Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to a proformace shop to get the crank pinned. A must for any over boosted cars. And after 1.5 hrs of talking to the shop owner i have high hopes for my car. He has 45+ years in the auto racing world and experience tuning every make of car you can think of. With the N/A north star also he asked me how much hp my car makes when I told him he asked why so little. So I told him. Then he showed me dyno runs of a n/a north star with just exhaust that made 370rw after tuning. He told me my car stock he could have got me to 400+ rw just in tuning. He thinks he can get me to 520+ rw with my stock heat excanger and no meth. So next week he is going to tune my car. For free if he can not make over 500 if he does I need to take out a loan. Ryan

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If all goes well some time next week. He is near dc.

·
Registered
'12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am
248 Posts
Took my car to a proformace shop to get the crank pinned. A must for any over boosted cars. And after 1.5 hrs of talking to the shop owner i have high hopes for my car. He has 45+ years in the auto racing world and experience tuning every make of car you can think of. With the N/A north star also he asked me how much hp my car makes when I told him he asked why so little. So I told him. Then he showed me dyno runs of a n/a north star with just exhaust that made 370rw after tuning. He told me my car stock he could have got me to 400+ rw just in tuning. He thinks he can get me to 520+ rw with my stock heat excanger and no meth. So next week he is going to tune my car. For free if he can not make over 500 if he does I need to take out a loan. Ryan
Whoa, I would be extremely skeptical of this guys claims and his experience. And frankly, his tune.

No N/A Northstar is making 370hp at the wheels. None. Not with a tune. Not with exhaust. Not with an intake. Not headers. Not with bigger cams. Not with all of that combined. And not even close with just an exhaust and this guy's magical tune. Or more likely its his magical dyno. The motor stock makes ~240whp. The factory tune is not THAT far off that there's another 130 whp in there with an exhaust. You're working with an N/A 4.6. There's just not that much you can do with it to make huge gains over stock without spinning it far higher than the 6600 redline. And I doubt the stock rodbolts are going to survive 8k.

Same with his claims of 500+ with the blown N*. To make more power it needs more boost. More boost makes more heat. More heat needs to be removed either with meth or a better intercooler setup.

Seriously, watch your wallet (and car) with this guy. His claims are highly, highly inflated. And make him warranty his work. A free 500whp tune is of no use if he blows up your motor on the dyno running too much timing and too little fuel.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,906 Posts
Whoa, I would be extremely skeptical of this guys claims and his experience. And frankly, his tune.

No N/A Northstar is making 370hp at the wheels. None. Not with a tune. Not with exhaust. Not with an intake. Not headers. Not with bigger cams. Not with all of that combined. And not even close with just an exhaust and this guy's magical tune. Or more likely its his magical dyno. The motor stock makes ~240whp. The factory tune is not THAT far off that there's another 130 whp in there with an exhaust. You're working with an N/A 4.6. There's just not that much you can do with it to make huge gains over stock without spinning it far higher than the 6600 redline. And I doubt the stock rodbolts are going to survive 8k.

Same with his claims of 500+ with the blown N*. To make more power it needs more boost. More boost makes more heat. More heat needs to be removed either with meth or a better intercooler setup.

Seriously, watch your wallet (and car) with this guy. His claims are highly, highly inflated. And make him warranty his work. A free 500whp tune is of no use if he blows up your motor on the dyno running too much timing and too little fuel.
That's all exactly what I was thinking. Without a intercooler upgrade, and I don't mean heat exchanger, 500rwhp is not going to happen. Lots of people think I'm an a-hole for saying it, but these blowers suck.

Before you say "GizmoQ made 501rwhp with his!" remember that his car was dynoed on Jesse's dyno right before a near stock STS-V put down 490rwhp, later to put down 422rwhp on a Dynojet somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trust him with my car and money will it make 500 I cant say but 480 would be good. And so do other car owners he has a barret Jackson car their to get rewired sold for more then $100,000k he would not say for shore. As for tuning he thinks I need more fuel and he is going to tune my cams for the added boost. As for cooling he said on the dyno it will be fine but adding a bigger heat exchanger would be ok as well as a holding tank for more coolant. I have both just not on the car yet. So some time next week we will see what he can do. At this point it's all talk but the cars he had in the shop looks like he can also walk the walk. Ryan

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,906 Posts
Cool. Hopefully you can get some good results out of the deal. Even though I bailed on the supercharger I'd like to see how much power can be had from one.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok just an up date they have pinned the crank in my car as of to day. Now time to tune it maybe tomorrow if not Monday for shore will post on Monday what happens.

·
Registered
'12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am
248 Posts
All I'm saying is be skeptical of those who make claims far outstripping what veterans of a platform have been able to achieve, especially with some "magical" techniques never before used. I've seen it before, specifically an (infamously) well known Vette place in Westchester, NY just outside of the city, who bragged about years and years of experience, and made absurd claims about their "special" tune getting heads/cam type numbers out of LS1/2/6 Vettes. And their customers, who were mostly the silver-haired wallet mechanic set, bought into it. Until a few people started making pulls on someone else's dyno and coming up very short on hp, or having the motors let go because genius decided to throw 32* of advance in and call it a day.

I just don't like shops taking advantage of people and I've seen it too many times. It's misleading, like when guys think the hot bartender really likes them, because they're being told what they want to hear.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I will go to my normal dyno to test it to see what is what.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
That's all exactly what I was thinking. Without a intercooler upgrade, and I don't mean heat exchanger, 500rwhp is not going to happen. Lots of people think I'm an a-hole for saying it, but these blowers suck.

Before you say "GizmoQ made 501rwhp with his!" remember that his car was dynoed on Jesse's dyno right before a near stock STS-V put down 490rwhp, later to put down 422rwhp on a Dynojet somewhere else.
Yep, that was me, and you guys sure set me straight! Ryan, as long as you know it's a gamble, and you seem to, then go for it. I agree it sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that. I hope it works out well.
Dave

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so my life's been crazy lateLee the shop did pin my crank but I did not have them tune it yet. Do to what went on in my life over the weekend. All started out well took my speed boat out for the first time this year and it over heated on me. Might be a $600 fix or a $2000 fix if I warped the heads at all. And to top it all off I droped my iphone in the bay just to top off the day. So they will still tune my car just going to hold off for now.
But on the good side of the weekend I intimated a new zr1 in to not wanting to play with me. He commented on how nasty it sounded. So that made me feel good. Then I ran my c5 and v down the highway I was In the vette my friend in the v. 55mph to ??? The v had me for 3/4 of the race till I got to over 5500 in 4th gear. Not what I tought was going to happen. So this brings me to change what I was going to do and go to the track.
1st [email protected] 1.98 60ft
2 [email protected] 1.88 60ft
3 [email protected] 1.72 69ft after that and the car was still runing and the time I was having I went home happy as a clam. So with more tuning and better heat control mid 11s might be in my future. If I ever get home for more than 5mins I will scan in the time slips to post up. My c5 runs [email protected] 1.85 60ft so my so car might become my fast car. Rear end and trans worked fine btw. Will keep every one upto date on track times and tuning when I finally go. But now back to my other money pit. Poker run are calling me. Ryan

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
Ryan- Have you put in your Front Mount?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No but it was in the trunck if that counts. It's painted and I have all the lines and just no time but bags of ice work at the 1/4mile track not so good at the road courses.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
24 Posts
Very cool. What happened between runs 1 and 3 to drop almost a full sec? Other than the pinned crank, what mods do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts