Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out why my car was missing HP for the past few months. I had a 10" lower pulley, New era cai, b&b cat-back exhaust, wait4me 640 cam, heat exchanger, ported blower.snout & tb, ngk tr6 plugs, 80lb fuel injectors, and no headers. I was making 602rwhp on a dynojet uncorrected, and it was only 575rwhp corrected.

I knew something was wrong because my car made 556rwhp with just a 9.5" lower and cai. I felt my car should have been in the mid-600ish rwhp (dynojet) with my mods based on others with similiar mods. I was told over and over that I need headers and that was my problem; however, Jesse and also premierJosh told me that I do not need headers. I was told that my stock cats were probably worthless with 16lbs of boost. Jesse recommended the cat delete pipe for $350.

Wow, that was the best $350 I ever spent. The bottom line: my stock cats were toast and causing my car to run rich which was hurting my HP. my air/fuel was 10.8 before the install of the cat-delete pipe. After the install, I gained 54rwhp and my car sounds and runs so much better. My new numbers 648rwhp and 647rwtq and I couldn't be happier with the results. I guess I would have had similiar results with headers w high flow cats; however, it was the cats that needed replacing, my stock manifolds are fine with 648rwhp.

I'm not sure how to figure out the corrected rwhp. I know it was much warmer and more humid this time so I assume my corrected rwhp is similiar to the uncorrected.

Attachments

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
finally back to where it was when it left my shop right?. I knew it was gunna be something simple... It was the only thing that made sense. Things just dont majorly change like that to kill a ton of power unless something broke or the cats went bad. Glad you finally chose to do the swap. Congrats on the power.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Nothing much, just drop boost a bit. Hp stays about the same, maybe up 1hp. Just like headers.

·
Banned
09' CTS-V
1,023 Posts
I've been trying to figure out why my car was missing HP for the past few months. I had a 10" lower pulley, New era cai, b&b cat-back exhaust, wait4me 640 cam, heat exchanger, ported blower.snout & tb, ngk tr6 plugs, 80lb fuel injectors, and no headers. I was making 602rwhp on a dynojet uncorrected, and it was only 575rwhp corrected.

I knew something was wrong because my car made 556rwhp with just a 9.5" lower and cai. I felt my car should have been in the mid-600ish rwhp (dynojet) with my mods based on others with similiar mods. I was told over and over that I need headers and that was my problem; however, Jesse and also premierJosh told me that I do not need headers. I was told that my stock cats were probably worthless with 16lbs of boost. Jesse recommended the cat delete pipe for $350.

Wow, that was the best $350 I ever spent. The bottom line: my stock cats were toast and causing my car to run rich which was hurting my HP. my air/fuel was 10.8 before the install of the cat-delete pipe. After the install, I gained 54rwhp and my car sounds and runs so much better. My new numbers 648rwhp and 647rwtq and I couldn't be happier with the results. I guess I would have had similiar results with headers w high flow cats; however, it was the cats that needed replacing, my stock manifolds are fine with 648rwhp.

I'm not sure how to figure out the corrected rwhp. I know it was much warmer and more humid this time so I assume my corrected rwhp is similiar to the uncorrected.
Glad to hear she is back:)

How much did the exhaust note change?

·
Registered
(V)icious Coupe
709 Posts
Awesome bro, congrats, glad you got the car straigthened out...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finally back to where it was when it left my shop right?. I knew it was gunna be something simple... It was the only thing that made sense. Things just dont majorly change like that to kill a ton of power unless something broke or the cats went bad. Glad you finally chose to do the swap. Congrats on the power.
Thanks Jesse, I appreciate it... You were right. I also appreciate you getting it out to me while you were out of town last week.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear she is back:)

How much did the exhaust note change?
It's a pretty significant difference. Keep in mind the b&b exhaust for the coupe was too quiet and now my car sounds like it should.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats man, I'm sure you are relieved. Go race your buddy again.
Thanks Josh, I decided to hold off on the cam swap. I might gain a little with the gt9 cam but i'd rather spend the money on a mod to keep my iat temps down, hmmmm..

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Your cam is a run off of a modified gt9. I had comp make changes to bring it better in line for our weight of our car, and boost levels / head profiles to make it better. I tried several grinds in different areas of changes before i settled with the final result and final cam grind on my car before settling. The cam you have in your car is better than a gt9 by 8hp as well. With a little less lift. That was on my car with only cam swap changes all other things staying the same. Then with head changes, ect... Lots of dyno testing/parts swapping...

Downgrading to a gt9 would be a waste of cash for you. I would do it for you for free though if that is what you would like to see the difference.. It would idle the same as you have now. You would just have less torque down low and have a few less ponies.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
1,729 Posts
Glad to hear you're finally getting some sleep. ;) Let me know as soon as you get a set of drag radials and we'll go to the track.

P.S, if you're going to throw that cam in the garbage let me know what day your pickup is so I can come and get it. :)

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 545 RWHP 591 TQ
72 Posts
Can you post a video or soundclip of your car? I also B&B exhaust and I would like to get an idea of how the car would sound with no cats. Is it a lot louder?

Also, my Viper smelled like ass with long tubes and no cats, have you noticed a smell since you removed the cats? I don't want my daily driver/kid hauler to reek everytime the windows are down.

Lastly, any idea of what the expected power increase would be with a 9.5 lower, intake and exhaust?

Thanks, and congrats on the newly found power!

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Can you post a video or soundclip of your car? I also B&B exhaust and I would like to get an idea of how the car would sound with no cats. Is it a lot louder?

Also, my Viper smelled like ass with long tubes and no cats, have you noticed a smell since you removed the cats? I don't want my daily driver/kid hauler to reek everytime the windows are down.

Lastly, any idea of what the expected power increase would be with a 9.5 lower, intake and exhaust?

I too had the same problem with my z06 and ended up putting HFC's back in, I have heard from many people and smelled Paschal Peformance's car and his didn't and others say they don't. I don't understand why, as no one as chimed in with a reason, but it looks like these cars don't smell bad with no cats. I understand why turbo's can pull it off, but I don't get why it works for us. Hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts

It's the same set up I have on my car except I didn't have the exhaust and I have just over 100 rwhp increase from stock You will get a bit more, maybe 10, with the exhaust. The exhaust on these cars really doesn't get you a lot, but it gets a better sounding and a bit more hp.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
Sounds similar to the experience I had with my Camaro with SLP longtubes Random Tech High-Flo cats. The sniffer test that is mandatory in Ontario every 2 years showed the HC and NOx levels gradually increasing over 2 tests and it failed the last one I did. The car seemed to have lost a bit of punch and was down about 15 km/hr in the speed I could reach at th top of Mosport's Andretti Straight.
So after talking to a couple of people I ordered a pair of Thunderbolt High Flow cats and it was almost like driving a new car! Much smoother and more responsive along with a noticeable SOTP difference in power and acceleration.
Oh yeah... and it passed the sniffer test after that!

Best regards,

Elie

1 - 20 of 47 Posts