Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, not 100%.... nothing is ever 100% :)

Anyway, since I bought the car, the Service SSS light has been on, and it has never felt "right" I dunno, it just didn't feel very Cadillac-like, granted the car dosn't float, nor will any uni-body/strut suspension float (like a full frame, double A-arm chassis) it just rode rough and stuff.

Well, the rear air shock boots were torn, causing a leak and the back end to sag.

they were replaced with Monroe Sensatrac, perhaps the best mass market strut you could get, the springs were left alone.

Then since the car now needed a 4-wheel alignment, I figured may as well change the front struts even though they were "ok". So out they go, and Sensatrac go in, as well as new bearing plates, the stock springs were kept though, and for $20, I figured what the hell, replace both fron sway bar bushings with nice, new poly bushings. I practically have a new front end, minus tie-rod ends, ball joints and control arm bushings (which it would be better to just buy a whole new control arm, comes with the latter two items)

Then to top it off, I brought it to one of the best alignment places around, this guy makes a living doing alignments and suspension work, he does work on big rigs and everything, his machine, a Bee Line, was something like I have never seen before, and while other places will be happy with the car "in specs" this car wants it "perfect"

The end result, as I didn't really feel much until that amazing 4-wheel alignment... is, well, amazing.

the car simply glides down the road now, because the whole car is in alignment you can just tell it is not fighting the road anymore, the steering wheel is perfectly stright when going stright down the road, the bumps are taken so nice, not floating like the '79, but then again the car is designed differently, when making a turn onto a road or something, the car just feels like it wants to glide, it is rather amazing, and a whole new experience, I was surprised it made such a difference, but it did.

I reccomend Monroe Sensatrac to anyone (stay away from Gabrial junk at Auto Zone) and a *quality* 4-wheel alignment, the car will drive and ride like new.

·
Registered
1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
852 Posts
Did the SSS light go away after spending all that money? I have the service ride control light on and I can't find out exactly what it takes to make it go away.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, bulb was removed when I bought the car, then I found that out and put it in, only for it to be on... so tonight it cam out again :)

I will also unplug the BCM under the driver seat since it is no longer being used.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Glad you got her done.

A few years ago at Midas they warned ne about Monroes because many of their gas charged shocks developed leaks and they didn't like doing a lot of free warrenty work for people fixing the problem. They recommended Gabriels for the Grand Marquis and they are still excellent and I check them for leaks occasionally. I'm sure by now Monroe has the problem worked out.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Congrats Nightwolf. You have to post new pics with your "baby" sitting all nice and level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts