Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Cadillac ats rwd 2.0t automatic 153,000kms

Driving home after work today it started chugging. I just assumed it was because it was low on fuel. Before I left my house I put a little bit of pretty fresh regular fuel out of a can in my garage so I could make it to town to get some premium fuel in it. It stalled while backing out of my driveway. Just assumed it had some air in the line or what ever. About 3 minutes later I get reduced engine power, Speed limit reduced, service stabilitrak, traction control off, engine light on, engine over rev. Car driving very slow no power, very hard shifting while slowing down. I kept driving thought it was because of regular fuel. Got some better fuel in it, everything was good again. Until a few minutes later it did it all again. Shut the car off for a awhile it all goes away. But now its shutting off while driving and I noticed a misfire while idling when it was cold with no warning lights on.

Please help

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Much of those issues are expected when there is an engine power delivery issue. Stabilitrak and TCS are disengaged because they cannot work properly when the engine isn't performing as designed. With severe misfire or a large deviation between ECM commanded torque and developed torque, engine power is reduced and speed is limited to prevent further powertrain damage; under these conditions the transmission is also in a protective mode and shifts will be harsh because it is trying to minimize any chance of damage to clutch packs since the TCM cannot rely upon the ECM to properly control torque delivery under its command due to the other issues.

As suggested by previous poster, start by checking for stored DTCs (both active and historical) and go from there. The base issue is power development and once that is addressed the other issues should go away. The odd one is engine over-rev and when you get odd codes, especially this time of year when rodents start looking for winter homes, damage to a wiring harness from mice is always high on the list. If you find evidence of this, it is probably going to require a comprehensive insurance claim because unless the damage is very limited it will get expensive and most dealers are going to replace an entire wiring harness section instead of repairing damage. Keep in mind with the GM strike that any parts not already in the dealership network are going to be a problem.

Rodger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The car Runs perfect. Kinda rough when it's cold. But 5 minutes of driving and it reduces power, stop shut the car completely off for about 20 seconds and it's good to go for a another 5 minutes. It won't go into reduced power when it idles. But put it in drive and just sit there and it does it. This is frustrating, I can't have downtime on this car and I don't have the cash right now to have a shop look at it. Any theories at all that could be causing my issues? I appreciate the info so far 👍

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would the Fuel pressure regulator in the scan be the culprit?
Good question, it could be. That code doesn't indicate that the regulator is the problem, just that there is low pressure at the regulator.

There are a couple of things that could cause low pressure depending on how the system measures this metric.

Could be a faulty fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, bad fuel regulator, vacuum leak, fuel leak, and a few more things. I do strongly think that solving this issue, will likely resolve the other two(and vice versa).

If you aren't really handy or have the diagnostic tools, you may want to leave it to the dealer. Since Direct Injection came in to place, if not bled right the fuel could release at such a high pressure that it will easily cause abrasion to the skin and thus entering your blood stream, which isn't good at all.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It could well be the problem however you could also have a fuel delivery/pressure problem. I noticed this started possibly due to a low fuel issue. Do you commonly run the vehicle very low on fuel? This is very rough on the low pressure fuel pump (tank mounted) which is fuel cooled and the high pressure pump (engine mounted, camshaft driven) really doesn't like being starved for fuel.

If you feel mechanically competent, you could try replacing the FPR and going from there but be aware that you are dealing with a high pressure fuel system at the regulator point and it can create problems if you are not meticulous in your work. You have both an increased fire risk from spraying high pressure fuel and a small leak with bare skin close to it can inject the fuel into the skin layers. Like hydraulic systems, NEVER check for a leak with your fingers. I would leave this one to the dealer and if out of warranty a good aftermarket shop. Again keep the strike in mind because some of those parts may hard/impossible to get right now. I have a friend with a 2 year old Corvette indefinitely stuck in the service bay awaiting parts that won't be available until the strike ends and they begin to move again.

On Edit: I see CadillacGM just posted and I agree with his assessment, we have the same thoughts about this system and its dangers for the uninitiated. I remember when I bought a John Deere tractor a couple of decades ago the instructions came with the number to call in Moline where a JD medical person would instruct YOUR physician in proper treatment if fluid from a high pressure hydraulic leak was injected into the skin to avoid gangrene and other undesirable outcomes.

Rodger

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow......I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my health and well being when it comes to this type of repair!!!

On a side note, I've work for John Deere for over 40 years and they take personal safety very seriously. Letting a trained technician do this work is worth the pain and expense.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Wow......I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my health and well being when it comes to this type of repair!!!

On a side note, I've work for John Deere for over 40 years and they take personal safety very seriously. Letting a trained technician do this work is worth the pain and expense.
I bought my 955 Deere compact utility tractor back in 1995 and those nice graphic emblems of people wrapped around the PTO shafts definitely got my attention. The 955 now has about 800 hours on it and outside of regular maintenance and a few idler pulleys (grease fittings were designed out of the idlers) on the 72" midmount mower deck it has been completely reliable. It mows 5 acres of lawn a couple of times a week, road sides and along the creek with a rear mount deck, and does a lot of work with its loader and rear blade. It made installing the feed cable from my standby generator under the driveway MUCH easier a few weeks ago. One of the best purchase decisions I have made and it is fairly easy to work on although some of its Japanese heritage lack of friendly parts placement is evident in some areas.

Rodger

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought my 955 Deere compact utility tractor back in 1995 and those nice graphic emblems of people wrapped around the PTO shafts definitely got my attention. The 955 now has about 800 hours on it and outside of regular maintenance and a few idler pulleys (grease fittings were designed out of the idlers) on the 72" midmount mower deck it has been completely reliable. It mows 5 acres of lawn a couple of times a week, road sides and along the creek with a rear mount deck, and does a lot of work with its loader and rear blade. It made installing the feed cable from my standby generator under the driveway MUCH easier a few weeks ago. One of the best purchase decisions I have made and it is fairly easy to work on although some of its Japanese heritage lack of friendly parts placement is evident in some areas.

Rodger
Yes.....your John Deere tractor is a Yanmar based vehicle we joint ventured with decades ago. I worked on drawings to release this tractor, but never learned Japanese translation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts