the schematics for the BCM, and found a aftermarket relay that has a socket, So Its done right! Im looking forward to getting this finished, and I'll post what to do & buy for any of you deville owners who want to do it themselves. looks to me like total cost will be ~$25 And the relay + socket will be most of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts