Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why is it that CarFax appears to know the entire service history on my 2014 VSport (including entries made by the dealer while the car was being used as a service loaner), while mycadillac.com only has those service entries made after I activated the mycadillac account. I mean - if the service history is out there and obviously available to CarFax, why isn't mycadillac picking it up? Seems more than a little silly that a third party can access Cadillac history, while Cadillac's own software cannot.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
I recommend double check and research what carfax is showing. I just had an interesting email conversation with them. I opened a mycarfax account for my 05 V. After I had the account a month or so three years of service records showed up from a VW dealer in CT. I had already determined that the car was from CT and initially was serviced at the selling Cadillac dealer then a nearby Chevy dealer. All the entries from the VW dealer stated "vehicle serviced". Nothing else. And the mileage timelines did not add up. There was over 11,000 miles reported within three months then about 4,000 for the following year. The carfax rep came up with all kinds of questionable explanations about where the VW dealer records came from and how the mileage timelines played out. I forced them to provide an actual FULL carfax report so I could match it up to the mycarfax service records. I haven't yet accessed the full report but I think I might find some things that don't match up to mycarfax.

oh yeah I also have a myCadillac account. Last I looked at it there were NO service records. Not even the initial services from the selling dealer. But then again I believe the first two services were the only times it was at a Cadillac Service Department. Until I had the recalls completed. I'll have to get back into that account and see if those services were added.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. That is truly weird. But in my case, everything in the CarFax record appears to be legitimate and in a logical time and mileage sequence. In fact 100% of the entries were made by the selling dealership. But as stated, the mycadillac account has only one entry, that being the dealer visit made *after* I activated the account.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That seems weird. Is Cadillac not compiling service records unless a myCadillac account is active for a particular car?

Well just maybe... The carfax rep said as dealers come on board with them past records "automatically" populate. Same for myCadillac?

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,540 Posts
If you're depending on myCadillac or CarFax to compile the full history of your vehicle, you're missing a great source of data. I've had multiple Service Histories (including Build Sheets) emailed to me this week from salesman as I've narrowed my search down to one car. Try going to a local GM dealer and ask them to run the VIN for you as a courtesy; you might be surprised how much more thorough the information is.

I generally have had poor luck getting the complete story out of a CarFax report, however, this week one of the vehicles was flagged with an accident report (not shown on any of the GM-supplied reports.) After paying $5 for the accident report, I had a better feeling for the condition of the vehicle and what to look at during my inspection. The dealer even gave me a discount if I would purchase it, so it was $5 well spent. (The accident was minor and properly repaired, so I wasn't worried about it after my inspection.)

CCC

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely. I meant to mention that the next time the car is in for service, I'm going to ask for a full printout of the car's service history. (I'm 70 miles from the closest dealer, so it's not something I can just drop by and get accomplished.) I just don't understand why a service called "MyCadillac" doesn't know squat about the history of... well... My Cadillac. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
But where are the services records coming from? I'd love to see everything for my car but if a particular repair facility does not participate with all or any of these services there will be records missing.*

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went to the Owner's Center splash page and found the following plain English statement relative to mycadillac.com: "You'll be able to review dealer-entered service records, along with service records you add here or previously entered on onstar.com, if equipped." That tells me I should be able to see all dealer-entered records, right? We know the selling dealer has made 6 or 7 separate entries for my car in the GM system - otherwise, Carfax would not be able to display them. I'm going to PM Cadillac Customer Service on here and point them at this thread. There has to be a simple fix here... he said, confidently. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
We'd all hope... Funny though... Carfax has two old service entries from the selling dealer for my car and my recent visit is on there too but myCadillac still shows nothing. I wonder... My car was regularly serviced at a Chevy dealer by the first owner. Maybe with any luck all GM dealers are linked... *

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder... My car was regularly serviced at a Chevy dealer by the first owner. Maybe with any luck all GM dealers are linked... *
You would think so. Speaking of Chevy dealers, the place where I used to get my G8 GT serviced was a Chevy/Buick/Cadillac dealer. He lost the Cadillac franchise for whatever reason and as a result, he can no longer perform maintenance on Caddy's under the Premium Care plan. Incidentally, he is authorized to do Caddy recall fixes, but not the "free" maintenance.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to a CCS rep, via PM exchange here on the forum: any previous owner service history will NOT be displayed on Mycadillac.com, due to GM policy with regards to owner privacy. And oh BTW, as in my case, "previous owner" includes the selling dealer. So the 7500 miles worth of service data that was input before I bought the car (on a certificate of origin, it had never been titled) and activated the account, will also NOT be displayed. I am told I can get a printout of that data from the dealer, so as mentioned earlier, I will obviously be requesting same on my next visit.

This is dumb. That is, by the way, exactly what I told the rep; he entered same in the system as feedback.

Bottom line... as suspected, Carfax can show you previous data, but Cadillac can't/won't, unless you request it in person via printout from the dealer computer. Dumb.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,253 Posts
Roughly the same question was asked up in Seville about 7 years ago. The answer then, as now, was to go to your Cadillac dealer service lane on a quiet Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon and ask a service writer for the VIS printout on your car. The acronym "VIS" has changed to something else and data is only kept for somewhere back to the early 90s. When that was suggested I had no problems getting the printout, but I was also lucky in other ways - the car's original owner provided me with every piece of paper on the car since it was first bought in 06/2002; I bought it in 11/05 and have also kept everything in hard copy.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I asked for a printout of the car's service records yesterday, while getting the oil changed. The service advisor happily obliged and the printout was interesting, to say the least. For instance, not shown on either MyCadillac or CarFax but present in the "official" records, were the accomplishment of two recalls (wiper motor, trans shift cable) and one service bulletin (rear door handle cable routing). Seems neither of the aftermarket records-keeping schemes are much worth a hoot, IMO.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,253 Posts
Computers = GIGO (Garbage In; Garbage Out)

My STS has two "campaign stickers" in the engine compartmant. One for fuel tank pressure sensor recall, one for PCM reflash. Here's the pressure sensor sticker ..............(and both recall fulfillments are in the service records)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts