Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. Last weekend I tore into the motor in my car to replace the headgaskets. About 23 hours (labor time) later, my buddy and I have her up and running again. Problem is, my poor car has NO power! She's acting like the catalytic converter is clogged (revs part throttle, but can't build RPM when at WOT), but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Last night, I disconnected the down pipe at the manifold, and fired her up. Same problem, stumbles at tip in, poor idle quality, and won't build RPM past about 2k-2500 at WOT. I'm thinking vacuum leak somewhere, but just don't know where to start with the diagnosis. Does anyone have a schematic where all of this spaghetti goes? As far as I can tell, everything appears to be connected properly, but that is just based on where the lines seem to fall naturally. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did torque the heads and all rocker supports and pivots, intake, valve covers, etc... to the correct specs and in the correct pattern. I've done a little bit of research though, and didn't realize that I have to do the idle relearn procedure. Going to do this tonight. Hopefully that'll take care of at least some of the problem? At least help to make the car drivable? I'm really getting sick of waking my wife and kids up at 6:30 AM to take me to work.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I dont think the idle learn thing will help anything...... :(

Unfortunately, it doesnt have many sensors, so the computer wont really retard the timing..... But it does sounds timing related..... Might check that......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****UPDATE****
Going to take her into the dealer. She stumbles on tip in, and feels like she has a miss at WOT. Also, noticed during idle learn procedure that the exhaust manifolds are getting WAY hot. Definately some glowing going on. Dealer said that usually indicates that the comuputer is leaning the A/F mixture way out. Prob is, there isn't any adjustment for A/F or idle speed. Ideas? Getting a code for the electronic spark timing, and the IAC RPM out of range. The good news though, is that I have been able to drive it to and from work (30 mile commute each way) yesterday and to work so far today. I think I'll drop it off this afternoon at the dealer.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
To my knowledge,the only thing that controls AF mix is the MAP sensor and the O2 sensors......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
***** UPDATE, AGAIN*****
Last week, I took her to one of the local dealerships. They called me back and said that before they could do anything to affect the drivability, they need to replace my o2 sensor, my IAC motor, ground straps, and reset the timing. $860.00!!!!

NO.

I went and bought the o2 sensor, the IAC motor (bought for $85.00 vs. $149.00 that they wanted), had the downpipe donut gasket replaced, and performed the idle learn procedure. Total expense about $250-$300 bones.

ALL IS WELL IN MY HOUSE AGAIN!!

She runs like a champ, and we'll be hitting the road next week for our first road trip.

Thanks for your help, guys!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Glad you got her back going!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts