Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS Luxury III 135K
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The serpentine belt squeals really bad and it misses and hesitates when accelerating or going up hills what the heck could cause this????

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for details the belt squeals very loud when accelerating and will pulse like it will go then lose power then go then lose power and barely goes 30 up and hill and rpms go very high

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i need to check to see if it is throwing codes, this is my final stand on this car it has been a problem since day one and ill check the plugs and wires also this is a very recent event

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
will pulse like it will go then lose power then go then lose power and barely goes 30 up and hill and rpms go very high
Pull your diagnostic codes. You have transmission problems.

Have you checked transmission fluid level - with the engine warm, idling in P. There should be NO fluid on the stick with the engine OFF; it's a dry sump transmission.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are no new codes at all strange, then when i looked under the hood i was horrified to see the belt about half off, turns out i did not align the belt right when i put it back on , so i re-aligned the belt and then started the car and it ran fine except the chirp was still there i put water on top of the belt and it stopped until the belt dried, then i took it for a drive and it wasn't pulsing like before then the belt would only chirp when accelerating also i noticed the cars idle would go down some then go back up, then i took it home and turned the motor off and popped the hood and the belt was fine but i did notice some slight smoke and a rubber burning smell coming from the other side of the motor and it seems to be coming from under the water pump that is odd?

·
Administrator
72,802 Posts
Your water pump or water pump belt tensioner is about to fail - catastrophically. IF the seized tensioner bearing (is coolant temp OK so far ??) will destroy the main drive pulley - the big one pressed onto the cam extension - and then you're in a real fix. You CAN NOT drive the car until you either absolutely determine that the smoke is NOT coming from the water pump drive system, or, if it is, replacing the faulty pulley and belt.

Burning smell from UNDER the w/p ??? Coolant leak or oil dripping onto the front exhaust manifold crossunder pipe.

The main accessory drive belt - chirp - that belt is still misaligned somewhere.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the coolent level is ok and the car does not run hot i do have a very slight oil leak down there, also the w/p tensioner looks fairly new along with the belt on it and you know what when i bought the car the guy did say mention something about cam and water pump has been replaced plus that part is not a making a noise at all

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
it misses and hesitates when accelerating or going up hills what the heck could cause this????
Mine did this on my Seville and replacing all the plugs and wires fixed it. The Deville I just got was also doing the same thing, but the plugs were new so I replaced all the wires, which were original, and the problem went away.

On both vehicles, none of them gave me a code. But the going up a hill, which I have to do everyday to get home and its a long big hill made it easy to replicate the misfire. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
72,802 Posts
AC Delco#748Q wireset and AC Delco #41-950 Platinum Professional plugs.

Talk to Chris up in RippyParts ^^^ - Vendors.

I think that if you check in RockAuto you'll see the AC Delco under "Platinum plugs" instead of "double platinum". Not correct: #41-950 is a double platinum plug - platinum center electrode and platinum pad on the ground electrode. The same mistake is elsewhere in the site also.

Use this diagram - it's important. While you're doing the job, remove and clean the coils and ICM, particularly the ICM ground lead. You may find some oil on one or more plug bodies and insulators - not to worry: the wells are sealed by O-rings in the cam cover and they tend to leak over time. Change the plugs cold. Use a bit of anti-seize on the first 3 threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts